MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

TK.

18 hours ago, u-link said:

I get your point, Peter, but I meant to suggest to have this as an option. As in Utility->Opt. I think it would be a very useful feature. If it were there, it might even convince you to replace your unreliable tact switches. And of course, if the new design with the Matias switches becomes available, it won't be an issue anymore.

No worries, it was not meant as a critique, and i like the ideas! :-) Yes, configuration via "Options" would be great!

Personally, i will have to rebuild my primary SEQ CS (all built on verboard, handwired back in 2010/11) because of the failing switches soon, the Matias switches look awesome, but that belongs elsewhere.

Have a great day!
Peter

On 28.6.2017 at 0:53 PM, Hawkeye said:

No worries, it was not meant as a critique, and i like the ideas! :-) Yes, configuration via "Options" would be great!

Personally, i will have to rebuild my primary SEQ CS (all built on verboard, handwired back in 2010/11) because of the failing switches soon, the Matias switches look awesome, but that belongs elsewhere.

Have a great day!
Peter

No offence taken.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a question regarding a feature, if its there or not and if not it might be something to implement.

There is a sequencer by Monolake called px-18 (available as a max4live instrument) that has this function where you can assign a step to be played only at certain loop numbers and also tell a note to be delay the first time it will be triggered, also based on which number of loop it is.

ex:

8 steps:

[bar] <1> <1> <2> <1> <1> <2> <4> <3> 

[shift] <0> <0> <0> <1> <0> <0> <2> <0>

so in this sequence all 1's will trigger every loop, the 3rd and the 6th note will be played every 2nd loop, the 7th every 4th loop and the 8th every 3rd loop.

this makes short sequences quite versatile and more interesting/evolving.

also the shift works in a similar way only it delays the first time the note will trigger based on which round of loop it is.

0's start to trigger the first loop, the 4th note will trigger the second loop round and the 7th note will trigger after 2 loops.

tbh i love this functionality and would be delighted if its avail in midibox seq.

Edited by modus0perandi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
 I am a new owner of the Seq4
  I <3 Midibox

Would be so coool if:

- The arpeggiator would not be limited to 4 notes only.
 I want to play whole lines with the arp. I'd like to play a whole scale. At least with the  *+- steps in the arp.

- BUG: in the arpeggiator, while playing a *+- step and I delete that step, a note is stuck and will never stop.

- The option to play the notes in the order I play them (and not in reversed order, as it does now with sort=off)

- The arpeggiator could optionally restart asynchronous, i.e. retrigger immediately, when hitting the notes on the keyboard, not waiting for the next step in the beat.

- There would be more performance tricks as in the BPM menue with the "fire preset function" like:
  Selecting loops by holding a start and stop-step button (as already thought for BLM)
  Being able to shift notes without hearing the scrolling (holding a button while scrolling, leaving the button and you hear it) & the same for other edits

- Being able to set the probability to other than 50/50.
  & maybe being able to "connect" steps in their probability (chance of a whole line)

- Import / export of patterns from and to Midi-files (is this only possible for songs? Is there a workaround?)

- Echo FX: Maybe being able to send echoes to other ports & channels. For echoes of monosynths & as an additional tool for creating complex structures.

As I am new, maybe I get the usage of the sequencer wrong in some points,
but anyway I think some ideas are important.
Such a nice instrument, thanks!

Edited by lacuna

6 hours ago, lacuna said:

- The arpeggiator would not be limited to 4 notes only. 
 I want to play whole lines with the arp. I'd like to play a whole scale. At least with the  *+- steps in the arp

Unfortunately can't be changed due to conceptional reasons

- BUG: in the arpeggiator, while playing a *+- step and I delete that step, a note is stuck and will never stop.

will check this

- The option to play the notes in the order I play them (and not in reversed order, as it does now with sort=off)

Ensure that you are using the latest version. Then set Note to "First" in the Track Mode page

- The arpeggiator could optionally restart asynchronous, i.e. retrigger immediately, when hitting the notes on the keyboard, not waiting for the next step in the beat.

not possible due to conceptional reasons.

- There would be more performance tricks as in the BPM menue with the "fire preset function" like:
  Selecting loops by holding a start and stop-step button (as already thought for BLM)
  Being able to shift notes without hearing the scrolling (holding a button while scrolling, leaving the button and you hear it) & the same for other edits

added to the wish list

- Being able to set the probability to other than 50/50.
  & maybe being able to "connect" steps in their probability (chance of a whole line)

you can assign one track layer to probability and then adjust it for each step (or change the value for all steps at once by pressing the ALL button)

- Import / export of patterns from and to Midi-files (is this only possible for songs? Is there a workaround?)

In the MIDI file import/export page you can also select dedicated tracks

- Echo FX: Maybe being able to send echoes to other ports & channels. For echoes of monosynths & as an additional tool for creating complex structures.

You can use the Duplicate Fx for this purpose

Best Regards, Thorsten.

7 hours ago, TK. said:

will check this

oh, I am sorry, I was wrong, my mistake! :blush:
the bug is there:

in arp
for example:

length = 5 steps
on the 5th step *+1
play with keyboard
while arp is playing 5th step
change length to 4

now note is stuck, repeating, not arpeggiating any more, no way to stop this, only by pressing stop

• 1 month later...

