MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

TK.

Ok, I tested it at my side again, but haven't noticed an issue.

It's very important that you are removing (or disabling via #) the default "BUTTON_PATTERN_RMX 0 0" entry, otherwise the assignment will be disabled.

Background: for each function only a single assignment can be done. The last one will be taken over, previous definitions will be overwritten!

Okay, I didn't realize there was a default entry for the remix feature in the config file. Problem solved!

It would be great, if there would be a new record option, that is neither "live", nor "step + x", but "pretriggered step", meaning it will record the next note on the next already gated/lit step, keeping the previous step length intact ("overdubbing the notes of an existing track")...

Ok, understood - this could be added easily.

Something I would like to see:

A real time erase feature similar to an MPC or other traditional sequencer. Basically the ability to hold down a button and then also hold down the keys that you want to erase and they get erase as the sequence plays through.

Currently the live recording mode erases all nodes when you are holding keys - this is important for live recording to play keys for more than 1 step.

I guess you are requesting the different behaviour for live recording in drum mode only, right? Here it could make sense (although I fear that it could confuse some people... but the functionality is useful)

Okay, I didn't realize there was a default entry for the remix feature in the config file. Problem solved!

alright, fine!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

@Midilab: could you please test this at your side?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I have tested at my side. Everything fine, but im not using wilba panel, maybe some problem related with HW Configuration?

The famous read before post... problem solved. :)

Edited by midilab

Thorsten, thanks for Euclidean generator, it rocks!!

Thanks! :)

What about separate menu page with for examle 8 encoders driving "Pulses" parameter for first 8 drums? It will be very usefull for making complex breaks :rolleyes:

Ok, I will consider to create an alternative edit view for this.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

After building a MBHP_CORE_LPC17 module into my MBSEQ V3 I'm finally able to reproduce a hard-fault which has been reported.

It happened when a preset pattern was exported - and was fortunately easy to fix.

So, all MBHP_CORE_LPC17 users: please update to V4.062

MIDIboxSEQ V4.062
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o fixed potential hard fault when storing preset pattern
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Currently the live recording mode erases all nodes when you are holding keys - this is important for live recording to play keys for more than 1 step.

I guess you are requesting the different behaviour for live recording in drum mode only, right? Here it could make sense (although I fear that it could confuse some people... but the functionality is useful)

Hi TK, sorry for the delay, I was requesting a new button that you could hold down, as the sequencer plays through if you hold a key or multiple keys on your keyboard controller and that note exists in the sequence it gets erased. That way you could selectively erase notes as the sequencer plays through. I think this would be useful in all live recording modes.

Also would it be possible to have an option added to the clear button so that it only clears out everything event related and does not reset the entire track to default? When recording live and i mess up (I am a terrible keyboard player) it would be nice to just hit a button and quickly be able to make another take. Now it seems that if I clear a track it resets the length and then i have to fix that before I can try to make my recording again.

Thanks,

Luke

Question: I'm thinking down the road when I get to my SEQV4l and have not been able to find info on the translation of the pinouts between the core32 and LPC core. For example, Gates 7,8, and the sync24 stuff is all on J5C which isnt on the LPC core

*edit

Should read the hwcfg file more often

Edited by Altitude

Hi TK, sorry for the delay, I was requesting a new button that you could hold down, as the sequencer plays through if you hold a key or multiple keys on your keyboard controller and that note exists in the sequence it gets erased. That way you could selectively erase notes as the sequencer plays through. I think this would be useful in all live recording modes.

Also would it be possible to have an option added to the clear button so that it only clears out everything event related and does not reset the entire track to default? When recording live and i mess up (I am a terrible keyboard player) it would be nice to just hit a button and quickly be able to make another take. Now it seems that if I clear a track it resets the length and then i have to fix that before I can try to make my recording again.

Thanks,

Luke

Ha sorry I see that my request for the clear functionality already exists. Sorry about that. The erase functionality would still be helpful to me, but I can live without it now that i know how to use clear properly.

