MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

TK.

Hello!

I've been playing with my V4+ the past few days and it's more than amazing, thank you so much TK for all your great work!

I've got two suggestions that came to mind while configuring everything with my synths/samplers setup:

1) I'd be nice to be able to rename CC parameter layers for specific tracks/synths/machines. So that LCDs — on the parameter layer page — could display custom labels ("LPCutoff" for example) instead of CC# values. It's quite hard to remember what each CCs do, as they're not assigned to same actions from a synth to another, so I think it could be a great improvement! Or can we already do that and I somehow missed it? I saw that southpole mentioned it, so is that in the to-do list?

2) Another idea for a new midi Fx on chords tracks: a ‘Broken chord’ effect that'd decompose all the notes from a given chord and ‘nudge’ their placement and velocity, in ascending, descending or random fashion. It would be a nice way to imitate some nice smooth broken chord actions. I attached a piano roll example if that helps.

Of course, I have no idea if those ideas are even possible to implement, they're just suggestions :)

Cheers!

Capture d’écran 2019-04-06 à 13.31.50.png

Edited by gotkovsky

Hi all,

First post here,

I used the latest release (midibox_seq_v4_096_pre5) on an LPC17 core. The beat led doesn't flash on the first step of the sequence. So I get 3 flashes in a 16 step loop.

If I set the track synchronisation to 32 steps, the beat led flashes normally on measure step 17, but doen't flash on step 1. So I get 7 flashes.

Release midibox_seq_v4_095 works without the above problems.

Edited by kasiofz

• 2 weeks later...

In the roll layer of a 32step drum track, if I change the roll parameter for step 1 I get roll on step 17 too. I don't know if this is normal, but the same happens on the other step pair too (2-18, 3-19 etc.) 

I want to ask if I can find the source code for midibox_seq_v4_095 latest release because I want to built it manualy with some modifications in the code-config file.

Also I want to compare the two sources to source the beat light problem.

Edited by kasiofz

Source code is here: https://github.com/midibox/mios32/tree/master/apps/sequencers/midibox_seq_v4

Beat Light is controlled in src/seq_ui.c: https://github.com/midibox/mios32/blob/master/apps/sequencers/midibox_seq_v4/core/seq_ui.c
(search for BEAT)

The problem is understood - it appears on frontpanels with single colour LEDs (MEASURE not assigned). 

However, a quick fix is easy: just replace

SEQ_LED_PinSet(seq_hwcfg_led.beat, (seq_hwcfg_led.measure && measure_led_on) ? 0 : beat_led_on);

by

if( seq_hwcfg_led.measure != 0xffff )
  SEQ_LED_PinSet(seq_hwcfg_led.beat, (seq_hwcfg_led.measure && measure_led_on) ? 0 : beat_led_on);
else
  SEQ_LED_PinSet(seq_hwcfg_led.beat, beat_led_on);

Untested code

Please let me know if it works, so that I will bring it into the repo

Concerning mirrored Roll parameter: that's normal if the parameter layer is only 16 steps. It's due to a memory limitation - drum tracks can only store 1024 parameters, and they are partitioned over the number of drum tracks and parameter layers

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for the answer.

Something has to be wrong with if statement, because when I replaced the code line with the if statement that you suggested nothing changed.

But, when I replaced the code line with only the else statement code the problem solved.

So, to summarise I replaced:

with

SEQ_LED_PinSet(seq_hwcfg_led.beat, beat_led_on);

And the beat led worked fine.

I thing that something is wrong with

if( seq_hwcfg_led.measure != 0xffff )

Regards, Vasilis

Edited by kasiofz

• 1 month later...

Hi Thorsten,

here is a question/potential feature request originally asked by @Menzman, but as it came up and i experimented with it a bit, i'd also find it very useful! :)

Would it be possible to "glide/slide" on a CC track? A bit like the LFO effect, but between discrete steps, e.g. if a CC value is at 1 on step 4, and at 64 on step 8 and glide is on, would it be possible to output interpolated CCs between these steps? If it is not possible with sub-step precision (like the LFO effect does), that would probably be no problem, as the track could be setup as a "high-res" track with e.g. 256 steps and a fast divider and that would hopefully provide sufficient smoothness.

