MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

TK.

I don't manage to get the arpeggiator to work. I have tried with a midi keyboard. I set the appropriate midi channel and port in the midi->transposer and arp. menu. Have tried port: all too. And I have set the mode of the track to arpeggiator. T/A split is off (tried on too) and in midi->misc->midi monitor I see incoming midi on the right port. The keyboard works fine for transposing. I must have missed some setting.

Also, how can i control arpeggiator via loopback? making a loopback track with chords sends only chords with root note unless i transpose them with the keyboard, right?

Another one, there are several bus ports, what are they for.

I don't manage to get the arpeggiator to work. I have tried with a midi keyboard. I set the appropriate midi channel and port in the midi->transposer and arp. menu. Have tried port: all too. And I have set the mode of the track to arpeggiator. T/A split is off (tried on too) and in midi->misc->midi monitor I see incoming midi on the right port. The keyboard works fine for transposing. I must have missed some setting.

Also, how can i control arpeggiator via loopback? making a loopback track with chords sends only chords with root note unless i transpose them with the keyboard, right?

Please follow this guide:

-> http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_manual_tut5.html

It should answer both questions.

If not, please let me know what is unclear, I will improve the page! :smile:

Another one, there are several bus ports, what are they for.

It's possible to route the transposers & arpeggiators to different busses in order to handle up to 4 independent note entries (regardless if from external keyboards or loopback tracks)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a small isssue that has ever been there:

Bank Changes with the Mixer Map:

Now the Mixer map by default only provides a dedicated program change parameter.

Workaround to also dump a bank chage (CC#32) is to use one of the CC-Slots and assign it accordingly.

While for sound affecting CCs it perfectly makes sense to first dump the program change and then the CC, in the case of the bank change it should be the other way around to get it working.

My usual approach was to dump the mixer map twice, which works ok.

The second program change was then preceeded by the bank change from the first dump and the synth switched to the correct bank+program,

(Note: bank changes appear to have a "permanent" effect on any subsequent program changes)

But when using the Remix Page (which is still my favourite feature from recent time), it slows down the workflow because you need to go into Mixer Map separately and dump again, instead of remaining on the Remix page.

As said in the beginning, a small issue, but maybe theres a clever way to overcome this.

Edited by stuartm

In v4.084 in drum mode, encoders for VelN VelA no longer function. Please let me know if there is any other info I can provide. 

thanks,

Luke

Hmm this only seems to occur on existing tracks. If i switch types and init it works. Also affects my preset tracks.

Luke

Edited by lukas412

@stuartm: 

While for sound affecting CCs it perfectly makes sense to first dump the program change and then the CC, in the case of the bank change it should be the other way around to get it working.

V4.084 got a new function which helps to overcome this issue. In the UTIL->Options page you can define the order at which particular CC layers are sent (before or after program change).

@Luke:

Hmm this only seems to occur on existing tracks. If i switch types and init it works. Also affects my preset tracks.

I haven't changed the format in the last years... this seems to be an unintended change.

Could you please send me one of your preset tracks so that I can compare?

And do you remember with which version you created the problematic tracks?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi TK,

Thanks for the Bank change before PC implementation, it was my wish also for a while :smile: When I started to use it, I ran into an other problem with sysex file sending. (My approach is sending sysex banks for my sound module, and select with bank change + program change)

When I try to send a syx file it only sends the first two sysex messages. As a check I sended the file via MIOS Studio and it works without problem. I didn't use the syx file sending for a while, so I don't know if this issue was there in the earlier releases.

Attached one sample file.QS_VINT3.zip

Hi TK,

I found the answer, so its not a problem for me anymore. I'm using Midi port 4 as a HW loopback (a small jumper does the job on the LPC core). In that way I can send the seq output to multiple ports via midi routing. The sysex file sending doesn't work well in this way, but I can select the direct output port on the sysex menu page which is more than enough for me. Thanks, and do not bother with my last question.

Here's a small isssue that has ever been there:

Bank Changes with the Mixer Map:

Now the Mixer map by default only provides a dedicated program change parameter.

Workaround to also dump a bank chage (CC#32) is to use one of the CC-Slots and assign it accordingly.

My usual approach was to dump the mixer map twice, which works ok.

The second program change was then preceeded by the bank change from the first dump and the synth switched to the correct bank+program,

(Note: bank changes appear to have a "permanent" effect on any subsequent program changes)

But when using the Remix Page (which is still my favourite feature from recent time), it slows down the workflow because you need to go into Mixer Map separately and dump again, instead of remaining on the Remix page.

As said in the beginning, a small issue, but maybe theres a clever way to overcome this.

Hi stuartm,

I think the best way is to implement a new mixer parameter "bank change" to get everything work without overcomes...

It will be a good enhancement to SeqV4 in my opnion!

I know your pain to had to deal with bank changes... i have code a support for Sysex parameter inside Mixer page to overcome all the problem with program changes and bank changes. So in that way i could manage in a painless way the external gear presets and also have every detail of my work backuped inside my midibox session(if a lost the preset of that pattern inside my external gear... or even lost my gear, i could just buy another one and midibox dumps my work on the fly).

