MIDI-fying a Casiotone 501

unrise_lyrical

Hey all. So I just scored a bargain on ebay. An excellent condition (almost flawless) Casiotone 501. One of these bad boys:

94a43366.JPG

Sadly in the picture I couldn't see if it offered MIDI out or not, but on picking it up I realised it has a MS socket...whatever the hell that is. Looks kind of like a midi socket...but not. Is it possible to modify the keyboard for MIDI out? I only have a 25 key axiom at the moment...so if I could get reliable midi out from this keyboard it would be excellent.

I picked up one of those at the markets about a year ago for $5

I gave it to my friends 5 Year old daughter.

Cute little keyboard.

For all the effort & money you would put into installing a midi out on that keyboards, you could pick up a 4 octave controller for 1/10th the price.

Play it & sample it... (Especially the beats)

I know thats not much help... sorry.

Regards

Mike

A MIDIO128 should do the trick, if you are happy with no velocity (ie note on/off only).  Personally, I'd be far more interested in getting MIDI in to that old beast, especially the drums :)

General hacking information on your keyboard is possibly here.

A wooden fullsize key version of this instrument was apparently released as Casiotone 501.

/

The main PCB is vertically divided into 2 halves / The left PCB contains / only the analogue percussion with 3 trimmer pots for snare, base and woodblock decay.

Muahahahahaha!!  DO WANTS!!

If you do turn your lovely wood-cased Casio into a controller, then there would be lots of space left inside for other hardware.  For example, an MB64e for controller knobs, or a SID/FM for a self contained synth.  Then you can mail me that drumboard  ;)