MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

TK.

Gonna drill that usb hole this week!

I played wth my fiends Korg Monotribe and having a lot of fun with it. One thing that it does that I wish MBSEQ would do is the extra 8 steps in between the regular 8 steps. This was added to v2. The really nice thing is that to get to the other steps all you have to do is hold the instrument select key down and the sequence row will change to the other steps. I know MBSEQ can change dividers on every track but it would be Sooo nice to have this feature as I have never jived with MBSEQ's roll and I would have to use up 2 tracks on MBSEQ to achieve this.

This could be accomplished by simply holding down the track select key of the track you want to input the dotted,triplet, etc steps. Then you would see a new set of empty steps to edit and when you let go the regular steps are in view again. I can see that there would be problems with trying to hold the track select, parameter layer and notes and turn knobs s maybe it should be "hold track select for 1&1/2 seconds to enable to in-between steps. I am sure there are other complications such as the way we currently hold down several track select buttons to do a muli-solo. Although I do not find myself using that feature often as the mute page suffices.

What do you think?

Regards,

Edited by Echopraxia

• 2 weeks later...

I have think about some nice add to seqv4.

Use Mixer to hold sysex data, so we can automate sysex dump during live sessions.

How it will be?

When you are inside Mixer page and select the 'new' parameter Sysex, you could just send your sysex setup and the Mixer page saves it for you, assign that sysex data to the track that have receive it.

Internally how it works?

We could use the /SYSEX/ dir to put all data inside like that:

/SYSEX/MIXER/[MIXER_NUMBER]/[TRACK_NUMBER].syx

So each time we dump a Mixer data, the Mixer also dump the sysex data for that track.

For me! quite very ultra usefull to full backup of tracks, for example backup also the Synths sysex sound data.

What you guys think?

And what you TK think about the implementation of that stuff?

Midilab

[]'s

• 1 month later...

TK, I think I have stumbled upon a bug during my lemur interface creating..... when accessing the BUTTON_DIRECT_TRACK1...16 feature the track would only change if the new one selected was in the already selected group. I assume this is not the correct behaviour - here is my fix I'm using in my local copy:

static s32 SEQ_UI_Button_DirectTrack(s32 depressed, u32 track_button)

{

static u16 button_state = 0xffff; // all 16 buttons depressed

if( track_button >= 16 ) return -2; // max. 16 direct track buttons

if( depressed ) {

button_state |= (1 << track_button);

return 0; // no error

}

button_state &= ~(1 << track_button);

if( button_state == (~(1 << track_button) & 0xffff) ) {

// if only one select button pressed: radio-button function (1 of 16)

ui_selected_tracks = 1 << track_button;

ui_selected_group = floor(track_button/4); //<<<<added

} else {

// if more than one select button pressed: toggle function (16 of 16)

ui_selected_tracks ^= 1 << track_button;

}

// set/clear encoder fast function if required

SEQ_UI_InitEncSpeed(1); // auto config

return 0; // no error

}

Note that the correct function of this feature requires, that the remix page

is assigned to a dedicated button. This has to be done in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file

(new entry: BUTTON_PATTERN_RMX) - e.g. you could assign it to F4

So i'm about to build a Midibox. I REALLY like the remix feature. It's something that I've been asking from MANY sequencer makers

but nobody has been able to provide an acceptable solution and it appears that you have. We need the ability to "DJ" a Live set and the ability

to drop in certain tracks in a transition state is perfect!

Anyways, since I don't have a built Midibox Seq v4, and I'm in the planning phases, would I be wanting to have a Dedicated button just for the remix feature?

Is that possible? Or is F4 not being used, and why you were suggesting it above?

This will be the first of MANY questions.. Thanks!

Cool, another fan of the Remix feature! :thumbsup:

For a dedicated button you can assign the function to any free DIN pin in your MBSEQ_HW.V4 file, which should be stored in the root directory of the SD Card

See the content of this file for further informations.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Need some guidance with the dedicated remix button assignment. I successfully updated to 4.058

This is what I changed in the MBSEQ_HW file

# Following button functions are usually assigned to Fx

# buttons, or to dedicated (labeled) buttons

# In Wilba's frontpanel layout:

# F1 is located at SR 19 Pin 3

# F2 is located at SR 18 Pin 2

# F3 is located at SR 18 Pin 3

# F4 is located at SR 17 Pin 2

# and there are dedicated buttons for Copy/Paste/Clear/Utility/StepView

# SR Pin

BUTTON_TRACK_SEL 19 3

BUTTON_BOOKMARK 18 2

BUTTON_PATTERN_RMX 18 3

BUTTON_PATTERN_RMX 17 2

(They are only in bold to show you what was changed) I tried it on two different "f" buttons separately and then on both. The track select and bookmark manager views come right up when I select them on the hardware but the remix buttons don't show anything and act unresponsive. Am I missing a line of text anywhere? Can someone help please?

