sammichSID Prototype

Wilba

What does this mean ?? What kind of upgrade-board?

I've made this as compatible as possible to upgrade to Core32 according to TK's current plans, which are, to use the PIC18F4685 as a "helper IC" to communicate with SIDs, DIN/DOUT and LCD modules. Thus there are pads for connecting a "daughter board" with the STM32 chip, and jumpers so the base PCB's MIDI In/Out is routed to the STM32, and the PIC connected to the STM32 by CAN bus. A fully populated Core32 PCB is too big to fit inside the case, but a smaller PCB dedicated to upgrading MB-SID V2 implementations (sammichSID and MB-6582) can be made, or optionally, people could cut a Core32 PCB to fit (messy, but theoretically possible, I'm going to try eventually!), or upgrade to a bigger case and connect the Core32 (and optionally add to or replace the control surface).

Back to sammich -> is the midi-out port midi-thru-able ? Or do i have to put the sammich at the end of my midi-chain because of no midi-thru-function?

In theory, you could make the MIDI Out port echo messages received from the MIDI In, but this would be via the PIC's message queue and add more latency than a true MIDI Thru port, which has nearly zero latency. That would involve changes to the firmware.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I currently have an unfinished MB SID V1, and am planning to get the MB-6582 PC board as a way to upgrade from V1 to V2.

This will allow me to easily expand to more SIDs with little additional cost. I can repurpose many of the parts I already have (display, encoders, etc), and very much like the idea of everything on a single board.

I am NOT, however, very interested in building the full blown control surface.

I really like the simplicity of the sammichSID interface. I presume that this interface could be easily implemented with the MB-6582 board. Put the head (CS) of the sammichSID on the body of a MB-6582.

A frankenSID :-)

I already have an encoder, a display, and buttons. And plenty of empty C-64 shells :-)

Wilba....being the creator of both the MB-6582 and the sammichSID, you've probably thought about this.

Could you provide enough information so that I could make this work?

Thanks,

Tom

I really like the simplicity of the sammichSID interface. I presume that this interface could be easily implemented with the MB-6582 board. Put the head (CS) of the sammichSID on the body of a MB-6582.

Short answer: I have the same number of sammichSID base PCB and control surface PCBs. Selling one separately to the other means I'm left with a potentially unsellable board. Not worth my trouble.

Long answer: Considering the MB-6582 base PCB already has the DIN/DOUT for a full CS, and the sammichSID CS also has DIN/DOUT for a minimal CS, combining the two is not only very redundant, it's a bit of a wasted opportunity. It is so easy to stick a few switches on a prototyping board and connect them to the MB-6582 base PCB, and this not only is cheaper, you can make it exactly the way you want, instead of being forced to use the incredibly minimal sammichSID CS. I mean, if you want the buttons in the exact same places then you could do that now with prototyping board, you won't need a sammichSID PCB... but if you add just a little bit more effort, you could use a 2x40 LCD or a 4x20 LCD and make something so much better.

sammichSID Production Update

The sammichSID cases made with the new engraving on matte black acrylic have arrived, and they came out pretty good!

Paint filling the engraving is a bit slow since I use multiple coats of thinned white acrylic paint, but since the backing paper is left on during the engraving, this makes for a nice mask and the edges come out sharp. It can never be as good as FPE/Schaeffer CNC routed paint-filled engraving, but it's good enough.

med_gallery_3590_6_1229203.jpg

med_gallery_3590_6_868.jpg

So that's the good news. The bad news is, sammichSID kit builders will have to buy their own paint and brush and fill the engraving themselves. I was hoping I could do paint all the panels myself, but it takes too long to get the best result possible. People can also have the choice of colour this way... perhaps people might prefer a less contrasting colour like grey or red or silver.

Batch #1 is nearly ready to ship. I will begin collecting confirmed orders for batch #2 in a few days.

Hi Wilba!

I noticed that you are using curved tracks in places on the board. The last place I saw curvy tracks was on the power-board of an arcade monitoring (the infamous K4600 for the arcade enthusiasts out there). Is there a particular reason you opted for curvy tracks? Where do these make sense? I ask because I wondered whether or not I should do that on my power board for my MB-6582 (when I finally get the board printed anyway).

The sammichSID looks *good* by the way! I was a bit skeptical of the lack of a translucent top but, I'll admit, I think the results are indeed much better with the matte.

I noticed that you are using curved tracks in places on the board. The last place I saw curvy tracks was on the power-board of an arcade monitoring (the infamous K4600 for the arcade enthusiasts out there). Is there a particular reason you opted for curvy tracks? Where do these make sense? I ask because I wondered whether or not I should do that on my power board for my MB-6582 (when I finally get the board printed anyway).

<joke> Electrons don't really like making sharp turns... they tend to bump into each other, so in the audio sections of the PCB, those tracks are curvy so they flow better and don't cause any unwanted noise.</joke>

Seriously, it is an homage to old school PCBs like the original C64 PCB.... and a tip of the tin foil hat to people who wear tin foil hats.

The SammichSID looks *good* by the way! I was a bit skeptical of the lack of a translucent top but, I'll admit, I think the results are indeed much better with the matte.

You'll thank me later. Srsly.

Now is a good time to announce:

EVERYONE CAN HAZ MATTE BLACK!!!

I will no longer offer tinted acrylic or any other kind of custom case material.

