MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

TK.

Thanks for the helpful input!

So... Beta7 is available, this time with following features:

[tt]

o a new label editor allows to enter track and pattern names so fast and easy

like typing a SMS on a mobile phone. Use the first 10 GP buttons or encoders

to cycle the characters (like on a telephone keypad), and the remaining

buttons/encoders to select a character directly, move the cursor, delete/insert

characters, selecting a preset (with the encoder) and to exit the editor.

This picture says it all - I really like the new entry mode - it's essential for fast filename entry of future features! :)

trkevnt2.gif

o implemented synchronous pattern change after x steps (x=1..256)

This function has to be enabled in the UTIL->OPT page.

The same number of steps is used for the Synch-to-Measure function.

o implemented Follow Song mode. It has to be enabled in UTIL->OPT menu.

o a warning message will be print if Synch-to-Measure is enabled, and a

track length greater than steps per measure is selected.

o CC number selected in Track Event and LFO Configuration page now has to be

confirmed with GP button below the appr. item.

A warning message will pop up to notify about this unusual data entry method.

In addition, the value will be marked with '!' so long it doesn't match with

currently active value.

o fixed various minor bugs

[/tt]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Your daily update... (ok, for tomorrow I haven't scheduled a new version ;))

ChangeLog of Beta8:

[tt]

o now your MIDIbox SEQ can play MIDI files, either exclusively or in parallel to

the 16 sequencer tracks.

MIDI files have to be copied into the /midi directory of your SD Card.

To select a MIDI file, go to the UTIL->DISK->PLAY page, and select

the desired modes (Exclusive/Parallel and Loop on/off)

o MIDI file import and export prepared in UI, but not implemented yet!

o MIDI port used to send a SysEx dump now selectable in file list browser

[/tt]

Have fun! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

...Thorsten, Im lacking the words ... got to ... click... beeer....

Cheers! :)

Can you use mios to import and export the midi files?

Yes, since MBSEQ can already play MIDI files, importing the data and doing the reverse thing is only a question of defining a good user interface, e.g. for track/range/resolution/event mode (note/CC or drum) selection

It would be interesting if the MIDI file player works with all your .mid files - the parser has only been tested with my own files so far.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Some small bug report:

beta8 plays MIDI file (fade to grey.mid) and Mclk In/OUT is USB1 on/on (even with off/off or off/on).

If i try to sync this with ableton (EXT SYNC), i do get flucutating (around 800-900 BPM) on the Display and

a synth inside this behaves the same, e.g. the sync between the mbseq and ableton is not possible :-(

Also once a midi file has been selected it will always be played when you start the sequencer.

Question:

When Pressing C on Trigger Layer, i get the Assignment window (a-H), is that correct ?

Pressing C on pattern layer shows me Note/Vel/Len Menu, also correct?

synchronous pattern change is working great. It makes it real fun to switch patterns on the fly and stay in sync. And it will be more fun when I get the leds soldered :)

About the midi files. I havent used midi files very much in the past but if I could edit them on the mbseq I would start using them more often. are they stored in a song bank? or would it lay out the midi tracks from the files to each track on the sequencer when in pattern mode. It would be interesting to go to options and select midi player view and be able to mute and unmute the individual midi tracks form the mid files like you would in the mute page and edit each mid tracks notes from the edit mode the same aswell. You could have a pop up warning to tell you your in "midi player view" Then I could assign a function button to make short cut so I could handle classical midi files and seq beats in dj fashion:D

I would probably guess that this would be hard to do because the patterns loop and midi files don't. This is probably to much to ask for.

I think if the midi files could start synced to mb internal patterns we'll be set.

Thanks again,

echo

beta8 plays MIDI file (fade to grey.mid) and Mclk In/OUT is USB1 on/on (even with off/off or off/on).

If i try to sync this with ableton (EXT SYNC), i do get flucutating (around 800-900 BPM) on the Display and

a synth inside this behaves the same, e.g. the sync between the mbseq and ableton is not possible :-(

It should work now (beta9).

In distance to the previous solution, the sequencer core is not disabled anymore in "Exclusive mode". Instead, the tracks will be muted (not visible in Mute page yet - will be done later)

Also once a midi file has been selected it will always be played when you start the sequencer.

The MIDI file is now properly synchronized to the running sequence.

This was really hard work at my side - I hope that all possible cases are covered! :-/

When Pressing C on Trigger Layer, i get the Assignment window (a-H), is that correct ?

Yes, because there are 8 trigger layers, I had to find a way to make all layers selectable, so that no additional "Trigger Selection" button is required.

