In anticipation of MidiboxLink & SIDControlSurface

NorthernLightX

Hi,

i guess this post is more or less directed to Thorsten.

First, I hope I'm trying not to ask you what you deemed "classified" in your last post to me, but I want to make sure I can re-use the modules I buy and/or construct before commencing the project:

1. If the SID Control Surface is finished, can the current MIDIBoxSID modules be plugged into it, or will the design of the SID module change?

2. Will the SID Control Surface connect directly to Pots or Encoders and LEDRings, or will it need extra DIN and DOUT modules for this? (The latter option will make it more customizable I guess 8) )

3. Will the Sid Control Surface connect between the SID module and the DIN/DOUT modules (or directly to the pots/encoders) with the SID module connected to the CORE, or will the Control Surface itself connect to the  CORE module (and then also to the SID module etc.)?

4. When MIDIBoxLINK is finished, can the current CORE module be plugged into it or will it require adapted modules? (I can imagine that the "slave" modules need some parts removed...)?

5. I have made a module-based schematic (in paint, very primitive :) ) of my will-be MIDIBox, but unfortunately I can't attach any pictures on this board. I would have liked to post it for review, and I don't have  a webspace.

If you can't answer these questions because you don't want to make promises, consider them suggestions.

Best regards,  Alex.

As an addition to my previous questions:

I'd rather have the SID Control Surface replace the Core module entirely. As I pictured situations in my previous post the Control Surface would need many functons the Core already has, so it would be a waste of resources to have these features on both boards.

If a modified Core module would send incoming data (knob tweaks, buttons pressed, etc.) to the SID module not in MIDI, but in "machine language" that would probably be all of a Control Surface you'd need, wouldn't it? The Core can already:

- accept pots, encoders, and buttons as inputs

- accept leds and ledrings as outputs

- accept LCD

- accept bankstick

What more do we need?  8)

Hi,

the answer is simple: the SID firmware will handle the control surface, so take one core module to drive the SID *and* the control elements, and attach other core/SID pairs to the first module via MIDI or MIDIbox Link as slaves.

I'm currently not sure if the surface should have only LEDs/LCD/pots/buttons, or some additional encoders, or some additional faders, or some LED rings.

So please understand that I don't want to make any statement regarding the reuse of modules for the SID surface. You can only be sure, that I will not redesign modules which are already established by the MBHP just to have a more elegant solution for the MIDIbox SID.

Btw.: I will evaluate my ideas for the MIDIbox Link next week, thereafter I will create two new pages: one page which describes all the possibilities, how to interconnect MIDIboxes to other MIDI instruments or boxes (MIDI In/Out, Gameport, RS232 and MIDIbox-Link), and another page which gives more details about the MIDIbox Link itself, the protocol, the possibilities.

Best Regards, Thorsten.