I dump the external gear Sysex of each track to midibox that manages everything when i change patterns or remix track patterns inside Pattern Remix page.

Best Regards,

Midilab

When I try to send a syx file it only sends the first two sysex messages. As a check I sended the file via MIOS Studio and it works without problem.

Your .syx file works w/o data loss at my side, regardless if send via USB or traditional MIDI.

However, I remembered that I wanted to add an optional delay function, because I know that some synths (including MBSID and MBFM) need a delay between the SysEx messages in order to store the received payload before the next message is received.

This function is now available in V4.085 - and a little bit more ;-)

From the ChangeLog:

MIDIboxSEQ V4.085
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o it's now possible to customize the MENU short cut page in MBSEQ_HW.V4
     with the new MENU_SHORTCUT parameter.
     See the templates under hwcfg/*/MBSEQ_HW.V4 for further informations.

o the bookmark configuration files (MBSEQ_BM.V4) are using the same
     page names like MENU_SHORTCUT instead of numbers.
     The old number scheme will be automatically converted to the new names.

o improved keypad (SMS-like) entry of names

o SysEx device page allows to specify a delay between SysEx messages which is
     used when a .syx file contains multiple dumps

o each SysEx device page has now a dedicated port/delay configuration which
     is stored/restored from the /SYSEX/<device>/DEVCFG.V4 file

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I am still amazed by the continiuos evolution of the SEQ V4 firmware!

Here is a suggestion from my side to make drum track configuration easier:

(I nevere find the right note number for the right drum instrument.... on the first try)

So why not holding down the GP12 Button (NOTE) in track configuration page and then press the propper keye on an external keyboard ->

that note will be set for the currently selected drum instrument?

Best Regards

Gridracer

I like this idea of a MIDI learn function - added to the Wishlist :smile:

In addition following ideas come into my mind:

- when you move the GP12 encoder, the note will be played shortly (this will be an optional feature, because some people won't like this)

- if the parameter layer of a note or CC type track plays a CC line, GP12 button allows to set the CC from an external keyboard/controller

- in EDIT page, select a step with the GP button and the incoming notes, CCs, Pitchbend, etc. will be recorded into this step. Will also allow polyphonic recording like known from the RECORD page and MBSEQ V4L - again this will only be an optional feature, because the external keyboard might be used for playing the instrument of the same track live.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

In v4.084 in drum mode, encoders for VelN VelA no longer function. Please let me know if there is any other info I can provide. 

thanks,

Luke

Took a closer look at this today. Seems that some drum track types do not work. The only two that work for me are:

64/2*64

128/2*128

In the other track types the VelN and VelA do not change the value.

thanks,

Luke

Took a closer look at this today. Seems that some drum track types do not work. The only two that work for me are:

64/2*64

128/2*128

In the other track types the VelN and VelA do not change the value.

thanks,

Luke

Now I am seeing that in the tracks where i could change the value Vel was not a parameter layer. As soon as i change the layer to Vel the encoders stop responding. 

This is not related to a bug, it's a configuration issue.

In order to use VelN and VelA, you need a second trigger layer which controls the accent.

So, "T" must be 2*64 or 2*128, there are only two configurations for this.

In addition, you've to ensure that the parameter layer doesn't control the Velocity (set LayA to Roll or something else - on a freshly initialized track it's Roll)

I think that I should hide VelN and VelA (and print a warning instead) whenever these parameters have no effect.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

This is not related to a bug, it's a configuration issue.

In order to use VelN and VelA, you need a second trigger layer which controls the accent.

So, "T" must be 2*64 or 2*128, there are only two configurations for this.

In addition, you've to ensure that the parameter layer doesn't control the Velocity (set LayA to Roll or something else - on a freshly initialized track it's Roll)

I think that I should hide VelN and VelA (and print a warning instead) whenever these parameters have no effect.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ah ok I see. Would it be possible to just have these set the velocity as well? If not I think hiding it would reduce some confusion.

thanks,

Luke

Ok, I added some messages, please try this version:
-> http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midibox_seq_v4_086_pre1.zip

• VelN and VelA will be displayed if the drum track has no velocity layer, but an accent layer
  • VelA (but not VelN) will be displayed if the drum track has a velocity layer and an accent layer
  • Neither VelA nor VelN will be displayed if the drum track has no accent layer

If you try to modify a hidden value, a message will inform you about the reason.
(please check if they are always correctly displayed)

@Gridracer: I also added the "MIDI Learn" function.

Press GP12 button in the EVENT page on a drum track. Incoming Notes should modify the drum note

The appr. port and MIDI channel has to be configured in the RECORD page (I think it makes sense to use the same configuration for this purpose)

I've implemented the MIDI Learn capability in a way that it will be very easy to add similar functions to other pages in future - your input is welcomed! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Here another version which supports step recording in the EDIT page! :-)

-> http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midibox_seq_v4_086_pre2.zip

Press&hold a GP button and play some notes or CC from an external MIDI keyboard into the step.

