Another Low-Budget-MB with ELKO probs

clem!

Awesome! I have one 6581 r4ar, a bit different sound from the standard 6581. But strangely just about every one of my 6581 sound different (or not so strange as i've been reading) Nice work

Hey I have that same Korg keyboard, some crazy FM sounds out of that. I forget the model number of that - I dropped it unloading after a show and broke several keys and the casing, then decided to take the entire keyboard off it and mount the boards into a small rackmount. :)

Thanks for the replies

forget the model number of that
it´s a kOrg 707, it was my first midificated-synth and costs me 800 DM has some great FM sounds - I like the brassy ones - very special!
What kind of encoder
don´t know it´s out of an ADD-two, twenty years old - maybe it is Densitron or s.t. like that, thank you very much for your great work TK. The case is selfmade - out of 1 mm aluminium-panel-sheet (I think 1,5 mm would be better, maybe next time). PCBs are fom Mike.
wood cheeks are always nice
of course, in this case they are a little bit to slim, but I will change that with the full control panel.

The SID sounds better than I thought - never had a C64 by myself, I started with an Atari ST 1040.

Now I will test the Bankstick ;-)

Best regards and thanks for the great work here

clem!

In some building centres you don´t need to pay for wooden rests - you find them in the grabberbox.  :D

But my sid has an achilles´ heel - the two wallmount PSUs make problems to upload a firmware because of the power consumption - I allways had to pull the 4x20 lcd.

Now I switched of the light.  :-[ In the final version with knobs I will use a stabilized PSU of an external harddrive I think - this will be more stable.

Best regards

clem!

Hi there,

some bad news from my MB. Now it smells a little bit strong - and it doesn´t come from the pots ;) - coz one elko from the sidboards lifts up - hope the sid wasn´t hurt  >:(

Who´s got experience with s.t. like that? Do I need to exchange more than the elkos. I´m no electronic engineer.

Best regards

clem!

it´s a 16V one!!!

5571_3aa7533ddc85ecd986f3de21169cc7427f5

Edited by clem!

You've either put the elco the wrong way around (reverse polarised it), or you may have a rectifier problem that is putting AC on the cap. Either way, you must replace it - it won't be safe after that swelling.

Best bet is to take the chips out, replace the cap, check the rectifier position, and check to make sure there isn't a shorted diode in the rectifier, or a solder bridge, then power up and test for the right regulated voltage with no chips before re-installing.

If it's the right way around, and the rectifier is working fine, the you may just have had a bad capacitor.

Is an Elco an electrolytic capacitor?

It took me ages to figure that out, if its even right that is!

Yes it is: can be 'slang spelled' as 'ElCo', or 'Elko' or sometimes 'ElCap'. I tend to use the longer name of 'electrolytic', usually. I think ElKo is the German short name - they spell 'Kondensator', but German technical names always sound the most impressive anyway.

the sid-board works again after changing the electrolytic capacitator (sorry for the unenglish spelling - elko - when I wrote it I didn´t realized that it´s a German expression).

I´ve changed them from both SIDs eventually those 2200µF 16V ELKOs elcaps I had in the kit aren´t the best choice.

Best regards

clem!

• 1 month later...

mmh,

that´s bad - had not enough time this weekend only soldererd encoders, switches and LEDs on the board.

But here you can see a construction pic. Think the joystick will only fit below the matrix.

I´ve paid only 2 EUR for the wood but because of the cs this won´t be a low-budget-mb anymore.

clem!

5784_e02459f1ce5b0d4c32ee3abe1ea4f8814b9

Edited by clem!