MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

TK.

Oh boy, this is fun!

I'm with the 8/8 implementation, 8 global views, 8 session specific things (like: mute groups! I think this is the first time this is properly done in any MIDI sequencer ?!?)

/edit: this can also be like your personal "panic" menu. I've assinged F1 as BUTTON_BOOKMARK - Now whenever I get lost -> F1 > GP1 -> just the Kickdrum running. Safe as f*ck.

Now: do I get a nice meaningless title under my avatar for coining the term "bookmark" ? :tongue:

Edited by stuartm

Stuartm: don't forget to share your txt file :whistle:

TK: Maybe not a request and just my non-understanding: I'm messing with manual trigger mode and I really like selecting all 16 tracks and hitting stop and just playing out new stuff in a juggling live style. I don't wanna break my precious mbseq buttons. I remember there was a way to remotely control parameters of the mbseq but I can't remember where that was. I recall it was not in the UI but in a txt file maybe?

I would like to use a midi controller for triggering mbseq steps AND when needed, use it for live playing/recording on tracks like a standard keyboard controller. This would be preferred to me. Or could I use another midi in of the seq to dedicate remote controlling for the sequencer while still using the other midi input?

Would anyone else would find this useful?

Can a bookmark have all 16 tracks selected for editing?

I remember there was a way to remotely control parameters of the mbseq but I can't remember where that was. I recall it was not in the UI but in a txt file maybe?

Look for the "mbseqv4_remote_functions.txt" in the doc directory of the firmware file.

Look for the "mbseqv4_remote_functions.txt" in the doc directory of the firmware file.

Now the troubleshooting ...

Using beta#40

I've tried MIOS studio 2 and my midi keyboard and tried hitting c-7 and also tried c-8 to activate remote control then hit c-6 or c-7 to try to play the sequence and I get nothing. MIOS is on CH1 on the correct interface out port. Both MIOS and the midi keyboard are going directly in to MIDI IN #1 of sequencer using a midiman merge box. I've tried running both separate without the merge box as well. Is there anything else I am missing? Do you have to do something on the SEQ itself? I tried the c-7 enabling and hitting lots of keys as well but there is no connection at all it seems. Does the midi router come into play here?

I've tried MIOS studio 2 and my midi keyboard and tried hitting c-7 and also tried c-8 to activate remote control then hit c-6 or c-7 to try to play the sequence and I get nothing. MIOS is on CH1 on the correct interface out port. Both MIOS and the midi keyboard are going directly in to MIDI IN #1 of sequencer using a midiman merge box. I've tried running both separate without the merge box as well. Is there anything else I am missing? Do you have to do something on the SEQ itself? I tried the c-7 enabling and hitting lots of keys as well but there is no connection at all it seems. Does the midi router come into play here?

I see two potential misconfigurations:

1) you've selected a different MIDI_REMOTE_KEY in your MBSEQ_HW.V4 file

2) your Transposer/Arp bus settings filter out the remote key.

Try: MENU->MIDI, let Transposer&Arp selected, let Bus 1 selected (but you could use any bus), ensure that Port/Chn/Lower/Upper are matching with the Port/Chn to which your keyboard sends data, and that the full Lower/Upper range is enabled

Of course, I could provide an additional bus for MIDI Remote, but as you can see, this will make things even more complicated.

Maybe I should just cancel this feature to simplify documentation ;-)

-> this is the result of your (and others) requests...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Beta41 is available:

MIDIboxSEQ V4.0beta41
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o Global/Session bookmarks: the first 8 bookmarks are now stored in the root
directory, the remaining 8 bookmarks in the session directory

o hwcfg/wilba/MBSEQ_HW.V4: F1 button now assigned to bookmark page

o added 16 dedicated bookmark buttons which can be assigned in MBSEQ_HW.V4

o Manual Trigger Request: now synchronized to next step

o edit page in drum mode: parameter layer is displayed when parameter
select button is pressed

o added "RATOPC" (restart all tracks on pattern change) option to UTIL->Opt menu
[/code]

oshidash: the possibility to assign dedicated bookmark buttons makes the request for dedicated Fx buttons obsolete: now you can configure this as a bookmark by yourself

