MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

TK.

5 hours ago, monokinetic said:

Using a fresh compile of master from Github to try out that amazing v4.96 feature set, I tried to set a track to control an AOUT using the LFO as mentioned recently. Indeed assigning the extra out sends the LFO to the AOUT, excellent another source of modulation!

note that this is not really comparable with a real LFO - it's a LFO intended to send out MIDI events, and a typical resolution of MIDI is 1 mS -> means, higher frequency will appear very steppy!

5 hours ago, monokinetic said:

But on my set up (unipolar original AOUT) the output seemed weird. For example, when I first turn on the LFO effect, and set the output to sine I get a triangle. Then changing through the waveforms gave me just lower volume versions of the wave, it seems to be a saw. Having seen this on the scope, this made me go back and check the output via MIDI CC and it seems the same. If it helps, I have experimented with amp and offset. I expected that with both set to 64 I should see the full waveform, i.e. triangle going from 0 to 127. But what I see seems weird to me!

I looked into the source code (that I wrote many years ago) - and you are right:

case SEQ_LFO_WAVEFORM_Sine: { // currently no real sine!

Sine is a bipolar triangle, and triangle only used the positive range

At the time I implemented this, I found this sufficient

Best Regards, Thorsten.

1 hour ago, sis.tm said:

i uploaded the new hex file but when i start to press play on my midiphy now i get a hard fault at pc=0x08036200 . I am trying to find a way to download 0.95 again but i don't know how

I need more input to help on this.

Last time you tried v096_pre9, and this version seem to work at your side, right?

Older versions are archived under: http://ucapps.de/mios32/backup/

so, you could try the archived v096_pre9 again - is it crashing as well?

And in case it is crashing (maybe because you are using a feature which wasn't tested by myself): which of the pre* versions doesn't cause the problem?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi @sis.tm this is interesting! I noticed a similar effect some weeks ago, first download was incomplete. Since neither the bootloader, nor MIOS Studio have been changed, my conclusion was that it's either related to my USB Hub, or a MacOS update.

Are you also using MacOS "Catalina" (10.15)?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi @TK. yes i also use 10.15. Normally I never have probs with mios updating and yesterday I tried it several times and all functionality worked except it crashed while pressing play. I removed the sd card. Emptied it etc but all no luck in getting it to run. This morning I went back to 0.95 and then up to 0.96 again (same file as yesterday) and now it works. Can't put my finger on it to be honest except that I don't like Catalina with all the strange thingies. You also use cv modules right? Do you also get noise when you connect the midibox to your computer by usb and try to record stuff in the daw? When the midibox is connected by usb I get a lot of ground hum. Just wondering if you have the same issue. Cheers Niels 

@sis.tm concerning MacOS update: I will observe this - once I got more indicators what could go wrong there, I will try to safeguard the upload. There are already some measures (e.g. checksums and handshakes), but it seems that this isn't enough.
Otherwise: sometimes patience is a virtue - hopefully Apple will fix this.

Concerning CV modules: just tested at my side. No ground hum, and no noticeable noice. Only if I extremely amplify the audio signal in my DAW, I can notice some digital noise (at an ignorable -80 dB level) which disappears if I disconnect CV and Gate, but definitely no hum.
The system: MBSEQ is connected via a externally powered USB Hub to a MacMini 2012, a "Kraftzwerk" is connected to the CV interface, and Audio is connected to a Firestudio Mobile.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi @TK. i think you are right about the waiting of a new apple update , at least that is mostly what i always do but ok i am not a programmer at all :) thanks for testing the cv modules out for me and glad it works for you ! For now i reinstalled Mojave back on my mac. Catalina gave me way to much audio problems.