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Echopraxia

Did you already exclude that this is related to a hardware issue?

E.g what happens if you write:

BUTTON_TRACK_SEL 19 3
# NOT USED # BUTTON_BOOKMARK 18 2
BUTTON_PATTERN_RMX 18 2
[/code]

does this allow you to control the Remix function with the "bookmark" button?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

A new release is available:

MIDIboxSEQ V4.059
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o added Euclidean Rhythm Generator for drum and synth sequences.
The page can be entered by pressing&holding SELECT in the edit menu -> GP16

o fixed stack overflow which happened when incoming OSC messages were forwarded
to OSC in Live mode (they are now automatically filtered to avoid feedback loops)

o fixed group selection in BUTTON_DIRECT_TRACK1...16
[/code]

Background infos to the Euclidean Rhythm Generator:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_manual_m.html

and

Have fun! :smile:

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The Euclidian sequencer is very nice, very accessible, especially with that pattern display on the right !

Regarding the Remix page: Killer !

Just one thing I haven't wrapped my head around yet: when I do a full pattern switch (not remix), not all of the mixer map settings are sent.

Is it somehow related to the tracks ?

The Euclidian sequencer is very nice, very accessible, especially with that pattern display on the right !

Regarding the Remix page: Killer !

Just one thing I haven't wrapped my head around yet: when I do a full pattern switch (not remix), not all of the mixer map settings are sent.

Is it somehow related to the tracks ?

Strange... I have test at my side and everything is ok, could you please confirm that theres no track markerd to be remixed when you do the pattern change? Some times a track could be in mixed state for a lot of pattern changes until you deselect him.

If theres some track marked to be mixed down it will appears at the bottom of rigth LCD marked with a X...

If nothing there, could you please send me a copy of your Session directory for me to trying to reproduce this and check if there are some environment config that could be affecting the dump of mixer tracks?

What mixer map settings are not being sent? its only for a single track? more than one track? only one parameter? or there are more than one parameter not being sent?

Best Regards,

Midilab

Hi Tk and everyone else,

I've been playing with the recent 4.059 upgrade and +1 thanks for the amazing Euclid generator!

Recently I've tried to create an entire track on the MBSeq using the Phrase mode and I have some questions:

When setting a group of patterns in the Song / Phrase screen, the default is that the Seq uses 1:A1, 2:A1, 3:A1, 4:A1. Is there a way to modify the x in the X:A1 patterns, other than using the Select > Take over current patterns function?

I run my MBSeq synced to my DAW as a Midi clock slave. When using the GP buttons in Phrase mode to switch between sets of patterns, is there a way to synchronise the switching between patterns to the beat? I tried a couple of recordings today and experimented with the SyncChange and RATOPC options but the Phrases seem to jump immediately when I press the GP (so that the MIDI synced recording in my DAW ends up off the beat)...

Thanks in advance

David

I run my MBSeq synced to my DAW as a Midi clock slave. When using the GP buttons in Phrase mode to switch between sets of patterns, is there a way to synchronise the switching between patterns to the beat? I tried a couple of recordings today and experimented with the SyncChange and RATOPC options but the Phrases seem to jump immediately when I press the GP (so that the MIDI synced recording in my DAW ends up off the beat)...

actually scratch that bit, I realised today that the skip is created more by the program changes I was sending from the Mixer. MBSeq is perfectly in time without them :)

When setting a group of patterns in the Song / Phrase screen, the default is that the Seq uses 1:A1, 2:A1, 3:A1, 4:A1. Is there a way to modify the x in the X:A1 patterns, other than using the Select > Take over current patterns function?

yes, just change from Pattern to Bank selection with encoder #8

this usecase is considered in v4.060

Quick question, is it possible to have the pattern be completely empty after initializing a track rather than the quarter notes turned on?

Yes: store your configuration without the quarter note triggers as a preset, and recall it whenever you need it.

Intention behind the default triggers: you will hear the selected instrument, this speeds up the selection of MIDI port and channel.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

MIDIbox SEQ V4.060 is available now.