Gridracer: due to various reasons it isn't possible to let parameter layer view enabled in drum mode (e.g. to avoid confusion if somebody changes from a common track to a drum track) - therefore the alternative solution to press&hold a parameter layer button

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: just for the case that this isn't obvious to you: you can import/export bookmarks from one to another session in the DISK page! :)

oshidash: the possibility to assign dedicated bookmark buttons makes the request for dedicated Fx buttons obsolete: now you can configure this as a bookmark by yourself

Ah well, this is brilliant! :sorcerer:

So getting just the echo page stored into BM1 global would require to set everything but "page" to "-" in the config slot via notepad. Then choosing "page" number "34". Done!

Maybe we could consider a bookmark-thread for exchange/diskussion after some testing-time..

beta41 is working fine here - thanks for this fabulous feature, TK!

TK: the bookmarks function is really amazing, thanks! I have a V3 front panel still, so accessing some newer pages which are from V4 has always been tricky for me. Now the bookmarks function solves any problems with that, hurrah!

However, this evening I have found some strange things with the track select page.

When entering the track select page, track 1 is selected. As soon as I press to select another track 1 is deselected. Is that expected? I normally use the track select page to select more than I can access by my 4 track buttons and would imagine that the currently selected track should remain selected and the group of selected tracks be added to using this page. More a suggestion than a problem.

Next, what seems to be wrong to me is that I then press 3 and 4, this selects each track as expected. But when I press 5 to add to the group of selected tracks, tracks 2, 3 ,4 become deselected!

A similar thing happens when trying to entering the track select page then pressing 13, 14, 15, 16, 12, 11, 10, 9 in that order to select them. Then pressing 16, 15, 14 to deselect, works fine. But pressing 13 deselects also 12, 11, 10, 9!

It seems that track 1 in each block of 4 tracks is the cause of the problem, but that's just my guess.

Just thought I would mention this behaviour, not a major problem but a bit weird :)

David

ps I should mention that I have my MB_SEQ_HW.V4 file quite customised to match the V3 generation panel. I can post it if you would like to take a look.... oh and I'm running beta 41.

Edited by monokinetic

TK: the bookmarks function is really amazing, thanks! I have a V3 front panel still, so accessing some newer pages which are from V4 has always been tricky for me. Now the bookmarks function solves any problems with that, hurrah!

:)

When entering the track select page, track 1 is selected. As soon as I press to select another track 1 is deselected. Is that expected?

Yes, this is how the algorithm is working.

If I wouldn't handle it this way, Track 1 would stay selected even if you want to select another track exclusively

I normally use the track select page to select more than I can access by my 4 track buttons and would imagine that the currently selected track should remain selected and the group of selected tracks be added to using this page. More a suggestion than a problem.

I don't want to change this, as the page is essential for people who want to quickly select between tracks in different groups (single-selections)

Next, what seems to be wrong to me is that I then press 3 and 4, this selects each track as expected. But when I press 5 to add to the group of selected tracks, tracks 2, 3 ,4 become deselected!

A similar thing happens when trying to entering the track select page then pressing 13, 14, 15, 16, 12, 11, 10, 9 in that order to select them. Then pressing 16, 15, 14 to deselect, works fine. But pressing 13 deselects also 12, 11, 10, 9!

Thanks for giving me the right order of selections!

I was able to reproduce the problem.

