• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the info on R12!

i'm soldering my FM core atm

:D

Ah, good timing!

BTW As Wilba discovered you need to keep the leads from the core to the FM board short, preferably under 10cm, or things get unreliable.

The interconnection from the Core to the FM module is a bit complex to do with headers.  I tried this approach and then fried my LCD so I had to cut it off.  When I went to solder a new LCD on (I've got plenty of replacements now :-) it was making my head hurt to figuring out which wires went where so I decided to just make a "normal" LCD cable and solder the FM module ribbon cables to the bottom of the core as recommended by TK (so one end was soldered directly to the core pins on the bottom of the PCB and the other side has 2 female SIL headers).  Having tried both methods, I'd recommend soldering directly to the core as in my second attempt.

I'll have to post a pic of my FM module.  Once I finish up the bulk order I plan on making a control surface PCB (unless I decide to just do it on perfboard).  It would be my first PCB so we'll see how that goes...

Update: All international orders are packed and boxed with address labels affixed.  I still have to fill out the customs forms and print / attach invoices to the outside of the boxes and then I'm ready to go!  Still looking good for Saturday shipping.

BTW I tested each display before packing each in an anti-static bag and wrapping each individually in bubble wrap.  I found one display of the 70 I've tested so far that had a very, very minor defect (part of one pixel always stays on).  It's very minor (I'll probably use that display myself on my MB-SEQ) but I'm glad I caught it.  Anyway, each display I'm shipping should work 100%.  If it doesn't it was either damaged in shipping somehow, you soldered it wrong, or you left in R12 without an IIC module. :-)

I shipped all the international orders today!  We filled a whole cart - see the pic for the "work in progress" at the post office.  Boops, I think the top box is yours.  :)

I will send out an email to each of you with the customs # for your shipment later today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyone being so patient.  I hope the displays bring lots of green goodness to your MB projects!

I still have 11 left so tell your friends!

5751_387d770a097dc15fcd066cbf04deb0b8c54

5751_387d770a097dc15fcd066cbf04deb0b8c54

Nicely done...

See, I told you bulk orders were easy!  :P

Well I won't rest easy until all the LCDs arrive safely, but I think the hard part is over.  I'm glad I'm handy with Excel and mail merge in Word since otherwise this would have been a ton more manual work.  Sorting through the post office stuff was a huge pain, but thankfully SmashTV guided me expertly through the process, so huge props to him for that.  Those receiving international orders will have an email from me that will look eerily familiar if you've ever ordered from SmashTV's shop before. :-)

Thanks again for all your help Wilba- it really made a huge difference.

If I ever do this again (who knows?) it will be *much* easier given all I've learned.

@Sirkit - Plenty LCDs still available, order away!

Great news that everything is showing up so quickly and in good shape!  Thanks for letting me know.  I hope the other packages arrive quickly.  I followed SmashTV's instructions carefully so hopefully everything will go smoothly.

@olga42 - I guess you're familiar with Austin (I just added that I was from there to my profile last night, LOL)?  Funnily enough I had someone in the office ask me if I wanted to go to Chuy's for lunch earlier today but unfortunately I had already eaten. :-)  As for live music, this weekend is the Austin City Limits Music Festival so I'll be doing that for the next 3 days!

@olga42 - I guess you're familiar with Austin (I just added that I was from there to my profile last night, LOL)?  Funnily enough I had someone in the office ask me if I wanted to go to Chuy's for lunch earlier today but unfortunately I had already eaten. :-)  As for live music, this weekend is the Austin City Limits Music Festival so I'll be doing that for the next 3 days!

Haha, this would be way OT, but sometimes you gotta pay respect to the Elvis shrine. Plus, we must all get our obligatory "Keep Austin weird" T-shirts from somewhere...

Now back to Mountain Dew, Aout and SSM-based good unclean fun. Enjoy the festival!

Wow, the post is moving fast this week!

@olga - Man, I wish I had gotten in the MB community to get some of Seppoman's PCBs (your comment reminded me to sign up).  Hopefully he'll do another run soon.  In the meantime I guess I can buy a second Moogerfooger filter so I can do stereo, or I can always use this as an excuse to get a small modular setup (and possibly add in an external ADSR at the same time...).

@turuloid, boops - glad everything arrived safely!  SmashTV's advice probably paid off in making things go smoothly through customs.  Glad you liked the packaging, boops. :-)  Maybe next time I'll splash out for the anti-static warning stickers instead of tape on the anti-static bags for that ultra-professional look...

@turuloid - That's an interesting filter, thanks for the link!  In general I'm not wild about the idea of using hard-to-find chips, but Seppoman's board is nicely integrated w/ the AOUT_NG so it is rather convenient.  But those MOTM modules do look *very* nice!