MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

TK.

Has the possibility of routing a track output to another tracks input ever come up? Is that at all possible?

I need some time to think about a possible solution. It won't be straightforward, but I added your request to the Wishlist

It's probably more important (and useful) to enhance the IMPORT function.

@Dave: I know what you mean, but can only recommend the way you are already working: record the whole session.

Like Luke was writing, it's more comfortable to search and cut out phrases with a DAW

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks TK, either way works for me. Using a daw is great and you can get very detailed but adding this feature for me makes the mbseq and a synth like the virus or some other poly an almost complete solution. Thanks again for such an amazing instrument.

Luke

Awesome tutorials! Thanks!

What might also be a possible topic for a future performance-oriented tutorial would be the mute screen with synced mutes/unmutes in conjunction with the loop function, which allows for unparalleled 16 track jamming :-).

Many greets,

Peter

A new release is available:

MIDIboxSEQ V4.076
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o the MIDI router forwards SysEx messages regardless if channels are filtered,
     or "All" is used. It's ensured that messages are only sent once if multiple
     router nodes forward to the same destination port.

o added optional "SAVE" and "SAVE_ALL" button function to the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file

o it's now possible to change the mixer map name.
     In the mixer page, press SELECT + GP16 button to enter the name editor.

o LFO page: the current CC can be sent manually by pressing the GP14 button.

o Multi-Arp events are working like intended (again)

And three new tutorials which describe, how to create typical "Berlin School" sequences, and how to use the Arpeggiator :smile:

-> http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_manual_tut.html

(Tutorial #6 needs V4.076, otherwise the Multi-Arp events are not played correctly)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

New tuts, awesome!

Thanks! And it was a lot of fun to create them! :)

The missing descriptions for the Multi-Arp configurations will be available this evening.

Link now referes to the following file...... not the one it should I guess :aww:

midibox_seq_v4l_075.zip

very strange! This seems to be related to a auto-correction function on the server.

I uploaded a new version with postfix b

It's now also possible to access the release (and especially the backup) directory directly:

-> http://www.ucapps.de/mios32

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Would it be possible to have each individual drum within a drum track mute when using the "utility mute" function? I use it when first powering up, and would like to not have to mute each individual drum within drum tracks. The main reason is that all of my tactile switches are slowly failing... I'm putting off changing them all out because I know it is going to be a royal pain in the butt...

Nice tutorials, BTW!!!

Alex

Would it be possible to have each individual drum within a drum track mute when using the "utility mute" function? I use it when first powering up, and would like to not have to mute each individual drum within drum tracks.

I think that the ALL button should get a better purpose in the Mute page.

E.g. if ALL is pushed, all tracks will be muted

And by pressing&holding MUTE (track mutes will be visible), the ALL button will set these mutes instead of the track mutes.

The main reason is that all of my tactile switches are slowly failing...

I can confirm that I've a similar issue! :-(

Does anybody know, if there are better switches available, which are compatible to this one: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/TL1100F160Q/EG1821-ND/59082

Yes, I lost the drum mute as well. I had been fiddling with my setup and thought I s€%ed sth up. Is it something in the 4.076?

Hm... this seems to be a different issue?

Mutes are usually not stored.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

To clarify: if i have a track formated for notes and press&hold mute, the seq displays Note Vel Len Roll and allows me to mute these items. When I release mute button, it shows 1 ...  16 and allows to mute tracks. This is normal.

However, when i have a track formatted for drums, I used to get the option to mute BD, SD, OH, PH, CH etc individually when pressing&holding mute.  Now it goes directly to track mute 1..16 even when mute is pressed and held.  I tried different tracks

I deleted the prebuilt v4.075, so i cannot test the version differences anymore.

Is this issue replicable or only in my setup here?

This is really strange (especially because I haven't changed something on the mute function).

I can't reproduce this with my existing sessions (ok, I only picked up 2 different sessions, one where drums are at G1T1, another one where they are at G3T2)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thank you TK& Luke for double checking. I found the error: it was in my thinking and not reading the manual thoroughly enough.

Use this button to speed up the encoder and datawheel increments/decrements.
Note that on a parameter layer change, the FAST function will be activated or deactivated automatically depending on the value range 
which is edited by the rotary encoders.. This useful feature can be deactivated in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file.

Apologies for polluting the forum with silly stuff...

Edited by EsotericLabs

Some new nice features for the cold & rainy weekend (at least in germany ;-))

MIDIboxSEQ V4.077
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o it's now possible to send parameter changes, done from the user interface,
     to a specified MIDI output port. This allows to record such changes with a DAW.
     The output port has to be selected in the MIDI->Ext.Ctrl page, where also the
     input port and channel is specified.

o a very useful "quick save" function has been added which significantly improves
     the song phrases handling.

The new function will store the current mixer and pattern setup into predefined
     bank positions:
       - Phrase A will use Mixer Map #1 and Patterns 1:A1 2:A1 3:A1 4:A1
       - Phrase B will use Mixer Map #2 and Patterns 1:A2 2:A2 3:A2 4:A2
       - Phrase C will use Mixer Map #3 and Patterns 1:A3 2:A3 3:A3 4:A3
       - Phrase P will use Mixer Map #16 and Patterns 1:B8 2:B8 3:B8 4:B8

After the store operation, following references will be copied into the phrase
     slot of the song:
       - 1st phrase step: the current mutes
       - 2nd phrase step: selects the new mixer map
       - 3rd phrase step: selects the new pattern set
       - 4th phrase step: jumps to the 3rd phrase step (could be useful in song mode)

How to use this function:
     Start a new session, edit some tracks, start jamming.
     Whenever you've found sequences which play well together, change to the SONG page,
     press&hold the SELECT button, then select "Save&Take over Patterns" with GP button 16.
     Thereafter release the SELECT button, and select the target phrase slot with

one of the GP buttons -> this will store the current mutes/mixer map/patterns
     into the predefined bank positions and insert references into the phrase slot.

Now you can continue jamming, change tracks, change mixer values, change mutes.
     Whenever you found a new nice working sequence, go to the SONG page and store
     it into another phrase slot (or overwrite an existing slot).

The stored phrases can be restored as usual with the GP buttons in the song page.

o it's now possible to specify the initial CC value (for the CLEAR and INIT
     function) in the UTILITY->Options page

o LFO: CC layer modulation is working properly again

o Mixer Map not switched on pattern changes anymore (this is actually only
     part of the "Remix" feature).
     To get the Remix function properly working again, please open your 
     MBSEQ_GC.V4 file with the MIOS Filebrowser, search for "PatternMixerMapCoupling" 
     and set it to 1.
     If this parameter doesn't exist yet, please create it:
     PatternMixerMapCoupling 1

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently running 4.076 and having trouble installing 4.077. I'm using MIOS Studio 2.4.5 and the midi ports like usual. I can't query the seq4. I can send commands to it (ex, "system"). The message in the response window is: "Detected MIOS8 and MIOS32 response - selection not supported yet!"

I've never had trouble updating this box. Any thoughts?

It looks like a SW based feedback loop, therefore my first guess is, that this could be related to the SysEx router enhancement.

Since v4.076 SysEx data will also be forwarded if the router only forwards a selected channel, previously SysEx was only forwarded with "All" channels.

To doublecheck that this assumption is true: are you trying to upload via MIDI1 instead of USB1?

And does it help if you temporary change the MIDI Router configuration, so that no events will be forwarded to MIDI1 (or USB1)?

As a sidenote: for MIOS Studio it should be possible to detect a SW based feedback loop, to ignore this and to enter bootloader mode anyhow.

I will consider this in the next release.

Best Regards, Thorsten.