Edited by sis.tm

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 3:18 PM, sis.tm said:

You also use cv modules right? Do you also get noise when you connect the midibox to your computer by usb and try to record stuff in the daw? When the midibox is connected by usb I get a lot of ground hum. Just wondering if you have the same issue. Cheers Niels 

I get this as well. I have been working through the problem with Andy, but haven't fully solved it yet. I have pretty much the same setup as @TK (4ms pod) and I get hum. Its much worse than @TK indicated his was, I see about a 20db increase in noise. I also notice that the more step LEDs I light up the louder the noise gets. I'm not even sure its ground hum. The only solution I have found so far is to use a USB cable connected directly to power and not the computer. Everything works great if there is no MBSeq -> PC connection. Another odd note is that it's some how related to the actual USB signal. In one case I was using a USB hub connected to my PC and thought I had solved the problem. Turned out that the USB cable I was using was bad and the hub was only giving the MB power, not actually connecting to the PC. As soon as I replaced it the hum came back again.

Luke

• Like 1

@lukas412 If the computer introduces the noise, you could try to use a galvanic USB isolator, a potential model and how it could be attached is linked in the eurorack modules thread:

I've spent a few hours measuring things with the scope over here: while i get minor digital noise with the v4+/Eurorack modules connected to the PC, i get no noise at all when connecting to a Laptop with a "travel adapter", that uses a 2-pin ac plug (without ac mains earth connection). I noticed some eurorack module manufacturers like Waldorf do use a "galvanic isolator" in the modules, e.g. in their "nw1 wavetable" module, probably to avoid similar noise problems in some setups. So, i'd recommend to try with a galvanic USB isolator, that powers the v4+ side with the same USB-only PSU, that gives you no trouble when connecting without PC. There should then be a very high likelihood, that the noise is gone, as there is no more directly wired connection to the PC.

Best regards and have a nice weekend!
Peter

22 hours ago, lukas412 said:

I get this as well. I have been working through the problem with Andy, but haven't fully solved it yet. I have pretty much the same setup as @TK (4ms pod) and I get hum. Its much worse than @TK indicated his was, I see about a 20db increase in noise. I also notice that the more step LEDs I light up the louder the noise gets. I'm not even sure its ground hum. The only solution I have found so far is to use a USB cable connected directly to power and not the computer. Everything works great if there is no MBSeq -> PC connection. Another odd note is that it's some how related to the actual USB signal. In one case I was using a USB hub connected to my PC and thought I had solved the problem. Turned out that the USB cable I was using was bad and the hub was only giving the MB power, not actually connecting to the PC. As soon as I replaced it the hum came back again.

Luke

Hi Lukas412, these are exactly my symptoms as well . I didn't try the galvanic usb isolator because i workaround the problem by powering the seq by an external power adapter and use a separate midi cable from my computer to the seq for the communications. This works quite good for me at the moment but i am very curious about the galvaniser. Maybe i will order one next month to try if this fixes it.

Hi,

In the SEQ V4+, is there a way to have a Parameter Layer affect another? Or, more specifically, assign a probability percentage to a Parameter Layer?

For example, on a drum track, if I have a snare on a step and I have the Probability Parameter Layer engaged and set to 75% and the Roll Parameter Layer engaged with one of the roll lengths selected, the step will play on average 75% of the time and it will always have roll when it does play. Is there a way to have it play n% of the time and also have the Roll/Roll2 Parameter Layer be activated n% of the time? For example, 75% Step Gate probability with 25% Roll/Roll2 probability. So there's a mixture of single snare hits and rolled snares when the step does play. 

I see that there's a 'Ro' setting in Nth1 and Nth2 deterministic options, just curious if this can be done somehow with Probability for a more dynamic, random result. 

I did try some probability settings in the trigger layers A and B, but the probability setting affected the velocity gate, too, which muted the step with the same probability. 

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

On 10/17/2019 at 2:36 PM, Rowan said:

I've just had a chance to test this with 2 x AOUT_NG boards and I think I've came across a bug.

The shift register that is assigned to CV_GATE_SR2  in the HWCONFIG file will only trigger once and then remains on. 

I thought I had a hardware problem initially but after some trouble shooting I'm pretty confident its a software problem, either user error or a bug. The reason this is that I swapped the CV_GATE_SR assignment for SR1 and SR2 in the hardware and the problem is always present Shift Register assigned to CV_GATE_SR2.