Pressing C on pattern layer shows me Note/Vel/Len Menu, also correct?

Yes, so long more than 4 parameter layers are configured.

I guess you configured it for 8 or 16?

If a track only consists of 4 parameter layers, ParLayer C button will toggle between layer C and D

synchronous pattern change is working great. It makes it real fun to switch patterns on the fly and stay in sync. And it will be more fun when I get the leds soldered :)

cool! :)

About the midi files. I havent used midi files very much in the past but if I could edit them on the mbseq I would start using them more often. are they stored in a song bank? or would it lay out the midi tracks from the files to each track on the sequencer when in pattern mode. It would be interesting to go to options and select midi player view and be able to mute and unmute the individual midi tracks form the mid files like you would in the mute page and edit each mid tracks notes from the edit mode the same aswell. You could have a pop up warning to tell you your in "midi player view" Then I could assign a function button to make short cut so I could handle classical midi files and seq beats in dj fashion:D

I would probably guess that this would be hard to do because the patterns loop and midi files don't. This is probably to much to ask for.

Yes, thats really too much!!!

A MIDI file is just a stream of MIDI events, MBSEQ plays this stream to the end and optionally loops. Editing this stream would require a lot of work at my side which I don't really want to do.

You could import the stream into one or more tracks, edit the events there, export back to a MIDI file and play it again... it's like rendering one or more patterns to a file, and play them as a single additional pattern in parallel to the 4 patterns which can be edited interactively. I will use Meta events to embed track parameters, so that they won't get lost during export/import.

You could also export tracks/patterns/songs to a file, edit them with your DAW, and import back to MBSEQ. Currently I don't know, how comfortable this can be realized... due to all the options, the usage could get complicated.

Adding even more features for the MIDI file feature would make the usage even more complicated.

In short: I would like to keep it simple.

I think if the midi files could start synced to mb internal patterns we'll be set.

thats possible now.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

ChangeLog beta9:

[tt]

o If a sequence is already running, the MIDI file player doesn't cause a restart

anymore. Instead in automatically synchs to the next 16 step based measure.

o Track Event page: to trigger the Init function, GP16 has to be pressed for

2 seconds (a message will be displayed to inform about this)

[/tt]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

- When using USB1 as input for Ableton Live and SYNC to USB1 (from MBSEQ) and accepted from Ableton: I get BPM of 999

(irregardless of MIDI File Play or just sequence play) ( Haven't tested MIDI OUT yet).

This could be a feedback loop.

In the BPM page, disable MIDI Clock In and Out for USB2, USB3 and USB4.

In addition, disable MIDI Clock In for USB1, or select MIDI Clock Master Mode (instead of MIDI Clock Auto Mode).

Or at Ableton Live side: ensure that MIDI clock is not sent to MBSEQ.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hello TK

I just noticed a little issue with ,guess what, the BLM:

The parameter "BLM_BUTTONS_NO_UI" in MBSEQ_HW does seem to work:

No matter if set to 1 or 0 the buttons on the MATRIX always behave like a dublicate of the GP buttons

instad of only triggering the steps.

And also a wish for an improvement of the copy - paste function came across my mind:

It would be more convinient if the settings of the EVENT page would be copied with the Track.

But I would not really care too much if it stays the way it is, if it would require too much work for

just a little more convinience.

By the way, I am having really much fun doing some "beta testing"

(which is just an excuse for severe impatience)

The new drum mode and esspically the FX features

are fantastic!(just to mention a few things)

Once again, thank you very much for this grat toy!

Best Regards

Gridracer

hey Tk.

On v9 I was changing patterns and noticed that they sync start when the 256 steps are cycled because that is what I set the "sync to measure" option to. before i uploaded v9 the behaviour was different in that the pattern would change every 16 steps even though I had the options set to 256 steps. I actually liked being able to cut quickly into new patterns. Could you implement a "pattern switch every ** steps" option?

regards,

echo

This could be a feedback loop.

In the BPM page, disable MIDI Clock In and Out for USB2, USB3 and USB4.

In addition, disable MIDI Clock In for USB1, or select MIDI Clock Master Mode (instead of MIDI Clock Auto Mode).

Or at Ableton Live side: ensure that MIDI clock is not sent to MBSEQ.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

For sure, that is an Clockfeedback! In Live you can use only one Method of syncing. Ableton as Master or as Slave! When you check both options in the Midi Dialog the Result is an Feedback.

Regards

Schritti

Beta10/11 is available.