Maybe this is already possible and we never managed to find the feature? :)

If not, thanks a lot for considering it and many greets!
Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm resistent on this feature, because it will dramatically increase the CPU time and RAM consumption. We've up to 256 layers which could send CCs, and we would have to determine the target value when the start CC is played - means, we've to walk the steps until the next CC is found for each layer, this will consume some uS for each layer!

The next CC could change while the sequencer is playing, this leads to special treatments at some places...

In RAM we've to store the current, target and sent values for each layer, resulting into 3 * 256 bytes

Best Regards, Thorsten. 

Is it possible to have a track with a chord event be sent to a bus as well as a midi output? I can't seem to figure out a configuration that will accomplish this. Right now I am using 2 tracks which play the same chords. It seems there must be a better way.

I am trying to use a chord track to be the arpeggiator bus as well as the midi output is there any way to use DUP. track?

v 4.091

Unfortunately there is currently no way without a duplicated track.

Background: the sequencer engine handles tracks which are sending to an internal bus (so called "loopback tracks") differently compared to common tracks:

• they are processed before MIDI events of "common tracks" are scheduled to ensure that transposers/arpeggiators get updated before they play the next note independent from the track order
  • they have no timing information - MIDI notes directly processed without delay, note off, echo, etc
  • that's also the reason why the "Duplicate" Fx doesn't allow to route MIDI events to Bus1..4

This approach solved many problems that we noticed in earlier MBSEQ versions (V1..V3), but it has the drawback that loopback tracks can't be used for sending "common MIDI events" anymore.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks for the quick response it makes me feel better about not figuring it out. I realized that it is possible to select both tracks of chords and edit them simultaneously which is great! Previously I was editing one track and then copying it to another like an idiot. ;)

On 6/19/2019 at 10:35 PM, TK. said:

I'm resistent on this feature, because it will dramatically increase the CPU time and RAM consumption.

Hi Thorsten, also thanks for your consideration from my side!

No problem at all, we don't want inefficiencies!

Many greets and enjoy the weekend!
Peter

• 5 weeks later...
12 hours ago, lukas412 said:

Feature request:

Using the Midiphy build

In drum mode while Inst is selected flash button for instruments that are playing notes when the note plays.

Yess, that would be nice, I'm always wondering where my sounds come from!

Hi !

Speaking of drum tracks, would it be possible to define one midi channel per instrument/drum and ( maybe with sort her track length?) a note parameter ? 

I also search in the forum but I think no one has ever ask it so I take the risk ;)

would it be possible in the future to have more than 16 active tracks  ... I now I probably ask for too much :p

hi everyone

a quick proposal here

ON\OFF for MIDI MMC messages per port?

maybe in BPM menu?

for example some synths have sequencer without MMC filter

and in result when you hit play on Midibox, synth sequencer also starts

this might be undesired situation.

thank you for great work TK.

bests.k

Edited by k2z3k0

hi Everybody

during some time now spend with my seq4 ,few times i got in situation when

for example track 1 LFO was controlling cc21(filter cut off),

and time it took to me to figure out "why is my damn filter cut off on track 1 is moving!?"

and it made me think that it could be great to have some indication of it ,preferably in EDIT page

now looking on the lcd screens they already pretty packed with vital informations

so my proposal is

in EDIT page, instead of CATEGORY ,to use 8 lcd characters (counting from top most rightside of right screen)

this way there is still one space from NOTE LENGTH

to indicate for example,ECHO(ON/OFF),HUMANIZER(ON if one of parameter is different then 0(note,vel/cc,length)),ROBO(ON/OFF),

LIMITER(if Lower/Upper is different than 0),LFO(ON if wave type is different then 0),DUPLICATE(ON/OFF),MORPH(ON/OFF),SHUFFLE STYLE(ON if style different then 0)

my idea was to indicate with lower (if OFF),and upper(if ON) cases of first letters of each effect ,ECHO=E,e ,Humanizer=H,h and so on

i feel this can save a lot of time running around

here little example

letters are not exactly in place,but just to visualise

midi.thumb.png.ba78810c58da8e8e26adb9a98

thanks for your time

bests.k

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying my SEQ V4.  Such wonderful work, and I'm still wrapping my head around it.