I guess that it's related to the SEQ_UI_CheckSelections() function:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Should be regulary called to check if the layer/instrument/step selection
// is valid for the current track
// At least executed before button/encoder and LCD function calls
s32 SEQ_UI_CheckSelections(void)
{
if( ((ui_selected_tracks >> (4*ui_selected_group)) & 0xf) == 0 )
ui_selected_tracks = 1 << (4*ui_selected_group);

u8 visible_track = SEQ_UI_VisibleTrackGet();

if( ui_selected_instrument >= SEQ_PAR_NumInstrumentsGet(visible_track) )
ui_selected_instrument = 0;

if( ui_selected_par_layer >= SEQ_PAR_NumLayersGet(visible_track) )
ui_selected_par_layer = 0;

if( ui_selected_trg_layer >= SEQ_TRG_NumLayersGet(visible_track) )
ui_selected_trg_layer = 0;

if( ui_selected_step >= SEQ_TRG_NumStepsGet(visible_track) )
ui_selected_step = 0;

if( ui_selected_step_view >= (SEQ_TRG_NumStepsGet(visible_track)/16) ) {
ui_selected_step_view = 0;
ui_selected_step %= 16;
}

if( ui_selected_step < (16*ui_selected_step_view) ||
ui_selected_step >= (16*(ui_selected_step_view+1)) )
ui_selected_step_view = ui_selected_step / 16;

return 0; // no error
}
[/code]

The first check ensures, that for the case that no tracks are selected in the current group (anymore), the first track of the group will be automatically selected.

In MBSEQ V3 this missing check was leading to confusion (somebody thought his sequencer crashed since no values could be changed in the edit page anymore).

I will improve the track selection, so that a valid group is determined for the scenario that you gave me!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Update: the issue will be fixed in Beta42:

ui_selected_group = (u8)encoder / 4;

// if no track selected in current group anymore, search another (valid) group
if( (ui_selected_tracks >> (4*ui_selected_group)) == 0 ) {
u8 group;
for(group=0; group<SEQ_CORE_NUM_GROUPS; ++group) {
if( ((ui_selected_tracks >> (4*group) & 0xf)) != 0 ) {
ui_selected_group = group;
break;
}
}
}
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Yes, this is how the algorithm is working.

If I wouldn't handle it this way, Track 1 would stay selected even if you want to select another track exclusively

I don't want to change this, as the page is essential for people who want to quickly select between tracks in different groups (single-selections)

OK I understand, I had not thought of that use case.

Thanks for giving me the right order of selections!

I worked in technical support for 4 years, I know how vital a clear description is :wink:

I was able to reproduce the problem.

I guess that it's related to the SEQ_UI_CheckSelections() function:

// Should be regulary called to check if the layer/instrument/step selection

// is valid for the current track

// At least executed before button/encoder and LCD function calls

s32 SEQ_UI_CheckSelections(void)

{

if( ((ui_selected_tracks >> (4*ui_selected_group)) & 0xf) == 0 )

ui_selected_tracks = 1 << (4*ui_selected_group);

u8 visible_track = SEQ_UI_VisibleTrackGet();

if( ui_selected_instrument >= SEQ_PAR_NumInstrumentsGet(visible_track) )

ui_selected_instrument = 0;

if( ui_selected_par_layer >= SEQ_PAR_NumLayersGet(visible_track) )

ui_selected_par_layer = 0;

if( ui_selected_trg_layer >= SEQ_TRG_NumLayersGet(visible_track) )

ui_selected_trg_layer = 0;

if( ui_selected_step >= SEQ_TRG_NumStepsGet(visible_track) )

ui_selected_step = 0;

if( ui_selected_step_view >= (SEQ_TRG_NumStepsGet(visible_track)/16) ) {

ui_selected_step_view = 0;

ui_selected_step %= 16;

}

if( ui_selected_step < (16*ui_selected_step_view) || 

ui_selected_step >= (16*(ui_selected_step_view+1)) )

ui_selected_step_view = ui_selected_step / 16;

return 0; // no error

}

The first check ensures, that for the case that no tracks are selected in the current group (anymore), the first track of the group will be automatically selected.

In MBSEQ V3 this missing check was leading to confusion (somebody thought his sequencer crashed since no values could be changed in the edit page anymore).