While tinted acrylic might look slightly cooler, it scratches so easily and fingerprints show so badly that it's just impractical.

It was a tough call, but I'm not willing to sell something that looks cool but many people will find disappointing, and I'm not willing to sell something just because it was shown in the photos of the prototype.

I will get around to updating the photos etc. some other time, I'm too busy right now... :frantics:

combining the two is not only very redundant, it's a bit of a wasted opportunity.

[:clover: post warning]

Not to mention the weird shape it could end up, like a half pyramid or something:

spl_pyramidhalfwedge26_360x240.gif

Otherwise you'd end up with a lot of unnecessary space around the CS panel if you had to have it square. :tongue:

I guess if someone else wanted a Sammich Base PCB only, they could both combine their orders, lol.

Edited by Smithy

Ponoko have officially disappointed me... they were supposed to be totally ready to start making my order for 20 cases about 7 days ago (i.e. have material ready and have already waited in the queue) but they err... umm... ahh... forgot. So I have been assured they'll be made on Monday and I'll have them next week. So maybe next Friday (20th Nov) I can actually post batch #1. Whee!

Batch #2 pre-orders have been requested to send order confirmations. Some people are still not replying to that email. I may have to swap them with batch #3 pre-orders. If I told you that you were in batch #3 or #4 and you read this (and are keen to jump the queue), send me an email and I'll move you up the queue if possible. (Nagging me in this thread will not work).

Also... I needed to buy some T-shirts and send one to nILS... so in case anyone else is also crazy enough to wear one (and wants to make me LMAO), you can haz one too! ;) (btw there are multiple background colour and style options for each colour of print.) Click the image!

sammichSID_T-shirts.jpg

Ponoko have officially disappointed me... they were supposed to be totally ready to start making my order for 20 cases about 7 days ago (i.e. have material ready and have already waited in the queue) but they err... umm... ahh... forgot. So I have been assured they'll be made on Monday and I'll have them next week. So maybe next Friday (20th Nov) I can actually post batch #1. Whee!

Batch #2 pre-orders have been requested to send order confirmations. Some people are still not replying to that email. I may have to swap them with batch #3 pre-orders. If I told you that you were in batch #3 or #4 and you read this (and are keen to jump the queue), send me an email and I'll move you up the queue if possible. (Nagging me in this thread will not work).

Also... I needed to buy some T-shirts and send one to nILS... so in case anyone else is also crazy enough to wear one (and wants to make me LMAO), you can haz one too! ;) (btw there are multiple background colour and style options for each colour of print.)

**snip**

NEED

MOAR

MB tshirts.

Ill have an MB-6582 shirt thank you.

People have been asking me what power supply/walwart to buy... the specs are in the doco, but I thought I'd pass on a link to what I think is a pretty good one and a good price too (only for USA though):

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PS-1251/12-VDC-500-MA-REGULATED-POWER-SUPPLY/-/1.html

height.500_width.500_modified.1237373195.3190.PS-1251.jpg

Regulated 12 vdc 500 ma regulated wall transformer. Ideal for 1 or 2 CCTV cameras or any device requiring a regulated output. 2.1mm co-ax plug, center positive. UL.

Things to note:

It's described as a "wall transformer" so I can only assume it's a transformer and not a switchmode power supply.

Regulated 12V DC is required for 6581, but it's also nice to have for 8580R5/6582A even though the sammichSID could use AC or unregulated DC. Regulated means that the voltage into the 9V regulator in the sammichSID is going to be constant at any load. An unregulated 12V supply actually can be higher than 12V and only drop down to 12V under its rated load. That means the poor 9V regulator in the sammichSID gets hotter than it needs to be.

It's also got the right plug and the right polarity for using it to directly power 6581 SIDs with 12V.

If anyone is adventurous and buys one now to see if it's definitely not switchmode and perfect for sammichSID, then please post your experience here and give it a recommendation.

And something for the Germans (and I suppose other Europeans who can buy from Reichelt.de):

http://www.reichelt.de/?;ARTICLE=81932;

MWS_9211_GS.jpg

Stecker-Netzgerät, stabilisiert, 1400mA

According to my German translator (nILS), this is regulated, multi-voltage and not switchmode.

1400mA is overkill for sammichSID, but it's regulated so it doesn't matter.

There's probably another one from Reichelt with lower current rating... German speakers are welcome to post links to alternatives!

Wow! This is great news!:D For the past week I've studied intensively about how to build a SID-synth, gathered the information and layouts, read the forums and the wiki multiple times, learning about the different modules and their connections & interactions, and slowly preparing to do an order.( I'm a sort of a noob at building something size of this "magnitude") I recently bought a broken C64 with PSU, so I could take out the 6481-chip (and PSU of course). But this, this is something else! I'm most definetly in for one! At least!:)

Cheers, Asko

Edited by unikoi

Batch #1 was posted yesterday... hooray!

The build guide is finished, but there is always room for improvement, so please give me feedback.

If you have problems, it might be a good idea to start a new topic called "sammichSID Troubleshooting" in the Troubleshooting forum and everyone posts in the one topic. I can always split the topic if it gets too busy.

You can find the build guide here:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/sammichsid

Have a read now while you await your kit, you might want to acquire some things before it arrives, like acrylic paint, brush, heatsinking compound, solder... :thumbsup: