MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

TK.

11 hours ago, mongrol said:

What is mbseq v4+? Is it an upgraded core? Is there a specificv4+ wishlist or just the normal wishlist in the repo?

MBseqv4+ is a firmware version which will only work on the newer core (STM32F4) because the old one (LPC1769) doesn't have the resources to run it. Basically, all requests for resource-intensive features that are likely to be too much for the LPC1769 based core have just been put into the MBseq4+ basket for some time now (a year or something?). Already some features (like 'undo') have been disabled on the LPC1769 firmware because of the LPC1769 hardware limitations.

If your seq is already running on an STM32F4 core, I think you can just update the MBseqv4+ firmware on it (when it comes out).

Edited by jjonas
typo

hi everyone

i think im on the track of a bug here

so im running mb seqv4 MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 v4_091_pre8

while slowly filling new session with sequences and parameters,in one moment

SAVE ALL is saving GROUP 1 and 3 corectly,

but

GROUP 4 is saving to GROUP 4 but also into GROUP 2

but not other way around GROUP 2 into 4

While MENU + SAVE for GROUP 2 save it to GROUP 2 and 4

after saving all looks ok,but when i switch for example PATTERN from A1 to A2 and then

back to A1,then i can see it happend

i cant tell after what condition this situations starts to take place

but i have feeling its somewhere after filing up the memory

hope my description will help to trace this problem

kind regards

K

K

13 hours ago, jjonas said:

MBseqv4+ is a firmware version which will only work on the newer core (STM32F4) because the old one (LPC1769) doesn't have the resources to run it.

Aah. I didn't realise the current core's weren't fully utilised. I just kept reading here and there that there was memory limitations but thought that applied to the  STM32F4.

In that case I have a feature request. In Song mode I would like to chain individual tracks and have the option of doing away with pattern groups. I did read that pattern groups were the smallest chainable unit because of memory limitations. Even the option of reducing the number of tracks to 8 would be good if they were individual chainable units.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got a couple of suggestions for the V4 Plus firmware that I think would be nice. I appreciate that they would most likely take a lot of work to implement but I'll put the ideas out in the wild. 

Firstly it would be really good to have some on the MBCV features integrated into the sequencer such and the modulation sources like LFOs and EGs. While I know that the sequencer has LFOs I'm yet to find a way to send these to the AOUTs. 

If the above features are possible it would be good to have the max number of supported AOUT channels to 16 to be able to make use of these modulation sources in a modular system. 

Adding support for AINs and DINs would be nice. It would be great to be able to modulate parameters of the sequencer with a modular system. 

In many respects I think the MB SEQ interface would be perfectly acceptable to control a great deal of the MBCVs parameters. Of course you would lose the OLED scopes but I consider those to be nice to have but not essential. I could live without them. 

Anyway, just an idea that may not be possible. 

I know I brought this up last spring, but I am now heavily using my old synths and modular with my V4/AOUT and (for me at least) the ability to turn on/off the CV "slide" (on the CV Config page) with the "slide" trigger would be the most useful new feature I can imagine.

The "fingered portamento" + Slide Trigger (using MIDI synths) is wonderful, but my old Moog, Roland and modular want this feature too :-D

Just curious to know if it might happen someday.  It would be an logical and elegant solution to controlling glide; a dream come true.

Andrew

@Rowan: unfortunately merging MBSEQ and MBCV isn't possible - too many conflicts, too much work to solve the conflicts, and at the end it would also influence the performance of both apps (running in parallel)

@Andrew: I just hacked this into the firmware without testing.

Could you please try this version?

-> http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midibox_seq_v4_091_pre9.zip

SusKey is always enabled, currently it can only be disabled by editing the MBSEQ_GC.V4 file in the root directory

Best Regards, Thorsten.

hi midi maniacs

i have proposition for seq 4

to add PITCH  to LFO  destinations

and

to add extra features to SELECT TRACK

maybe together with ALL button,something like MUTE + ALL

it could contain:all,grp1,grp2,grp3,grp4 and so on

kind regards

k

On 7/17/2016 at 6:59 AM, TK. said:

@Andrew: I just hacked this into the firmware without testing.

Could you please try this version?

