sammichSID Prototype

Wilba

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's not sad, that's smart. Blue LEDs are teh evil. They hurt your eyes, have a tendency to be way too bright anyways, ... Dig around the forum for more reasons ;)

Well I have some blue LEDs in other machines that look pretty so I have not had any problems so far, but there are of course many LEDs on the sammich so it might make a difference...

Just wanted to say THANK YOU! The kit was a breeze to assemble. The only trouble I had was when I forgot the jumpers for the Midi in/out, a mistake that didn't take long to realize. Guess I was eager to start playing with it. :rolleyes:

Still haven't quite figured out what the F2 and F3 keys do :)

Thought I might as well share two pictures of it with some other of my toys.

Sammich! Including, imho, pretty nice 2 min paintjob

Oombox 6581 (MBSID)

GameBoy DMG with added back-lighting and noise free stereo jack

Novation Remote keyboard

post-5929-126635692312_thumb.jpg

post-5929-126635693607_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finished putting my sammichSID together a few days ago, had too much fun messing about with it to post here sooner.

Building it wasn't that hard, took me about 12 hours in all (did it in one go, with a few short breaks. There's no way I'd be able to sleep with it sitting half finished on my desk anyway). Painting it took me a bit longer, but that was mostly waiting for it to dry before painting the next layer.

This was the third, and biggest kit I soldered this far, so someone with a bit more experience could probably do it a bit quicker.

Only mistake I made was forgetting to solder one side of one of the sid sockets, which caused that sid to sound all out of tune, and later it just stopped working.

Luckily it was only the socket not beeing soldered in properly, and not a dead sid. Everything works fine now.

The package took exactly one week to arrive here in .nl, which was a lot faster than I expected.

One question about the sammichSID itself though.

Some of the default patches, and especially the "Filtered Poly" one when it's playing 3 notes on a single chip, seems to distort quite a lot. I know the sid is supposed to have some distortion, but in this case i'm not sure if it's supposed to do that, or that I made another mistake soldering it. It happens with both sids, and the output level at the jack seems fine. So probably nothing to worry about, but I just want to make sure.

Now to get a linux sid player working with it...

Edited by aTc

Surely I put an estimate in the order confirmation email... surely... :rolleyes:

Yes you did write, "Payment is expected before 1st March 2010, and if everything goes to plan, I can ship kits before 15th March 2010"

So is everything going according to your plan?

hmm... ok, I know I've been out of the loop for a bit (mostly because of computer troubles) but I sent in an email to be put on the waiting list back in November or December and I just saw the waiting list and I'm not on it...

I don't really care when I get one, I just want one at some point. my pair of 6582s are getting lonely.

hmm... ok, I know I've been out of the loop for a bit (mostly because of computer troubles) but I sent in an email to be put on the waiting list back in November or December and I just saw the waiting list and I'm not on it...

I don't really care when I get one, I just want one at some point. my pair of 6582s are getting lonely.

My apologies, your pre-order email was received but I forgot to add it into the spreadsheet and reply to your email.

Based on the date of your email (15th Dec), you would have been placed into batch #9.

However, I will fill an empty place in batch #7 with your order. Since you don't want SIDs, this will not affect the SID availability for people after you in the list. :thumbsup:

My apologies, your pre-order email was received but I forgot to add it into the spreadsheet and reply to your email.

Based on the date of your email (15th Dec), you would have been placed into batch #9.

However, I will fill an empty place in batch #7 with your order. Since you don't want SIDs, this will not affect the SID availability for people after you in the list. :thumbsup:

Shiny, just let me know when to pay you :)

Me and my buddy had a fun Saturday with soldering the sammichSID. We didn't finish soldering the whole thing, because we ran out of time, but I'd like to share some pics with you. Final pics and some testing videos will follow.

