MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

TK.

@midilab

why would you do that ?

i had latency issues when using midiseq with cubase, but in the opposite direction... everything was too early... to manage these "audio delays" i had to implement the midibox as an "instrument" but with audio not connected. when then routing the "not connected" audiochannel to the same bus as my vsti, the delay is gone...

maybe you could also try "custom grooves", setting them to a negative value... like tk said, this is only midi ticks not ms/us.

sm:)e , n:k

Hi,

Unfortunately this is hard to implement - resp. if I would change the sequencer engine to cover this request, it would have a disadvantage on MIDI timing accuracy (which I find more important than such a feature)

Background: in distance to common MIDI sequencers running on a PC, the event handler of MBSEQ doesn't schedule MIDI events based on time, but based on the MIDI clock tempo.

This results into a higher accuracy. This also allows to change the tempo during runtime without re-scheduling MIDI events (especially important for MIDI Echo Fx)

As a side-effect, the granularity of the scheduler interval is independent from the time. It isn't possible to delay events with uS accuracy, only with "midi tick" accuracy, which depends on the tempo, and which is higher than 1 mS (e.g. at 120 BPM with 384 ppqn, it's ca. 1.302 mS, at 140 BPM it's ca. 1.116 mS)

For a high accuracy and stable delay compensation, I recommend the usage of audio delays!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Uhmmm now i can see what you mean, i have take a look at the core and it will really mess things with this request...

Audio delay is the way i manage this things, but in the other side i have think about this feature because it will let me setup everything inside midibox, but any way, will not work the way i have think about it.

But... it will be possible to use the bpm_tick_delay of seq_core_trk_t to get tick delays for a specific track?

Im asking this because i use to get some cool grooves doing this shifts in time with each track? because with hardwares for example will be no way to setup audio delays.

Thanks TK!

@midilab

why would you do that ?

i had latency issues when using midiseq with cubase, but in the opposite direction... everything was too early... to manage these "audio delays" i had to implement the midibox as an "instrument" but with audio not connected. when then routing the "not connected" audiochannel to the same bus as my vsti, the delay is gone...

maybe you could also try "custom grooves", setting them to a negative value... like tk said, this is only midi ticks not ms/us.

sm:)e , n:k

I have think about this because i got a live project with other 2 people, each one receiving the master clock from my midibox, and each one use ableton live for sequencing and sound generator.

And basicly we got this problem to get everybody in sync with no strange delays for messing with the song. TWe do this nowdays manage audio delays, geting my sound engine as main reference and setup the time delay with audio delay, but we need to do this one by one, and its time consuming to do this on each PC and with no main audio monitoring reference for everybody. But, it could be done...

Thanks for the trick, i will try it! :)

I could do that with custom grooves, but it will be a little bit time consuming, because its track based(i need to setup each track to get groove on), and my problem since i got 2 other peoples, each one receiving the clock on a dedicated port, will be easier to be solved with delays in a port based manner.

I could do that with custom grooves, but it will be a little bit time consuming, because its track based(i need to setup each track to get groove on), and my problem since i got 2 other peoples, each one receiving the clock on a dedicated port, will be easier to be solved with delays in a port based manner.

Couldn't you just add a cheap PIC-based MIDIbox for each of your buddies that delays the MIDI clock data? The user interface could be very simple, just a rotary encoder to set the delay in whatever unit is convenient, and a display (3 1/2 LED numerical to make it cheap).

Couldn't you just add a cheap PIC-based MIDIbox for each of your buddies that delays the MIDI clock data? The user interface could be very simple, just a rotary encoder to set the delay in whatever unit is convenient, and a display (3 1/2 LED numerical to make it cheap).

:)

Good idea! if i could not solve this problem with only midibox seq4 i will build up one like you said.

Thanks for the idea man!

huh? as long as i know, you can delay midiclocks in ableton in both directions negative/positive...is this not working for your needs? sometimes i needed to push them real hard like 50 ms or so to...at least they stay in sync.

Yeah i know, i use it a lot, but think about, what if we could control this inside midibox? and save it by sessions... it would be preaty nice! :)

• 2 weeks later...

just to report... i´ve found another bug...using "pitch" as parameterlayer, and then changing values, leads to "grabage" values like it did before with the CC layers...

confirm anyone?

thanks (again)! Will be fixed in the next version :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

V4.055 is available for download:

MIDIboxSEQ V4.055
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o LPC17 build: optimized MIDI IN handling

o LPC17 build: MIDI clock can now be received over MIDI IN1..4

o SysEx forwarding via MIDI router working (again)

o MIDI router supports 16 nodes now! (previously only 8)

o fixed bug in PitchBender Editing mode

o added new MIOS terminal commands:
- display network informations, modify network and OSC settings
- display MIDI router informations, modify MIDI router settings
- change BLM port remotely
- "store" and "restore" the session remotely

o BLM now supports Lemur on iPad
Example configuration (we assume that iPad IP address is 192.168.1.110):
- set osc_remote 3 192.168.1.110
- set osc_local_port 3 8000
- set osc_remote_port 3 8000
- set osc_mode 3 1
- set blm_port OSC3
- store
(the commands can be entered in MIOS terminal).
On your iPad, set the IP address of your MIDIbox with port 8000

o BLM now allows to record MIDI notes in the keyboard page
[/code]

Have fun! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi!