-> http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midibox_seq_v4_091_pre9.zip

SusKey is always enabled, currently it can only be disabled by editing the MBSEQ_GC.V4 file in the root directory

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Wow that was fast, and my initial testing (with Moog Prodigy) has it working perfectly :-D

I will do some further experimentation over the next few days.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY, JOY JOY JOY !!!

Andrew

Another mbseqv4+ wish :-)

1) Enable the option to create a file (on disk) to map "real synthesizer names" to combinations of out-port and channel.

2) In the track events page, offer the option to additionally select by synthesizer name (an abbreviation of 6-8 characters would be enough). When selecting a synthesizer name (or when loading a session), it could then select the according out-port and channel (and display it).

This would help tremendously, if people remap synthesizers to other out ports, if setups grow, etc. I currently have a printed out lookup-table glued next to the synths, so i can find on which wire/channel a synth is :-).

I am aware, that this feature would require a change to the data structures of the session/track, so for now, I just hope it is accepted on the wishlist for v4+, at least another user reported a similar problem ;-)

Thanks a lot!

Many greets,
Peter

• 2 weeks later...

V4.091 is now available under http://www.ucapps.de/mios32_download.html

From the ChangeLog:

MIDIboxSEQ V4.091
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o new parameter type "Chord2" provides an alternative set of 32 chords

o new parameter type "Aftertouch" allows to send and record channel pressure events

o CPU load display has been re-adjusted for LPC17 and STM32F4

o hwcfg/wilba*/MBSEQ_HW.V4: default F1-F4 assignments changed to:
     F1: Track Select, F2: Live Forwarding, F3: Recording, F4: Save All

o MBSEQ_HW.V4: added new button/LED functions: FX, MOVE, SCROLL

o MBSEQ_HW.V4: added new LED_MEASURE function which will activate a LED
     when the first step of the measure is played.

o CC Parameter layer label now prints "#<number>" instead of "CC"

o Jam page: AStart now starts to record into first step in 
     live recording mode (as intended), it starts on the selected step
     in step recording mode

o Purpose of Record and Live Button & LED change:
     they switch between record (and live) mode w/o changing to the Jam page

o new button/LED combo: JAM_LIVE and JAM_STEP: they switch to the JAM
     page and select Live resp. Step recording mode

o BLM16x16+X keyboard can now record into any track

o Transpose page now allows selection based on Scale

o New option page item #10 "Initial Gate Trigger Layer" 
     (empty or trigger on each 4th step)

o Event configuration page: new drum track configuration 2*64/2*128

o AOUT: added suskey function (AKA fingered portamento: slew rate only
     enabled if more than 2 keys are played)
     This function can be enabled in the CV Configuration page

o removed obsolete (non-working) pattern based scale control

o fixed LED behaviour in Step View page (corrected display if page is deselected)

o various minor bugfixes & improvements

Best Regards, Thorsten.

On 31/07/2016 at 7:27 PM, TK. said:

V4.091 is now available under http://www.ucapps.de/mios32_download.html

From the ChangeLog:

MIDIboxSEQ V4.091
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o new parameter type "Chord2" provides an alternative set of 32 chords

o new parameter type "Aftertouch" allows to send and record channel pressure events

o CPU load display has been re-adjusted for LPC17 and STM32F4

o hwcfg/wilba*/MBSEQ_HW.V4: default F1-F4 assignments changed to:
     F1: Track Select, F2: Live Forwarding, F3: Recording, F4: Save All

o MBSEQ_HW.V4: added new button/LED functions: FX, MOVE, SCROLL

o MBSEQ_HW.V4: added new LED_MEASURE function which will activate a LED
     when the first step of the measure is played.

o CC Parameter layer label now prints "#<number>" instead of "CC"

o Jam page: AStart now starts to record into first step in 
     live recording mode (as intended), it starts on the selected step
     in step recording mode

o Purpose of Record and Live Button & LED change:
     they switch between record (and live) mode w/o changing to the Jam page

o new button/LED combo: JAM_LIVE and JAM_STEP: they switch to the JAM
     page and select Live resp. Step recording mode

o BLM16x16+X keyboard can now record into any track

o Transpose page now allows selection based on Scale

o New option page item #10 "Initial Gate Trigger Layer" 
     (empty or trigger on each 4th step)

o Event configuration page: new drum track configuration 2*64/2*128

o AOUT: added suskey function (AKA fingered portamento: slew rate only
     enabled if more than 2 keys are played)
     This function can be enabled in the CV Configuration page

o removed obsolete (non-working) pattern based scale control

o fixed LED behaviour in Step View page (corrected display if page is deselected)

o various minor bugfixes & improvements

Best Regards, Thorsten.

