sammichSID Prototype

Wilba

sammichSID.jpg

Click for full size view. More photos on Flickr.

Full documentation can be found here: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/sammichsid

sammichSID was designed to be the "no excuses" MIDIbox SID synthesizer kit - i.e. for all those people who want a MIDIbox SID but consider building it with modules too time-consuming, too newbie-unfriendly and/or too hard to design and construct a control surface, and where MB-6582 is too expensive, too daunting and/or too hard to source all the parts.

sammichSID therefore has the following design constraints/features, which support each other:

• cheap
  • small
  • DIY newbie friendly
  • minimal control surface
  • single "walwart"/AC adapter supply, no C64 PSU brick!
  • stereo SID, optimized for 8580/6582A, 6581 optionally supported
  • "sandwich-style" stacked PCB design, no wires!
  • laser-cut 3mm acrylic case by Ponoko, customization possible
  • industry standard 2x20 character LCD with low-power LED backlight, customization possible
  • common control surface parts used, customization possible
  • To be available as a complete kit, including PCBs, components, case, hardware and (optionally) two 6582A SIDs!

MIDIbox SID Synthesizer V2 features

• One Core module and one stereo SID module, fully integrated on one PCB with power supply.
    • Five "BankStick" slots, so you can store 4 banks of 128 patches, plus 128 "Ensembles" (engine and patch configurations)
    • Jumpers to configure the power supply, allowing a regulated 12V input to power 6581, or unregulated AC/DC input to power 8580/6582A.
    • Minimal control surface with three user-customizable buttons and LED matrix for maximum bling.
    • 2x20 character LCD with support for low-power (25mA) or high-power (250mA) LED backlight.
    • Potential for future upgrade to MIDIbox SID Synthesizer V3 using add-on board
    • Buying a kit

Details about pre-ordering a kit can be found here: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/sammichsid

Edited by Wilba
updated how to buy

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sweet design.  There's a lot to like about this.  Very nice work.  Congratulations!

I will probably buy a kit or two.  Would the case be available in different colours?

Is the case made of hard acrylic?  For example, if you push your finger in the middle of the underside, does it flex?

Is the case made of hard acrylic?  For example, if you push your finger in the middle of the underside, does it flex?

It's hard acrylic, 3mm thickness, no flex.

Would the case be available in different colours?

The idea is to make complete kits that include this case, in dark grey tint acrylic as the "stock" case.

The problem is, yes I could order cases in different colours, but that really complicates things, when the cases are laid out five to one big sheet of acrylic and that's how I've worked out the kit cost... supporting all possible customizations (case, LCD, LEDs) is really hard to manage. It would be really easy if there were five orders for one different case colour, or five orders for no case (just the LCD window). Some feedback from potential buyers is required here... for now, people wanting custom cases can request them and I'll collect these requests and decide what to do later.

Kits without 6582A SIDs will always be an option, that's just common sense.

Nice work, Wilba! My 18 year old son came to me last week and told me that a friend of his gave him his copy of Fruity Loops because he didn't want it. Then he looks at me and says, "Now I get it, dad - now I know what a midibox is! I want to build one and use it with Fruity Loops!" So, after talking to him about midibox for the past three years, trying to explain it to him, he finally gets it. This kit would be perfect for him - his first midibox. I'm definitely in for one kit.

but what do all the LEDs do?

They really are just for bling, for fun. They aren't like the official "modulation matrix" of the MIDIbox SID full control surface. They're six rows of LEDs which can show meters of the envelopes/LFOs (in Lead engine mode) or act like VU meters per oscillator (in Multi mode or "SID player" mode) or perhaps will be useful in Bassline mode.

There was already a debate about them, likesuchas, why bother with LEDs that don't really do anything when it's supposed to be a newbie friendly design. I personally think soldering 48 LEDs that are held in position by a panel/PCB "sandwich" is no harder than any other kind of soldering, and the extra US$7 in parts will add to the "show off" factor. Unlike my day job, I don't have to justify the "business case" for features... if I want totally superfluous and gratuitous LED bling instead of empty space on the panel, I can haz it.

Seriously, can you imagine one of TK's MIDIbox demo videos that doesn't have blinky LEDs? It had to be done! ;)

:o I'm in. Nice work! Is it possible to get the kit without SID's? Because i got two as spare.

Of course! I suspect there are lots of people who already have SIDs and want to build a MIDIbox SID. Making SIDs optional means more SIDs to share with others who don't have SIDs already.

Nice. How soon do you think your ready to roll with these? I am still saving up for my wilba seq panel and case. I would love to get one but have to wait awhile.  I really like the single ac adapter. You gotta show us noobs how to make good ps circuits for sid and fm.

Is it mesh holes because of internal heat? Do you think the elements would be an issue?

Also any chance of you making a BLM PCB for you MB-SEQ build? Would it be a case of just taking your SEQ PCB file and copy and paste x4 the button matrix from that?

Can you show us a video demo of your sammich in action?

Regards,

Echo

Nice. How soon do you think your ready to roll with these? I am still saving up for my wilba seq panel and case. I would love to get one but have to wait awhile.  I really like the single ac adapter. You gotta show us noobs how to make good ps circuits for sid and fm.

I can be ready to roll as soon as I know people want this kit and that the first batch of 25 will be sold... :)

Is it mesh holes because of internal heat? Do you think the elements would be an issue?

The voltage regulators and heatsinks must dissipate quite a bit of heat when passing 300mA of current... it's a common issue with building a MIDIbox SID - how to get 9V and 5V supplies from a single power input. This design uses a 7809 to regulate 9V from the input power, then passes 9V DC through two power diodes before supplying a 7805 to regulate the 5V. There's a constant load of more than 300mA on the 5V supply (each SID is 100mA each!) so that does cause the heatsinks to get hot. Due to the compact design, lots of ventilation was added so there's no issues with heat building up inside the case.