From the ChangeLog:

o Tracks/Patterns/Songs can now be exported to a MIDI file.
The appr. menu function is available under UTILITY->DISK->Export

o a simple MIDI In/Out monitor page has been added.
The page can be entered via MENU+MIDI->MIDI Monitor (GP 16 button).

MIDI Clock and Active Sense events are filtered by default. The
filter option can be changed by pressing SELECT in the MIDI Monitor page.

o separated "pattern length" from "measure length" parameter in UTILITY->OPT menu.
Pattern length is used for synchronized pattern changes, and measure
length for the Synch-to-Measure function.

The left encoder below the item allows to select 16 step wise, the right
encoder and datawheel stepwise.

o Paste/Clr behaviour option in UTILITY->OPT menu implemented now

o HWCFG file option "BLM_BUTTONS_NO_UI" implemented now
[/code]

(Beta11 contains two bugfixes for Beta10 - thanks to Gridracer for testing!)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

As described at the User Manual: Hardware page, the 4x16 BLM is already supported.

For future, I consider to create a new 16x16 button/LED matrix, this time built on a PCB to avoid all the soldering effort. Probably it will be based on MAX7221 chips as serial shift registers and LED driver. Once I have the hardware, I can add a sophisticated SW support. I'm planning a lot of functions for such a matrix, like direct drum track editing (all 16 instruments in a view), direct track mutes editing (all 16 tracks in a single view), setting loop points, alternative pattern selection (as 256 buttons are available), etc...

It's even feasible to cascade 16x16 matrices to a giant display ;)

I just noticed this. This is amazing!! You are the best TK! I'll instantly start building an MBSEQ with lots of buttons as soon as this is possible! Luckily I have a few projects to finish first, otherwise I couldn't stand the anticipation ;)

Anything I can do to help?

RGB-LEDs might also be a cool idea for the matrix, that would open up lots of possibilities for functions later.

Cheers,

flip

Anything I can do to help?

Wilba already helps with the layout of the upcoming MBHP_BLM_SCALAR (a scalable button/LED matrix)

RGB-LEDs might also be a cool idea for the matrix, that would open up lots of possibilities for functions later.

So, you would pay more than 300 EUR for buying 256 RGB LEDs instead of ca. 50 EUR for 256 Duo-Colour LEDs?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Beta12 is available now:

o Tracks can now be stored into/loaded from preset files on SD Card.
This features opens some new possibilities:
- you can store your favourite track configurations, melody lines,
drum loops, etc. in separate files to recall them later
- you can prepare drum maps for different instruments
- you can prepare CC setups for different instruments
- you can share the files (which are stored in the preset/ directory)
with other users
- you can view and edit the files with a common text editor.

The preset functions are available in the MENU->EVENT page

You've to create a "presets" directory in the root directory of
your SD Card before using this feature (the DOSFS driver used
by MBSEQ doesn't support "mkdir")
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Of course, the MBHP_BLM_SCALAR concept allows to connect RGB LEDs, and the transfer protocol considers this as well.

But this is more an option for people who like the excotic stuff.

It isn't an option which I would prefer for myself.

Do you really want that we create a layout for an EBay article which is only available for a short time in small quantities?

There might also be an issue with the power consumption. More than 5A require a different concept for source/sink drivers. They will be expensive as well.

Do you really want that *all* people who are interested on PCBs have to pay much more money compared to the Duo-Colour option just because a small number of people think that RGB *could* be useful? ;)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: there is always the option that those people interested in RGB LEDs could create their own PCB layout for buttons/LEDs, and use the same BLM_SCALAR board.

Of course, the MBHP_BLM_SCALAR concept allows to connect RGB LEDs, and the transfer protocol considers this as well.

But this is more an option for people who like the excotic stuff.

It isn't an option which I would prefer for myself.

There might also be an issue with the power consumption. More than 5A require a different concept for source/sink drivers. They will be expensive as well.

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

Do you really want that we create a layout for an EBay article which is only available for a short time in small quantities?

Do you really want that *all* people who are interested on PCBs have to pay much more money compared to the Duo-Colour option just because a small number of people think that RGB *could* be useful? ;)

No, of course not! I just thought it would be cool as an option.

P.S.: there is always the option that those people interested in RGB LEDs could create their own PCB layout for buttons/LEDs, and use the same BLM_SCALAR board.

Yes, I was thinkig about illuminating lots of pushbuttons instead of button pads, similar to the arcadebutton monome clone, but with much smaller buttons.

Best,

flip

• 2 weeks later...