I will improve the track selection, so that a valid group is determined for the scenario that you gave me!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

:frantics: As ever your explanation and support is amazing. I will check out and try during the week. Cheers Thorsten!

....Beta42.... already curious about it, now doubt that it will be exceeding expectations ... :-)

But the reason for my post is something different,I would like to propose a littel but i think useful improovement on the Delay function:

Would it be possible without too much effort to have also a delaytime of "0" ? by this we would get someting like the "Harmonize" function of the RM1X and RS7K Sequencer for free.

If you wold use it with an note offset.

Best Regards

Gridracer

yeah beta42...allready have seen some nice stuff going on there ;)

...btw maybe a little "feature-request" again ( hehe ) , just because i stumbled across this the last days:

maybe it´s possible to change/customize Lay/Trg in the Random Generator Page...perhaps also with a configfile like MBSEQ_BM.V4->MBSEQ_RG.V4 ?

for now it´s "only" Note/Vel/Length for Layers and Gate/Acc/Roll for Triggers...since i don´t use roll very often, i really love to

have Glide also randomized for "instant cool 303 lines" ...just an idea, what do u think?

argh...just ignore my posting...i found it...so many features, i just overlooked it... whistle.png

Edited by nuke

But the reason for my post is something different,I would like to propose a littel but i think useful improovement on the Delay function:

Would it be possible without too much effort to have also a delaytime of "0" ? by this we would get someting like the "Harmonize" function of the RM1X and RS7K Sequencer for free.

If you wold use it with an note offset.

Nice - this will be a no-brainer! :)

(especially since the delay parameter is already mapped to allow insertion of new values between existing values)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Nice - this will be a no-brainer! :)

(especially since the delay parameter is already mapped to allow insertion of new values between existing values)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Awesome! now if we could only get the midi "in" to play the delays in real time too! I really like live playing a keyboard into the seq but wish the delays would work this way. If not no biggie :) Ihave not even really plungged into beta41 enough yet but I'm real interested to see what you have up your sleeve for 42!

Thanks again TK!!!

HI,

just while messing around with the different parameter layers and having great fun, i noticed that not all of them are mutebale

like Note and Pitch are, would it be possible to have also Prob,Delay,Roll,and Roll2 mutable??

Would add some flexibility and be a quiet obvious thing i guess.

Here I am not so sure about, just a proposal for discussion:

I could even think of having the Velocity and Length layer mutable causing the Track to play with the default values of an initialized Track.

And if you think even further, What about having the Trigger Layers mutable? Perhaps by toggling between the

Parameter Layer mute screen and a new Trigger Layer mute screen by using the Select button (while you hold the Mute button depressed)

But all of this options (regardless of technical feasable)or not could make Mute handling too complex and confusing, but on the other hand

there would be no need to use them and handling would be just the same as it is now.

Best Regards

Gridracer

Edited by Gridracer

... i noticed that not all of them are mutebale ... like Note and Pitch are, would it be possible to have also Prob,Delay,Roll,and Roll2 mutable??

Confirmed here. The Hold-Mute screen for parameter layer muting actually lets you set "Mute" for some parameters, but they aren't really muted / still affecting the track. Not sure whether it's a bug ...

I found the parameter mute _working_ for:

- Note

- CC

_not_ working for:

- Velocity

- Length

- Roll

- Prob

- Delay

/edit: oh, this is of course on a normal track, the manual just says this is for a drum track. :ermm:

Edited by stuartm

I will add mutes for these parameter layer assignments as well, shouldn't be a big task, and it seems to be useful

:) :)

in the meantime i noticed an issue with the Move and Copy function:

They will work only correct on Step View 1-16

Beyond Step 16 Move wont do anything at all,

and on the Copy function the selection, of the lowest step to copy, by use of the leftmost encoder does not work.

Instead the leftmost encoder affetcts the highest step to copy what the rightmost encoder should do, and still does.

Hope my description is not too confusing.

Best Regards

Gridracer