SID Patches from Sidstation

Ian_Hurlock

Hi there all.

I posted a thread some time back re getting use of the " SIDSTATION"patches that are available from the Elektron site.

Does anyone know how to get the MB SID to understand these patches ? They are syx files. But hat's all I can help with :P

It would be nice to add to our collection from that.

Ian

Hi Ian,

the data structure of the SIDstation has been published in the manual, so in theory it should work with a simple conversion script. However, due to the different sound engines the results will not be the same. But it would be a nice possibility to increase the number of patches - I will try this sooner or later ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 5 months later...

I also have thought about reverse engineering the SID station patches to get some inspiration for new sounds (and try to get some of the Giraya sounds I heard on their website!)

Since I don't have the specs on some things (ie. how fast the LFOs oscillate), I can't write a converter just yet - also some things aren't convertable without some clever wavetable useage (eg. interleaving an envelope and an LFO - aka. "lace").

But my curiosity has got the better of me, so I will write a tool to view the SIDStation patches in human-readable format. At least then we can see what they do and manually make a patch to emulate it with the MB SID. (This of course will be multiplexed along with MB SID construction and other MB programming tasks ;-) )

Regards,

Wilba

P.S. We need to locate and interrogate a SIDstation owner.

But my curiosity has got the better of me, so I will write a tool to view the SIDStation patches in human-readable format. At least then we can see what they do and manually make a patch to emulate it with the MB SID. (This of course will be multiplexed along with MB SID construction and other MB programming tasks ;-) )

a SIDstation patch viewer would be a really helpful tool with a high fun factor for people who like to tweak sounds (like me) - I don't need a 1:1 patch converter, but some inspirations from premade patches are always welcome :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 months later...

Evening folks,

I spent few moments reminding myself of C++ programming and created a simple patch reader that reads SidStation patch SysExs and displays the information. Unfortunately I have no idea whether of not the extracted data is correct. (Sorry, no perl nor python here :) )

The utility source code files are available at

http://sammal.ton.tut.fi/~paulus/ssPatchReader_0.1.tar.gz. I have compiled them only in linux, so any other OS a big question mark. I guess it should port quite nicely.

Please, do send comments and feel free to develope the code further. And if you create any cool new sounds with the help of this utility, please do share them with other SidBoxers.

And a small question for TK: is the patch SysEx format of SidBox available in anywhere else than within the source code of the JSynth?

--

JobeC

Yep, the structure is also documented in "sid_sysex_table.inc" in a readable format and you can be sure that this table always matches with the implementation ;-)

Thanks for your work! Unfortunately currently I don't have that much time to try it out - I will check your program next weekend :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 months later...

Hey  JobeC

I ran ur utility on SidStation_Presets_r1.syx and saw the prompt window fill with all manner of SID info as the conversion took place...however, shudnt there be some kinda output .syx file - or have i missed summin>? Cos atm it just closes the window when it's done and thats it..

Cheers

That's just what it is supposed to do (for now at least).  :) It just reads the patch file and displays the contents, no conversion takes place. The conversion itself is not so direct, since the inner functionality of MBSid and SidStation differ a bit.

As the program displays quite much information when run, I recommend that you direct the output to a file and inspect that afterwards. I.e sspr_cmd patch.syx > file.txt

I can try to implement some kind of a crude automatic conversion (and a GUI), but I won't promise anything.

(Edit 22.7.) Some kind of a conversion routine is now almost done. As I expected, there is a lot of differences between MBSid and SidStation, so the conversion result is probably quite poor. The structure of a "normal" patch is about clear to me, but the wavetable is somewhat unclear. I.e. I didn't find any good reference on how the patch has been constructed, so WT conversion is not done. (I'll publish the new sources and binaries after I've implemented also the WT conversion and tested the routine.)

--

Jouni

Hi JobeC,

as I´m very interested in this project I downloaded and read the SidStation manual. In my opinion, almost everything can be emulated by the MBSid. E.g. the LFO "sample and hold" (quantisation) could be done by modulating a LFO by a faster negative Saw LFO. Even the LFO interlacing could be done via the WT sequencer (only for one pair of LFOs by switching the MOD-Matrix).

The WT sequencer is actually quite limited compared to the WT of the MBSid. the only problem I see is that there are four parameters that can be changed every step. But most patches don´t do this, so you could set either Sync or Ring as third parameter in the MBSid WT.

One thing the MB can´t do is to have three independent WTs for the three OSCs so for patches using this feature there won´t be a solution. Also SidStation-WT AND interleaved LFOs won´t be possible in one patch.

I suppose I didn´t tell you much you didn´t know before :) I´m just brainstorming out of curiosity. But if you like to discuss some problems/ideas feel free to PM me :)

Seppoman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally I managed to get the system into a state, in which I can make an alpha file release. At this stage, there are classes that model patch banks, individual patches etc on both SidStation and on MB Sid. I tried to make them so that someone could make a patch editor using those classes, so they contain a bit too much stuff for only this conversion routine.

There is also a simple conversion program implemented, that reads a SidStation patch bank and then prints the contents and/or tries to convert it to MB Sid format. The actual conversion is still _very_ crude, but at least it is a start.

The release contains sources and binaries for linux and win.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=116852

Have fun!  :)

--

Jouni