Best experience with tracks which are configured for at least 8 parameter layers, and which have some layers assigned to Notes (to enter chords) and some other layers for CCs

The CC number will be auto-learnt.

The MIDI Record port and channel has to be configured in the UTIL->Record page

I had a lot of fun with this new function today and I'm interested on your feedback for improvements.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I just flashed the last firmware this afternoon...  haha.

This is great!  Thanks again for all the work you put into this device.

Step recording is working great for me.  A tip for other people who might be having trouble getting ccs to work - you have to leave the CC number unset on the event page in order for it to be learned/recorded.

Does the ALL button work with this step recording thing?  ie: use step select to select a set of steps, activate ALL button, hold a selected step to record the same values into all selected steps.  (edit: just checked.  It doesn't work.) ...or, maybe a better implementation would be: while the first step button is held, you could press other step buttons to toggle recording on those steps as well - like step select for the ALL button, but maybe more intuitive for step recording, since you're holding the first step button anyway.  Also, while the ALL button is active, pressing step buttons selects/deselects the step, so pressing and holding for step recording while ALL is active would conflict with that functionality.

Maybe Layer View should be automatically activated while the step is held for recording - that would allow you to see the changes you're making as you're recording them into the step.  Then when the step button is released, the SEQ could switch back to the previous view.

################################

Here's an idea to extend this:  It's really great to be able to quickly set CC values with a midi controller potentiometer.  It's so quick and easy to get the value to where you want it - much faster than an encoder.  It would be great if you could set all the parameter layers this way.  If the SEQ provided external CC controller numbers that were assigned to "adjust parameter layer 1", "...2", "...3" ...16 for the currently held step, then you could use an external midi controller to easily adjust all parameter layers for the currently held step without having to wade through the menus.

For example, you could set up a Korg nanokontrol (has 8 faders and 8 potentiometer knobs) so that each fader and knob controlled one parameter layer - so one fader would control velocity, one length, probability, etc...  Depending on how you initialized your track.  Hold a step, move some faders/knobs on the nanokontrol to quickly adjust parameter layers.

Some users might not want external faders/knobs to be able to change values in note or chord parameter layers, so maybe an option could be provided to enable/disable external control of chord and note layers via CC

...and to extend the idea even further:  The SEQ could also provide external control CCs for the trigger layers, so the trigger layers could also be quickly enabled and disabled from an external controller when a step button is held.

You could even activate the LED indicators on the nanokontrol or other midi controllers with LED button indicators by sending MIDI values >0 (anything >= 1 works on most, 127 is required on some controllers, some controllers with multicolor leds require specific values to light certain colors - sending a 1 would be a good default for the "on" state) out from the SEQ on the CC #s for the trigger layers that are active, and sending 0's out to the CCs that are inactive.  This would light the LEDs on a lot of commercial controllers without any further programming on the SEQ.  So the LEDs would toggle on and off to indicate the state of the corresponding trigger layer.

For the nanokontrol2, you have to use the korg software to set the LED control to external.  Then, sending a 0 on the right channel to the MIDI CC assigned to a button will turn the LED on that button off, sending a 1 will turn it on.

With USB Host working on the STM32f4 core and this feature implemented, a nanokontrol would be a really cheap way to extend the functionality of the SEQ - I can imagine a lot of other uses for a nanokontrol in other modes on the SEQ as well.  Lots of buttons and faders on a nanokontrol for ~$60.

Here's the Nanokontrol's midi implementation/ parameter guide - http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/nanoKONTROL2_PG_E1_634479709631760000.pdf

This could also work on a keyboard with CC-assignable knobs and faders, or any other MIDI controller with assignable controls, of course.

################

Edit:  and a more general unrelated suggestion, but something that comes to mind because I've been switching views a lot to check this new feature out.:  Currently, to select an edit view you have to activate edit by pressing the edit button, then press select to show the view menu, then select a view with the GP buttons.  It might be more intuitive to show the view menu whenever the edit button is pressed and held - so, to select a view: press+hold edit button, then select a view with the GP buttons, then release the edit button.  This would also leave the SELECT button available in edit mode for some other function you might want to add later.

Edited by borfo

Step recording on the EDIT page is much handier than step recording on the RECORD page! I didn't like that step recording via the RECORD page stayed only a while on the EDIT page before flashing back to the RECORD page. For a non-keyboard player like me (one that has stickers on the keyboard keys to tell me which is which) it can take a while to find the right key, and by that time the screen has usually flashed back to the RECORD page, which disturbs the workflow. So definetely an improvement. BTW also the SMS-like pattern naming and changing the MENU pages works well!

I cannot comment on other changes, because new features keep cropping up faster than I can learn old ones... so the following might already have a solution, which I didn't find with searching "clear" in the menu pages section of the manual, but I noticed that even when you have several tracks of one group selected, pressing CLEAR will clear only the active track (the one that's on the screen). To me it would have made sense that it had cleared all selected tracks. But maybe there's a reason for this, or there's something I've missed..?