MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

TK.

hi Everybody

did anyone brought up idea of incoming data is recorded(directed)

to the tracks that are set to same midi channels that is originaly coming from?

basicaly mutlitrack(multichannel) recording?

my idea is option that listen to one selected IN port

and accordingly to current incoming midi channel

it selects current track for recording on the mbseq with the same midi channel set

or

other way

it record(direct) data to track on mbseq with out changing selected track

best regards

Kazik

• Like 1

hi there

i suppose first option is easier

selecting current track in mbseq by checking incoming midi data

actualy now thinking about it it could be very handful not only for recording

but also just for editing ,example:

turning knob lets say for Pitch Bend,Channel 1 on my external midi controller switches current track on mbseq accordingly

and thus i do not have to do it myself every time,and when moving my attention to mbseq

current track is same as channel of last edited incoming data

bests

K

Hi Flavio

Yes this function works flowles already

To make myself clear,

Lets say i have track 1 to 8 on mbseq,and this track are on channels 1 to 8 accordingly

Now 

Lets say my master controller have 8 knobs each sends pitch bend to channels 1 to 8

Now if i want record pitchbend for each channel 1 to 8

I need to record track by track changing curent edited track, and i can use  only one knob 

So i thought could it be possible that if i can hit REC

And then having 8 knobs adressed 1 to 8 ,depending from what knob i turn 

Mbseq will record it to track that is adressed to according midi channel 

Basicaly if im in REC and send pitchbend on channel 3

I would like mbseq to record it to track adressed to channel 3

No matter which track is selected 

As for now doesnt matter what channel incoming data come from 

It will be recorded on currently selected track only

Other idea was function you can turn on/off that is checking

Incoming midi channel and it will select current track according

It could work in REC as well as on EDIT mode

Sory i went a bit long,just wanna be sure you get me

While working with REC mode i felt that could be  a huge step

towards improving live performing flow

So that plus pattern copy(thank you Thorsten)

Would open up work flow greatly in my mind

Thank you 

Let me know what you think

Bests

K

I added this request to the wish list, but note that due to the much higher memory consumption (recording structs will allocate 16 x more RAM) such a feature would only be feasible with MBSEQ V4+ running on a STM32F4. It can't be made available for STM32F1 or LPC17

Best Regards, Thorsten.

This will lead to unintended side effects which have to be avoided.

E.g. the recording (and live) function has to keep track of the played keys (and it also measures the delays between Note Off and On) - by switching to another channel, this information will get lost and the recording function won't work properly anymore.

It's the same place which has to be made ready for 16 channels... not possible for a common V4 firmware.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I tried the PATTERN page copy/paste in pre094. It seems that currently pressing COPY or PASTE copies or pastes all four patterns, instead of just the currently selected one. I'm not sure what the COPY+PASTE (pressing & holding COPY and then pressing PASTE) operation is doing. On the EDIT page the COPY+PASTE operation duplicates the content and length of the track (e.g. 16/128 to 32/128), but how does this translate into a pattern operation? One of the alternatives that would make sense is if pressing and releasing COPY or PASTE copies and pastes all patterns, and COPY+PASTE copies and pastes only the selected pattern. But when I press and hold COPY on the PATTERN page, the seq copies all patterns immediately. I would have expected that pressing and holding COPY doesn't do anything until I release the button, so that while pressing and holding COPY I can press PASTE as well if I want to activate the COPY+PASTE function. Or did I misunderstand something?

There are two intended use cases:

• all patterns (which are showed by the PATTERN page) can be copied into a buffer with the COPY button.
    Then you can select other patterns, and PASTE the buffer into these slots.
  • all patterns (which are showed by the PATTERN page) can be duplicated into the next pattern slots

This was not possible before - it was required to go into the SAVE page and to store all 4 patterns into new slots

One of the alternatives that would make sense is if pressing and releasing COPY or PASTE copies and pastes all patterns

is implemented this way

and COPY+PASTE copies and pastes only the selected pattern

with this behaviour it wouldn't be possible to paste or duplicate all patterns at once anymore, but this is one of the major use cases.

I would have expected that pressing and holding COPY doesn't do anything until I release the button

This is unusual and not required

so that while pressing and holding COPY I can press PASTE as well if I want to activate the COPY+PASTE function

This isn't required, because for both use cases the currently visible patterns have to be copied into the buffer, hence this operation can be done when the COPY button is pressed.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi, could this be implemented: In the MIDI Router, an option to have "active track" as a IN selection. So when I select track 3, the data is automatically forwarded to a defined out and channel. The reason I am asking is that I have recently gotten a Keith McMillen K-Board, a little USB-Keyboard-pad-controller with backlit keys. To use that feature, you need to send it note data on channel 1 of its USB MIDI port Would be awesome to automatically see the programmed notes! I am sure there are more controllers with similar features available, I think there's one from NI etc.