ChangeLog:

MIDIboxSEQ V4.060
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o fixed initialisation of MBHP_AOUT module

o Song Mode now provides a "Guide Track" which can be configured
by pressing SELECT in SONG page: the length of this track defines
the loop length and once the last loop has been played, all tracks
will be synchronized to step 1.
This allows to program breaks with a step length which is independent
from the measure.

o Phrase Mode now syncs the pattern changes to the measure of SyncChange
is set in the UTIL->OPT page

o Phrase Mode manually triggers the "synch-to-measure" option for all tracks
to ensure that all tracks are re-synchronized to step 1

o MBSEQ_HW.V4 files: changed encoder mode to MIOS_ENC_MODE_DETENTED3
since it's compatible with most encoders
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Yeah! Great work TK! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But i have to watch out to use the generator not on every track :ahappy:

By the way: the update is tagged with a wrong date on the ucapps start page (2012-07-03)

Best regards

Marxon

Need some guidance with the dedicated remix button assignment. I successfully updated to 4.058

This is what I changed in the MBSEQ_HW file

# Following button functions are usually assigned to Fx

# buttons, or to dedicated (labeled) buttons

# In Wilba's frontpanel layout:

# F1 is located at SR 19 Pin 3

# F2 is located at SR 18 Pin 2

# F3 is located at SR 18 Pin 3

# F4 is located at SR 17 Pin 2

# and there are dedicated buttons for Copy/Paste/Clear/Utility/StepView

# SR Pin

BUTTON_TRACK_SEL 19 3

BUTTON_BOOKMARK 18 2

BUTTON_PATTERN_RMX 18 3

BUTTON_PATTERN_RMX 17 2

(They are only in bold to show you what was changed) I tried it on two different "f" buttons separately and then on both. The track select and bookmark manager views come right up when I select them on the hardware but the remix buttons don't show anything and act unresponsive.

I'm seeing the same behavior. I updated to 4.060 and edited the MBSEQ_HQ file to assign the BUTTON_PATTERN_RMX function to one of the F1-4 buttons on my wilba panel. I can't seem to access this function with any of the F1-4 buttons. I am able to access other functions just fine with all of these buttons. That suggests it is not a hardware issue. Perhaps I'm not understanding the remix feature. I'm pushing the button assigned to the remix function after the seq4 starts. Any thoughts???

#                    SR  Pin

BUTTON_BOOKMARK      19   3

BUTTON_PAR_LAYER_SEL 18   2

BUTTON_TRG_LAYER_SEL 18   3

BUTTON_PATTERN_RMX   17   2

Ok, I tested it at my side again, but haven't noticed an issue.

It's very important that you are removing (or disabling via #) the default "BUTTON_PATTERN_RMX 0 0" entry, otherwise the assignment will be disabled.

Background: for each function only a single assignment can be done. The last one will be taken over, previous definitions will be overwritten!

There is an update for MBHP_ETH on STM32 (module sporadically missed incoming packets)

MIDIboxSEQ V4.061
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o STM32: MBHP_ETH module working properly again
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Small idea, not really important, but might be nice for melodic people :-).

The euclidean pattern generator works very nicely to create interesting beat patterns...

It would be great, if there would be a new record option, that is neither "live", nor "step + x", but "pretriggered step", meaning it will record the next note on the next already gated/lit step, keeping the previous step length intact ("overdubbing the notes of an existing track")...

This way, you could enter a melody (with no particular beat in mind) and let the sequencer populate the steps that were previously chosen to be gated...

I often use "step + 2" or "step +4" to enter a "noodle", but this results in very uninteresting rhythms...

Instead of using the euclidean pattern generator for gate pre-selection, one could also pre-record the rhythm in "live" record mode, e.g by just hitting the c-3 key with the correct beat in mind and later record the melody on top using this new recording mode. Or one could "re-write" a melody track that already has the correct rhythm.

The idea stems from my inability to simultaneously play somewhat interesting notes and keep the desired rhythm pattern :-)

Many greets and thanks for evaluating this!

TK., if you like the idea, i´d like to give it a try, haz been far too long since I´ve seen the SEQ sources :-)

Bye, Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

I think this is a great idea Hawkeye!

Something I would like to see:

A real time erase feature similar to an MPC or other traditional sequencer. Basically the ability to hold down a button and then also hold down the keys that you want to erase and they get erase as the sequence plays through.

Thanks,

Luke