Both of the AOUT_NG boards are working correctly.

@Rowan and @TK I am having the exact same issue. CV_GATE_SR2 only triggers one time and then stays on. It's not the module as I swapped two of the gate modules and the one connected to CV_GATE_SR1 always works fine. This happens with the latest release.

thanks,

Luke

Hello @TK. I was wondering if it would be possible to add additional clock dividers to the analog clock out. Having PPQN is nice, but being able to divide it down further would be really useful for me. In a modular a lot of time I will take 1 PPQN out and send to a clock divider module to create longer intervals. This can be worked around using the trigger out or a gate out but then you loose a track.

thanks,

Luke

On 6.01.2020 at 9:44 PM, TK. said:

MIDIbox SEQ V4.096 has been officially released under http://www.ucapps.de/mios32_download.html

ChangeLog:

MIDIboxSEQ V4.096
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o the MIDI mixer can now send CC values to a bus.
     This especially allows to record CC changes (configure MENU->MIDI->Port accordingly
     so that it listens to the bus in Jam mode)

hello everybody

just testing new release and about MIDI MIXER CC to BUS

is it possible now from MIDI MIXER to change for example Track #1 Semi Transpose(CC48)?

just like with New parameter layer "Ctrl"?

thanks in advance

Kazik

hello again

Idea for option in LIVE REC MODE or maybe any REC MODE ,

that listen to incoming data from recording port and checks channel number changes

and immediately is selecting track accordingly on MbSeq

So if during recording i move encoder of midi channel #1 it will select Track #1 on MbSeq

Also after channel number change he waits (some number of steps for example)
and then if channel number is changed then change it,this is to protect from short switches

between channels which can cause undesired effects.

i think this little feature can improve live recording during the performance

kinda "multitrack" recording

thanks for your time

Kazik

Please be careful with such suggestions of implementation and if it is useful please only suggest this as an explicit option. Other data can also be transmitted to MIDI IN (routing, etc.) than just what is to be recorded (even while recording ...).

Edited by Rio

• 2 weeks later...
On 28.1.2020 at 10:48 PM, lukas412 said:

Hello @TK. I was wondering if it would be possible to add additional clock dividers to the analog clock out. Having PPQN is nice, but being able to divide it down further would be really useful for me. In a modular a lot of time I will take 1 PPQN out and send to a clock divider module to create longer intervals. This can be worked around using the trigger out or a gate out but then you loose a track.

Hi @lukas412 should be possible, I added this to the wishlist

On 30.1.2020 at 7:44 AM, k2z3k0 said:

Idea for option in LIVE REC MODE or maybe any REC MODE ,

that listen to incoming data from recording port and checks channel number changes

and immediately is selecting track accordingly on MbSeq

So if during recording i move encoder of midi channel #1 it will select Track #1 on MbSeq

Also after channel number change he waits (some number of steps for example)
and then if channel number is changed then change it,this is to protect from short switches

between channels which can cause undesired effects.

Hi @k2z3k0 I added this to the wishlist as well. Could be available if Channel "Auto" is selected in Jam Mode MIDI Routing Config
The mentioned wait time will be important (e.g. switch only if within the last second no event from another MIDI channel has been received).

Best Regards, Thorsten.

On 9.02.2020 at 6:54 PM, TK. said:

Hi @k2z3k0 I added this to the wishlist as well. Could be available if Channel "Auto" is selected in Jam Mode MIDI Routing Config
The mentioned wait time will be important (e.g. switch only if within the last second no event from another MIDI channel has been received).

Best Regards, Thorsten.

hi Tk

thank you for considering this idea

"Auto" Channel is exact idea

kind regards

Kazik

hello everyone

While working with MORPHING(mbseqv4),i thought would be great to be able ,

to have option that when called(puch button) leaves currently Morphed values and sets Morph back to zero

This way you could quickly build patterns just from using Morph

thank you for your time

Kazik