I'm trying to get a live setup happening using the SEQ V4 to play/trigger backing synths/drum machines for live trombone and guitar to play with.  I'm not sure that the unit is best suited for this use case, but I'm curious:

Song mode: Is it possible to have a song loop a section (let's say the last 32 beats) infinitely until a cue (triggered by a midi note via pedal) once it gets that cue, it knows to move on the next time it makes it to the end of that loop?  I'm trying to figure out a way to have open sections of indeterminate length in the middle of songs that the guitarist and I can improvise over.  When the solo section is finished, I'd hit a pedal and the song would move on at the end of the loop.  I'll have a trombone in my hands, so I won't want to be fiddling with knobs or keys or whatnot if at all possible.

Thanks

Walter

Edited by Blatboy

Sorry.  I guess it was a pretty basic question, being that I think I found most of the answer in the "beginner's guide" hahah.  

ahem.

When programming a song I can utilize the "end" command that will repeat the last patterns until stopped or a GP button is pressed.  I'll have a trombone in my hands, so hitting a button w/my hands isn't a good option... therefore I'll enable Ext. Ctrl,  assign CC to "play song phrase" and send that CC from a pedal. (a Keith McMillan 12 Step)

I won't know until I try it, so I'll get off the internet and on the SEQ 4. 

I'll start a new thread on this if I'm feeling chatty.

:)

Walter

• 2 weeks later...
On 7.4.2019 at 10:43 PM, kasiofz said:

I used the latest release (midibox_seq_v4_096_pre5) on an LPC17 core. The beat led doesn't flash on the first step of the sequence. So I get 3 flashes in a 16 step loop.

If I set the track synchronisation to 32 steps, the beat led flashes normally on measure step 17, but doen't flash on step 1. So I get 7 flashes.

Release midibox_seq_v4_095 works without the above problems.

Fixed in v4_096_pre6

On 3.8.2019 at 5:56 PM, k2z3k0 said:

hi everyone

a quick proposal here

ON\OFF for MIDI MMC messages per port?

maybe in BPM menu?

for example some synths have sequencer without MMC filter

and in result when you hit play on Midibox, synth sequencer also starts

this might be undesired situation.

thank you for great work TK.

bests.k

I guess that you mean MIDI clock/start/stop (MMC isn't supported)
They can already be enabled/disabled for each MIDI port in the BPM menu

Best Regards, Thorsten.

On 16.8.2019 at 10:50 PM, k2z3k0 said:

my idea was to indicate with lower (if OFF),and upper(if ON) cases of first letters of each effect ,ECHO=E,e ,Humanizer=H,h and so on

i feel this can save a lot of time running around

here little example

letters are not exactly in place,but just to visualise

midi.thumb.png.ba78810c58da8e8e26adb9a98

still relevant or just a quick idea?
Will lead to some effort at my side... therefore I would only add this if other people find it useful as well

Best Regards, Thorsten.

New major enhancement available for MBSEQ V4+ users - up to 32 CV channels and gates! :-)

-> http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midibox_seq_v4_096_pre6.zip

o Only for MBSEQV4+: support for up to 32 CV outputs (and corresponding gates).
     Means: up to 4 AOUT modules can be chained.
     Tested with MAX525 (and midiphy Eurorack Expander), but should also work with TLV5630 based AOUT_NG
     The additional CV outputs can be accessed with MIDI port CV2..4.

o AOUT port has been renamed to CV1..CV4

o Utility Page, GP Button #11 now changes to the CV Configuration Page

Best Regards, Thorsten.

4 hours ago, TK. said:

still relevant or just a quick idea?
Will lead to some effort at my side... therefore I would only add this if other people find it useful as well

Best Regards, Thorsten.

hi Thorsten

thank you for time and looking into it

and if others decide is good enough than it would be great!

considering MMC

im sory i meant START/STOP

could START/STOP be separately ON/OFF

thank you

kind regards

Kazik