Pro Tools Compatible?

Shorty

Ok, so I posted under Design Concepts and should have posted it here.

So is it possible to use a LC type build like Axels or Docs in Pro Tools, Sonar, Logic, Nuendo, Reason, etc?

Maybe in HUI emulation mode of some sort?

Could someone please read my other post in Design Concepts and let me know if I'm on the right path here?

My Control 24 isn't making me happy anymore, but the Harrison, Neves, and SSL's I've been working with are.

I've got a line on a Harrison and a Neve, but I want to fully automate it without spending $11,000

This looks like a viable, very achievable option as I discussed in my other post, assuming the Midibox platform will work in Pro Tools for me at least.

the lc can be used in hui mode, you can also build an mb controller and assign anything on there to do whatever you want, as long as you know the relative commands for the interface/daw software or if it has a midi learn function in your daw then use that on each encoder fader and button and then save the mapped preset as a default load , you could also save the setup on a bankstick as well

the other thing is , if the desks faders are audio faders then you would need to get dual strip faders with seperate strips per fader for audio and for fader automation as you cant mix the both. im sure one of the other guys will explain this in a more succinct way than myself.

i had a console here recently that i thought about automating however as the required faders were ridiculously expensive it never came about.

The original LC has an HUI emulation, but I'm quite sure the MidiBox LC 1.6 code does not implement that.

Maybe you could emulate some commands of the HUI protocol by looking at the spec and modifying the source.

I should think it's not such a big deal, as LC/HUI protocols are mostly standard midi messages.

The biggest problem IMHO would be to find drop-in replacement faders for your console with audio/position tracks that are compatible with the MF module.

There was a C project around that was called "MIDIbox MM", with MM standing for Motor Mix, which basically emulated the CM Motormix (which works excellently with ProTools). Here is the forum article. As it is not listed under projects any longer, it is discontinued, and I guess TK will not provide support - but if you ask him nicely he might be willing to give you the code so you could fiddle around with it?

Best regards, ilmenator

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is of interest to me as well.  I've only just begun exploring the world of midibox, so expect lot's of newbie misinfo from me...  but I think both HUI and M@ckie MMC protocols need to have a midi "ping" sent back to the host DAW for them to be recognized by the software.  While lurking on this forum I remember stumbling upon this info, but I'm not positive it was confirmed correct and implemented into any firmware.  Anybody know?  Do I need to put on my dunce cap and go sit in the corner? :P

• 1 year later...