After v4.091 I believe the shift button LEDs on the BLM 16*16+X no longer illuminate. I think this was the case on Saturday, but I can't test today due to my SD card being lost in Munich =). At least with the BLM in test mode the lights work without issue.

Hm.  Are you talking about the column above the shift button ?  Seem to work fine here

Unrelated:

I am working on getting more inputs (namely a keyboard and drum pads) set up and I can seem to figure out how to get them to work correctly.  The BLM keyboard mode works fine and the monitor shows activity on the input channels and I have the forwarders turned on for each track.  I am sure I am missing something obvious, can anyone shed some light?

26 minutes ago, Altitude said:

Hm.  Are you talking about the column above the shift button ?  Seem to work fine here

Is your shift button pulsing each quarter note when the sequence is running/ illuminated when held down to change modes etc.? I'm using an F1 Core, so it could be related to that.

26 minutes ago, Altitude said:

I am working on getting more inputs (namely a keyboard and drum pads) set up and I can seem to figure out how to get them to work correctly.  The BLM keyboard mode works fine and the monitor shows activity on the input channels and I have the forwarders turned on for each track.  I am sure I am missing something obvious, can anyone shed some light?

Did you configure the routing from the MIDI menu? You have 16 nodes to play with. What do you want to send where?

> Is your shift button pulsing each quarter note when the sequence is running/ illuminated when held down to change modes etc.? I'm using an F1 Core, so it could be related to that

Nope, not pulsing.

> Did you configure the routing from the MIDI menu? You have 16 nodes to play with. What do you want to send where?

I figured out what I was doing wrong, on the Jam page, you need to set the channel for the forwarder to work.  

I guess the next question is can those routing be fixed so midi input 1 can be routed to G1T1 (or whatever)

Edited by Altitude

• 4 weeks later...

edit: something weird is going on with selecting ALL on the note layer in the latest release. i have to enable ALL mode 4 times to get it to work correctly. it seems to get stuck on 'ramp' mode.

edit2: nope again. the change in 4.074 explains it. data wheel was set to select step. my bad.

Edited by v4

• 4 weeks later...

I'd have a feature suggestion involving the LFO (to me one of the most useful features!):

-independent bipolar LFO amount to all the destinations

-a Trigger layer that can be configured as a Sample&Hold for the LFO values. When you program that trigger, the LFO value at that moment is being sent out. Alternatively, the different waveforms could just get the option "triggered" (like "SINEtrg") so the value is only sent when there is a note / trigger event. 

On 26. September 2016 at 0:41 PM, u-link said:

Alternatively, the different waveforms could just get the option "triggered" (like "SINEtrg") so the value is only sent when there is a note / trigger event. 

Or the PPQN setting could get "triggered" and rhythmical value choices - imagine having an cyclical modulation with S&H that you can set to different subdivisions, that would be dope.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a way to move all notes in a track forward or backward one step?

Some sequencers have a "shift" or "rotate" function that move 1>2, 2>3, 3>4, etc.

Or a way to insert a blank step 1, which would move all existing steps back...?

Hopefully there's something like this already and I've just missed it :-)

Drew

13 hours ago, oozitron said:

Is there a way to move all notes in a track forward or backward one step?

Some sequencers have a "shift" or "rotate" function that move 1>2, 2>3, 3>4, etc.

On MBSEQv4 this function is called 'scroll', which is found in the UTILITY menu. From the Beginner's Guide (section 4.2.2.):

"Scroll allows you to move sections of steps with the knobs. When you press & hold 'Scroll', the screen switches to the EDIT page, and you can use a GP knob to grab a section of steps, so that the steps to the right of the knob (including the one above the knob) will be moved together, while the ones to the left will stay where they are. Releasing the GP button writes the moved steps into the new location, overwriting whatever was there previously. "