Thanks,

Luke

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

sorry to ask this, but i am absolutely uncetain about this:

Is it possible to have one of this neat little USB midi Keybords (e.G. Korg microKEY 25) directly connected to the SEQ V4?? via USB or has a PC to be inbetween??

Thanks

Gridracer

Not possible without a computer or something like this:

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

As far as I know that is the first of its kind. Id love to have a tiny keyboard to go with my sequencer with no computer for sure.

Luke

Not possible without a computer or something like this:

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

As far as I know that is the first of its kind. Id love to have a tiny keyboard to go with my sequencer with no computer for sure.

Luke

Thanks Luke,

i was expecting that guess i will go for the KENTON.

But it seems that there is a DIY alternative:

USB MiDI to-SERIAL MIDI Board

might be of interest for some

Gridracer

The Euclidian sequencer is very nice, very accessible, especially with that pattern display on the right !

Regarding the Remix page: Killer !

Just one thing I haven't wrapped my head around yet: when I do a full pattern switch (not remix), not all of the mixer map settings are sent.

Is it somehow related to the tracks ?

Hi, Stuartm

I got the bug other day, i realize that just mixer data for the group 1 of tracks(1, 2, 3, 4) are being dumped.

- Bug fixed!

I think TK will relaase this fix in the next sev4 firmware update.

Best Regards!

• 2 weeks later...

The new release is available now! :)

Aside from midilab's bugfix we got following changes:

MIDIboxSEQ V4.063
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o The "Guide Track" now synchronizes tracks and pattern changes independent
from the "steps per measure" option

o it's now possible to change or disable a guide track from a song position entry

o the "RATOPC" (restart all tracks on pattern change) option now resets the track
synchronously with the next step

o the clear button now clears the track immediately (2 second delay has been
removed). Please discuss in the MIDIbox forum if you don't like this change.

o the copy/paste/undo functions now also copy the track and drum instrument names
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I'm confused on the behavior of mixer maps. Is a mixer map part of a session or separate? If I change the settings on mixer map #1 and then cycle the power on my mbseq4 the mixer map settings are gone, yet all of the other session settings and events seem to remain. If I save the mixer map #1 and then power cycle the mbseq4 then the mixer map settings are restored.

Also, when I change the settings on mixer map #1 page 3 (program change), those settings appear on mixer map #2, #3, etc. If I change the setting back on mixer map #2 it affects the corresponding value on mixer map #1. That seems odd to me. Is there some relationship between these mixer maps that I'm not understanding? I'm using 4.063.

I can understand the confusion, and I think that I should improve the integration of mixer maps.

A mixer map is part of the session, but currently it won't be stored with "Session Save" in the main page.

Instead it has to be saved separately in the mixer map page -> this will be changed.

Also, when I change the settings on mixer map #1 page 3 (program change), those settings appear on mixer map #2, #3, etc. If I change the setting back on mixer map #2 it affects the corresponding value on mixer map #1. That seems odd to me.

After the mixer map number has been changed, you've to press the LOAD button to load it from SD Card.

I will change this as well, so that it's automatically loaded on a mixer map number change.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The appr. changes are now available in v4.065:

MIDIboxSEQ V4.065
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o the DEBOUNCE_DELAY parameter of the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file will now be also taken
for the BLM8X8 (Wilba's Frontpanel)

o Mixer: setup now automatically loaded when a new mixer map is selected

o Sessions: the SAVE function now also stores the current mixer map
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Damned, it happens again!

It's really time to search for the root cause, I believe that a third-party driver like the USB or ethernet stack overwrites a memory location which is used by FreeRTOS.

And again I'm not able to reproduce this.

Could you please send me a PM with following files of your SD Card in a .zip package:

/MBSEQ_HW.V4

/MBSEQ_GC.V4

/SESSIONS/LAST_ONE.V4

/SESSIONS/<your-active-session-directory>/*

Best Regards, Thorsten.