My BiGGeST WiSh iS

Notch

- This means individual track delay, - positive and negative.

For two things this is important:

a)
Each Midi-Instrument has a different latency in receiving the Midi-Messages.
The notch could compensate this for each track individually.
Or, even better, for each Port/Channel individually.
Maybe absolute, in nano- or micro seconds? Independend of the BPM.

Then several synths, drums or samplers could play in unision & absolutely tight n'sync.

b)
Micro-timing-shifting in minimal music, techno, EDM ect.

This is marvellous.

A relative to the BPM notch would be cool for this.

a) is more important than b) for me,
but both are super-duper essential.

Powerfull options, & easy to implement?

For now there is the groove-menu, but shifting is quite a hassle:
the all button doesn't work here and it would be better if we could use grooves as shuffle + notch easily together.

This is an essential option in timing precise sequencers.

Edited by lacuna

On 8/6/2017 at 4:06 PM, FlavioB said:

Hi ppl.
I'd love to be able to set "first/last step" on a pattern - can this feature be added somewhen?

Thanks,
F.

You can do this in the 'loop' menu in FX. It can be applied to just the selected track or to all tracks in a pattern. I use it quite regularly and have the loop toggle as a hot key on my panel - lots of fun!

1 hour ago, lacuna said:

My BiGGeST WiSh iS

Notch

Have you tried this:

V4.089

• Groove page: by default, groove configuration changes are applied on all tracks now. It's possible to select a "local groove" by pressing GP7 button in the groove page.
  • BPM page: it's now possible to configure an output delay for each MIDI port. (positive and negative delays are supported - this is currently an experimental feature!)

12 hours ago, lacuna said:

My BiGGeST WiSh iS

Notch

What latigid on said, and as to delay per channel, it's on the wishlist. "allow to define delays based on ports & channels instead of only the port". (The wishlist is at the bottom of the changelog file that comes with the firmware zip.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a BLM 16x4 connected to my SEQ V4.

Would it be possible that on Drum tracks each drum instrument had its own track showing and that it was possible to jump to the next 4+4+4 instruments with the up&down buttons for example. I think this would be great for editing the drums.

If I understand it correctly, this is possible with the BLM 16x16+X ?

Cheers, Hal

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.9.2017 at 3:51 PM, eptheca said:

I have a BLM 16x4 connected to my SEQ V4.

Would it be possible that on Drum tracks each drum instrument had its own track showing and that it was possible to jump to the next 4+4+4 instruments with the up&down buttons for example. I think this would be great for editing the drums.

It's very difficult for me to check this (because I haven't used the BLM16x4 since more than 7 years), but I assume that the appr. tracks should be visible when you select a trigger layer within this quarter?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

V4.093 has been released

From the ChangeLog:

MIDIboxSEQ V4.093
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o new parameter type "Chord3" provides an alternative set of 108 chords.
     Thanks to EsotericLabs for providing the chord table!

o notes in edit screen are displayed transposed now

o drum tracks: random probability layer now working as intended

o layers are now initialized for 6 notes polyphony by default (8 layers, 128 steps)

o optionally pattern changes don't re-send the PC/bank settings.
     This option can be configured in the UTILITY->Options menu (item #4/18)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Just now, lobit said:

Is there a way to double a sequence length?  (16-32,  32-64)   if not I would say that would be a pretty cool feature   

easy: just press COPY+PASTE at the same time, this will duplicate the steps and adapt the length.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

hi All

would it be possible to have

COPY + PASTE in PATTERN MODE to duplicate selected and/or all tracks plus mixer map

to the next pattern position,and automaticaly jump to that pattern position,example

g1:a1 g2:a1 g3:a1 g4:a1

to

g1:a2 g2:a2 g3:a2 g4:a2

this could allow for continues workflow without

exporting-changing pattern(means possibly empty so no sound for a moment)-importing

it could have also for example option on/off for letting duplication continue from A to B

this way you can in no time build a lot of patterns

best regards

Kazik

yes:cheers:

i have 3 ideas here

when i do COPY+PASTE it permanently duplicates

when i do COPY change pattern and then PASTE results will be gone after pattern change so i have to save them

i think COPY+PASTE should not do this permanently,i mean after duplication

you still need to save results,this way you can experiment and not accidentally overwrite something

but thats my idea maybe its something to discuss

COPY ,change pattern ,PASTE seems do not including mixer map ,would be great if it does

CLEAR button could clear all pattern

anyway already works flowles

thank you for your time Thorsten

kind regards

K

Edited by k2z3k0

im sory i just noticed now

that if you do for example

ALL on ,COPY,change pattern,PASTE from A1 to A2

so you are on A2

then if you change from A2 to A1 and then back to A2

it will leave on A2 tracks 1,5,9,13 permanent

in other words look like doing COPY,PASTE to another pattern(not COPY + PASTE) is permanently leaving tracks 1,5,9,13

first tracks of each group

this is happening with version 094 pre1

will test pre2 soon i finished work

i hope i made my self clear enough

thank you

kind regards

K

Edited by k2z3k0