Also wanted to ask again if you are considering implementing the "Have Mixer Map on Encoders in Mute Mode" idea that I tossed in some months ago in this thread?

On 27.10.2017 at 4:10 AM, v4 said:

i've run into a few hard crashes on the latest pre2 beta while trying to 'save as' while the mb is running. can anyone reproduce this? it happens about 50% of the time it seems. midi output freezes as well as all notes hang.

@v4: which core are you using? MBHP_CORE_STM32, MBHP_CORE_LPC17 or MBHP_CORE_STM32F4?

@u-link: I added your request to the wish list. Instead of a MIDI router option, I will probably provide this as some kind of global "duplicate" option intended to satisfy your use case, so that additional special functions could be added later without taking limitations of the MIDI router into account.

The "mixer map on encoders in mute mode" is also on the wish list now (together with your other proposals) - I've to consolidate this with other ideas around mixer map usage. This could become an optional mode which can be activated by people who know how to use it (otherwise it will confuse common users too much)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

A new version is available:

MIDIboxSEQ V4.094
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o support for Antilog Frontpanel.
     The appr. HW configuration file can be found under hwcfg/antilog/MBSEQ_HW.V4

o enhanced COPY/PASTE/CLEAR functions for following pages:
     - PATTERN page: copy/paste/clears all patterns.
                     Special function: by pressing COPY+PASTE the patterns will be pasted into the next slots
     - PARSEL page: copy/paste/clears the currently selected parameter layer only
     - TRGSEL page: copy/paste/clears the currently selected trigger layer only
     - INSSEL page: copy/paste/clears the currently selected instrument only
                    (useful for drums: corresponding trigger any parameter layers are cleared)

o improved ALL button behaviour

o New worflow for PATTERN page:
     GP 1/2, 5/6, 9/10, 13/14 allow to select group as well
     especially interesting for Antilog Frontpanel: Selection buttons can be used for mutes)

o New workflow for MUTE page:
     Whenever a track or parameter layer is unmuted, it will be automatically selected

o EDIT page: improved handling for chord layers

o moved some configuration settings which were previously part of the
     MBSEQ_HW.V4 file to the Options page, so that they can be changed without
     a file editor:
     - MIDI remote key (or CC)
     - Track Selection CC
     - MIDI OUT Runtime Status Optimisation
     - MENU button assignments

o support for "Shadow Out", which will forward the MIDI events of the currently selected
     track to a specified MIDI port and channel (e.g. can be used to visualize played notes
     with an external device). Select the port/channel in the OPTIONS page.

o Metronome page removed. Please configure the metronome function in the Options page.

o Pattern banks can't be modified by default anymore, because they are typically
     assigned to group 1/2/3/4, changed bank assignments can confused users
     to much. If somebody still finds this feature useful: it can be enabled in the
     Options page

@u-link your requested MIDI routing option is called "Shadow Out" and works independent from the MIDI router

This version should also satisfy frequent requests for trigger/parameter/instrument copy/paste/clear functions

Best Regards, Thorsten.

On 11/4/2017 at 4:13 PM, TK. said:

@v4: which core are you using? MBHP_CORE_STM32, MBHP_CORE_LPC17 or MBHP_CORE_STM32F4?

@u-link: I added your request to the wish list. Instead of a MIDI router option, I will probably provide this as some kind of global "duplicate" option intended to satisfy your use case, so that additional special functions could be added later without taking limitations of the MIDI router into account.

The "mixer map on encoders in mute mode" is also on the wish list now (together with your other proposals) - I've to consolidate this with other ideas around mixer map usage. This could become an optional mode which can be activated by people who know how to use it (otherwise it will confuse common users too much)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

apologies i was away from the studio for a week. STM32 is the core i'm using.

5 hours ago, TK. said:

your requested MIDI routing option is called "Shadow Out" and works independent from the MIDI router

Amazing, it's working! I also really dig the name. "Shadow Out" - will make a track with that name. Thorsten, you are the man.

Can anybody shed some light into the new option 15/25, "Sending Selected Track as CC to a DAW"? I quickly fiddled around with it a bit, but I don't get it to output anything. What are those sixteen CCs? The values set in each Parameter Layer? Or CC parameters to change settings of the track itself, like LFO Amount, MIDI Delay Feedback etc?