BTW: The soldering fumes filter station is a tip for those, who like to solder stuff and care about their health. No nasty fumes in your nose and eyes for only 20EURs - please note: I'm sponsored by reichelt.de, where you can buy those :-) But my soldering experienced buddy was pleasantly surprised how well this station worked.

Finally I'd like to say thank you to Wilba, Nils and Thorsten for the nicely designed kit and their time.

post-7120-126804204796_thumb.jpg

post-7120-126804208432_thumb.jpg

post-7120-126804211895_thumb.jpg

Me and my buddy had a fun Saturday with soldering the sammichSID. We didn't finish soldering the whole thing, because we ran out of time, but I'd like to share some pics with you. Final pics and some testing videos will follow.

BTW: The soldering fumes filter station is a tip for those, who like to solder stuff and care about their health. No nasty fumes in your nose and eyes for only 20EURs - please note: I'm sponsored by reichelt.de, where you can buy those :-) But my soldering experienced buddy was pleasantly surprised how well this station worked.

Finally I'd like to say thank you to Wilba, Nils and Thorsten for the nicely designed kit and their time.

Finally, an appropriate use for an ironing board!

Hi guys,

I finally got around to building my beloved Sammich. My wife said I should have made it look like a real Sandwich. LOL. No way. I went the custom white case route. You can see pics below via the links. I have one unfinished white case for sale for $50 and one with black paint job on the letters completed for a bit more at $60. The painted one has the protective paper removed but a real clean job on the paint work. Contact me at djthomaswhite at hotmail if interested. Both cases have a solid front piece and I have found having the open mesh sides if ample enough for power cooling. And the nice cool white glows from inside with whatever color combo you have used! See the blurry low light pics below.

On mine I used a mix of red and yellow model enamel paint to get the orange color. I went with the amber LCD. I got some flatted orange LED's at allelectronics.com when I ordered my power supply. I got white buttons at digikey. I have a white knob on it now, but I ordered and orange knob with a white line from pedalpartsplus.com to have as an option (coming soon). I wasn't sure what to expect, but this build was very organized, did it in one night, and worked first time I plugged it in. I REALLY like the sound and have already started to get my hands on sound editing. Nice and beefy and chip tunes here I come. Here are some pictures...

My link

My link

My link

Enjoy it! Thanks to the developers of this and to Wilba for helping me to go the custom route!

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

I am so happy with my sammichSID :D

I used to own a SIDstation, but when i got my hands on the sammichSID i sold my SIDstation immediately (got back my 450 euro's)

The sammichSID can do so much more, and even sounds better (also the filter).

I still haven't used all the functions of it but some i really like are:

-The build in sequencer for the drumkits (you don't even have to send in a midi pattern)

-The random function! (even usable with the drumkit)

-The looks of the device, especially the The LEDS!

thanks for this nice kit guys!

regards

Ronald

25979_378116696034_321539241034_4463132_1161445_n.jpg

The sammichSID with his new friends :)

8 may i am going to use the sammichSID LIVE for the first time :)

Gear

Sequencer: Yamaha QY70

Synths: Roland TB-303, sammichSID, Doepfer ms-404.

Drumz: Korg Kpr-77, Jomox Mbase11, Boss DR-660, Novation Drumstation and Commodore 64 with Drummer (MSSIAH).

Effects: Alesis quadraverb, Zoom Studio 1201, Proco Rat and Boss GEB-7.

Controllers: Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro and Edirol PCR-30.

Recording: Olympus LS-10.

Edited by DaShad0w

Just finished building mine. Had a minor problem which had me scratching my head. I got confused after misreading the manusl and fitted all of the 8 pin chips, I then realised the manual was telling me NOT to put them in so I took them all out again pre-MIOS. MIOS seemed to load OK, but I couldn't get the LCD message to work, or up load the hex. After lots of headscratching, and sleeping on it, plugged in IC2 all was resolved. :thumbsup:

I made a timelapse video over the 4 days, so I'll post that up as soon as it's done :)

Edited by Bitpop