MIDI-to-CV with preset memory and polyphony- Is IT Possible?

Astronom

Greetings to All,

I have few questions:

1. Would it be possible to control large modular synthesizer with 48 CV inputs or even 96 with MIDIBox?

2. Can MIDIBox store presets and send them to the synthesizer via CV?

3. Would it be possible to have polyphony via MIDIBox, for example if I have 16 VCO's can MIDIBox send notes one after another or several at the same time?

4. And finally is there a way to have auto-tune function with it?

Ok I´m not a guru but I´ll try to answer like a special one :)

1. Would it be possible to control large modular synthesizer with 48 CV inputs or even 96 with MIDIBox?

What do you understand by control? - maybe it helps to read at ucapps.de "AOUT" can be a starting point.
2. Can MIDIBox store presets and send them to the synthesizer via CV?
Theoretically this could be possible but does your synth support it? Do you have the specs of the protocol? Are you able to programm it?
3. Would it be possible to have polyphony via MIDIBox, for example if I have 16 VCO's can MIDIBox send notes one after another or several at the same time?

yes polyphony is possible
4. And finally is there a way to have auto-tune function with it?

that sounds very tricky, because for that you had to input the output signal of your synth into the midibox.

Best regards

clem!

Lemme first answer to clem's answers ;)

Ok I´m not a guru but I´ll try to answer like a special one :)

What do you understand by control? - maybe it helps to read at ucapps.de "AOUT" can be a starting point.

I am sure he means CV, as that's what he explicitly asked for MIDI-to-CV (midiboxCV) ;)

Theoretically this could be possible but does your synth support it? Do you have the specs of the protocol? Are you able to programm it?

That's the thing. A modular synthesizer doesn't really have a protocol. It has knobs and it has patch cables.

yes polyphony is possible

...with the right software ;)

that sounds very tricky, because for that you had to input the output signal of your synth into the midibox.

Correct, tricky... but doable. Well kinda. You can obviously not [with decent effort] control all the tuning trim pots in a VCO, but you could "adjust" the "finetune pot".

Astronom: What you are describing here is a very, very complex idea. To save patches of a big modular system (16 VCOs is a pretty fargin big one) you'd need a very elaborate system. It would need a gigantic digitally controlled routing matrix (virtual cables), to save "presets". So the simple answer is: While technically/hypothetically possible, no, you can't really control the entire modular and save patches, unless you are very very good with electronics and have a lot, and I do mean a lot, of disposable cash.

I think you should dive in and read up on modulars a bit more, that should answer most of your questions.