Thanks, and Happy new year!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Sorry, but after testing : I can't get sysex thru MBSEQ.

Could be something wrong by my side?

Edit:

Sorry,I was too fast!!!

Of course, problems in my side.

Working perfectly! :tongue:

TK, you are KING!

Thanks again.

Best regards, IGI

Edited by igi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thorsten,

Is it possible that "clear" also resets/changes the tracklength since a few versions? Observed on the lite and on the big SEQ V4... it would be great to revert to the old behaviour, if possible (of course, only if I did not miss anything essential here :-))

Also, but this is probably not easily possible, would you think that "UNDO" could revert to the last track notes, just like it was before the previous live recording "session"? Probably not, because another track buffer would be required, but if it would be possible, this would be a total killer feature and great for trying out variations with just a single button press to revert :-) (I know, it is possible by pasting the track from the track copy buffer on the SD card on the big seq, but on the lite ? :-))

EDIT: Sorry, just installed the SD card on the Lite and then it works very nicely with copy + paste, all is good :clover: (in fact, it was documented, all blame on me :-)).

Btw: the lite rocks massively! :-) - Will put on a few pictures and hopefully a demo soon :-)

Thanks for that wonderful piece of new hardware :)

Best regards!

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Is it possible that "clear" also resets/changes the tracklength since a few versions? Observed on the lite and on the big SEQ V4... it would be great to revert to the old behaviour, if possible (of course, only if I did not miss anything essential here :-))

The tracklength was always re-initialized, but it shouldn't be a big problem to save & restore the previous setting in a future firmware version. It definitely makes sense!

Also, but this is probably not easily possible, would you think that "UNDO" could revert to the last track notes, just like it was before the previous live recording "session"? Probably not, because another track buffer would be required, but if it would be possible, this would be a total killer feature and great for trying out variations with just a single button press to revert :-) (I know, it is possible by pasting the track from the track copy buffer on the SD card on the big seq, but on the lite ? :-))

An automatic store which doesn't lead to unexpected results is too complicated... use copy to make a backup, use paste to revert the backup.

Note that MBSEQV4L already stores the copy buffer of all 16 tracks on SD Card.

Fur future MBSEQ V4 release I'm planning to do the same, since this method saves some RAM and works fast enough. This will make the Multi Copy function obsolete as well (than less special modes, than better...)

Thereafter the free RAM could be used for other purposes :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...

hi at all!

i have already search but don't found the answer!

i have put my name some time ago on the seq v4 wilba pcb and kits bulk order list, on the wiki, i am at the end of the second list.

What's the aproximate time you have to wait to have one? is this list always active??? thanks at all i need an aproximate advice, i can't wait a year or two for a hard seq i need one relatively quickly, will take a cheap mpc if it's too long for the waiting... thanks at all

MIDIbox SEQ V4.056 is available with a huge list of changes (based on latest requests) - in the hope that the remaining functions are still working! ;-)

MIDIboxSEQ V4.056
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o pattern page: the ALL button now allows to change all patterns
to the same number at once (banks won't be influenced by ALL button).

o the ALL function will always be turned off when changing to another page.

o song page: the previously "Stop" action has been renamed to "End" - it doesn't
stop the sequencer anymore, instead it only exits song mode and loops the
current pattern set endless (e.g. to fade out or as bridge before you select
the next song).

o song page: press SELECT+GP16 to take over the current pattern set into the
selected song position - this function can be used for quick song/phrase edits.

o song page: in song mode it's now possible to select a phrase with GP buttons
(like in Phrase mode).
Difference: the song positions will be played until they are looping or "End"
is reached. This allows to split a song into multiple parts which are
interactively selected.

o song page: Fwd/Rwd button change also the edit position in song page

o if the sequencer is started in song page, the song will directly jump to the
current edit position

o the main page now displays the effective BPM. If in slave mode, the received
BPM will be displayed.

o the BPM digit display shows the received BPM in slave mode.

o new layer type: program change
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

the main page now displays the effective BPM

This is the edit page, right? Am I too blind to see it ... ?

/edit: got it, it's actually the page that you get when pressing "exit", does that have an official name ? I call it just "Menu" myself.

/edit2:

On anther note: when selecting a tempo on the tempo preset page, shouldn't it flip back to the BPM page ?

Edited by stuartm

It's the Exit button since it exits the page and enters the main menu (or main page ;.-))

Tempo presets: I've no preferences for the button behaviour in this page - so, if nobody votes against this, BPM page will be entered after a preset has been selected in the next version.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

TK,

I use the preset page a lot while playing live, often while playing a keyboard at the same time, so I would prefer things to stay the same.

Perhaps you could implement a selection option like the cursor mode so that those who want can have the BPM page displayed after a preset is selected.

Regards

Tim.

Me too - this was the original intention of this page.

On the other hand I agree with StuartM that the handling is unusual.

An option for the behaviour: only if much more than one user requests this! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

V4.057 is available now - it's only interesting for LPC17 users:

MIDIboxSEQ V4.057
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o improved MIDI OUT throughput for LPC17
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.