sammichSID Prototype

Wilba

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have 4 green rectangular capacitors (I think) in my kit that are not listed in the parts list. What are these for?

They are an extra set of 22nF capacitors for the SIDs. Only batch #1 received them. Details were in the "ORDER POSTED" email I sent.

Also, would it be a hassle to post a picture of the finished boards with all chips, and jumpers installed in default settings, just so I can have a visual reference, and feel a little more confident with my build before powering on. Thanks!

This is the 2nd prototype PCB, the only differences are some labels, but for the purposes of showing default jumper settings, it's adequate:

sammichSID

i'm on led soldering stage and i would like to know the sens of led blinking. Is it left to right for the 2 blocks ? And what's exactly the purpose of them ?

The purpose is for looking cool in TK's demo video!

...people might think that's a joke but I'm serious.

Ok Wilba for the purpose, i have understood and to be sure that i don't miss me, the leds are blinking in function of sound for each sid ?

They blink left to the right ? I ask you that because i see that for the right leds block but for the left one it's not very clear !!

It's just to be sure to do not make error when i solder them ... It's a vu-meter, isn't it ?

Thanks.

K.

Yes, for now they show the gate on/off state in multi engine, or the pitch of each oscillator in lead engine.

As long as they are all aligned the same way and matching the PCB outline of the LED (flat edge to the right) then you won't have any problems.

Ooh that red looks nice for the Sammich! Patches are in the MB-SID download (off ucapps.de). Note that Wilba sent out specific firmware for that sammichSID, but you can still get the patches from the standard MB-SID package. TK's also asked for help creating an Arp-centric patch-set, which you can check out here:

Though it still needs more user submissions, it might have some workable patches. And, of course, you can submit your own :)

I finally got my sammich working yesterday morning. It's really more amazing than I had anticipated. Dripping with character.

sidiboxBento2.jpg

It seems to not want to trigger Lead sounds via midi unless I go into drum mode first and start to edit a drum voice. Then it will trigger Leads. MIDI sync and patch dumping from the sammich works fine so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

It all seems to be working fine however I did get one strange error last night. Error: "SID1 not available (CAN Bus Errors)". Even after this error I was able to go use the bassline mode on both SIDs so I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything fatal on the hardware end of things. These are both Wilba-supplied 6582a.

Thanks Thorsten and Wilba! I'm floored by this synth. The backing paper is still on until the glow in the dark red acrylic paint arrives. :)

Edited by v4

It seems to not want to trigger Lead sounds via midi unless I go into drum mode first and start to edit a drum voice. Then it will trigger Leads. MIDI sync and patch dumping from the sammich works fine so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

I have no idea what's wrong there... have you got the preset patches installed already? What happens if you init the Lead patch? Does pressing F1 button (Play note) trigger a Lead sound when it doesn't work via MIDI?

It all seems to be working fine however I did get one strange error last night. Error: "SID1 not available (CAN Bus Errors)". Even after this error I was able to go use the bassline mode on both SIDs so I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything fatal on the hardware end of things. These are both Wilba-supplied 6582a.

did you solder R80?

did you solder D3?

check the joints on these first, and that there are no shorts with adjacent pads.

Hi all, new to the list but not to diy. Glad to be here!

Here is my limited edition white Sammich wrapper. I'm using orange LEDs and amber display. I also got some white button caps from digikey. Should look real nice when finished next to my white Access Virus and Whitewashed Voyager OS.I happen to have a couple extra cases I am willing to part with once I get this built. PM me if interested in a white case.

Case is from Ponoko in 3mm White Acrylic. Looks really nice!

Thomas

www.naturalrhythmmusic.com/diy.html

post-7082-12609460791_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what's wrong there... have you got the preset patches installed already? What happens if you init the Lead patch? Does pressing F1 button (Play note) trigger a Lead sound when it doesn't work via MIDI?

did you solder R80?

did you solder D3?

check the joints on these first, and that there are no shorts with adjacent pads.

thanks Wilba. i resoldered r80 and d3 just to be sure but they looked fine already and don't exhibit any shorts w/ other pads. preset patches are installed and sound correctly. F1 button doesn't seem to trigger any sound for me. initializing the Lead patch doesn't help this. all i see is the "1" in "1***" invert on the display when i hit F1. hitting F1 seems to stop the Bs and Dr sequencers but not start them again. does nothing in Ml or Ld.

Just had a realization. All I have to do to "fix" the lack of working F1 or MIDI IN on any of the engines is initialize the Ensemble first. Then it works fine. Thoughts?

Edited by v4

Interesting...

After initializing the Ensemble, save it to E002

Reboot sammichSID.

It should reload Ensemble E002 on startup.

If the problem now has gone away, then it seems like it's just bad data in the Ensemble "Bankstick".

You can perhaps try swapping bank 4 with bank 8, when you reboot it should reinitialize the Ensemble Bankstick (bank 8) and the 4th bank of patches (Bank C internally) and since you probably didn't fill up bank C yet, no difference to you, but possibly a freshly reformatted ensemble bank and no need to initialize every ensemble before use.

Interesting...

After initializing the Ensemble, save it to E002

Reboot sammichSID.

It should reload Ensemble E002 on startup.

If the problem now has gone away, then it seems like it's just bad data in the Ensemble "Bankstick".

You can perhaps try swapping bank 4 with bank 8, when you reboot it should reinitialize the Ensemble Bankstick (bank 8) and the 4th bank of patches (Bank C internally) and since you probably didn't fill up bank C yet, no difference to you, but possibly a freshly reformatted ensemble bank and no need to initialize every ensemble before use.

Thanks Wilba I will try this as soon as I get home.

-nick

It all seems to be working fine however I did get one strange error last night. Error: "SID1 not available (CAN Bus Errors)". Even after this error I was able to go use the bassline mode on both SIDs so I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything fatal on the hardware end of things.

Kinda sounds ever so similar to what I had when I installed the wrong hex.

Hi all, new to the list but not to diy. Glad to be here!

Here is my limited edition white Sammich wrapper. I'm using orange LEDs and amber display. I also got some white button caps from digikey. Should look real nice when finished next to my white Access Virus and Whitewashed Voyager OS.I happen to have a couple extra cases I am willing to part with once I get this built. PM me if interested in a white case.

Case is from Ponoko in 3mm White Acrylic. Looks really nice!

Thomas

www.naturalrhythmmusic.com/diy.html

That looks awesome Thomas. I was wondering when you'd show up here. I'm pobably going to paint my case the way I painted my laptop when it gets here, but i have to wait until some time in January.

post-7078-126125125039_thumb.jpg