sammichSID Prototype

Wilba

I have finished my sammich and am wondering if I should buy a 1x stereo TRS to 2x mono L/R 1/4" cable to get stereo effects going. I keep reading about "stereo sid" and I can't seem to find any info if the audio out jack is actually in stereo. Is the audio in stereo too? Just don't want to buy a cable I don't need if its mono out.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great Success!!

I've just completed my sammich and have been noodling away for hours since. Thanks to wilba, nils and team for putting together the best DIY electronics project i've ever encountered. The design, scope and quality of your sammich puts most of the commercial 'equivalents' (ie, DIY projects of similar size / price) to shame (imho).

As a result, i will definately be undertaking more midibox projects in the future, the sammich is the perfect stepping stone towards some of the more intimidating projects in the lineup.

Glad my first post here could be praise as opposed to troubleshooting questions! once again, a testament to the instructions!

thanks again guys,

matt.

(heres a pic of my lunchbox ;) )post-7745-034969300 1281317505_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I'm considering getting on the preorder list, but I have a few questions.

How are patches created for this? I haven't been able to really find an editor or vst. Then, how are they uploaded to the hardware?

Also, can you sequence 6 tracks at a time, since there are 3 for each sid, or are you limited to 1 or two at a time?

Thanks!

How are patches created for this? I haven't been able to really find an editor or vst. Then, how are they uploaded to the hardware?

You can edit patches using the control surface. Read the manual: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual.html

There is a patch editor (Java-based) and also a VST patch editor/controller for MIDIbox SID.

Also, can you sequence 6 tracks at a time, since there are 3 for each sid, or are you limited to 1 or two at a time?

Using the Multi engine, you could setup six single-oscillator instruments, each on its own MIDI channel... or configure it as multiple polyphonic instruments. The Lead engine is one voice but stereo, using both SIDs (6 oscillators).

My sammichSID is rebooting every once in a while. I do not think it is getting too hot. I feel heat from the regulator side but it seems minimal. I was thinking maybe I did not put enough heat sink compound on. However, I am using a 12VDC 500ma supply. Is it not getting the power it needs? Should I go to at least 600ma?

P.S. I ordered the standard kit and got a black text on green backround LCD instead of the green on black you have pictured for the borg. Do you still offer the borg LCDs?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My Sammich turned out pretty well. I can't say enough good things about it. Well designed and thoughtfully laid-out PCBs, an assembly guide that was actually informative and entertaining, and a really cool case to put it all in. Here go a few insanely large photos:

post-8060-010161300 1288076981_thumb.jpgpost-8060-070242400 1288076999_thumb.jpgpost-8060-034893900 1288077027_thumb.jpg

And, since Vimeo is being stubborn today, you can watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe88vreivqE. Peep a few more photos on my Flickr stream.

Enjoy that beer, Wilba!

**edited for huge photo warning**

Edited by Siempre La Luna