Wilba

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a bargain :queen:

Isnt that against your rules ? Thats a total ripoff, has he even asked for permission ? Someone should tell Ebay

PS: nevermind.. i dont think anyone will be dumb enough to buy it anyways..

Edited by iZZE

The "rules" which aren't clearly defined anywhere yet (we're working on it) are that MIDIbox is strictly non-commercial... meaning one-off sales of MIDIboxes built using "approved" PCBs/kits is OK. In other words, if you built it, you can do what you want. Common sense, really. But if you start producing many with the intent to profit, and then expect the MIDIbox community to support them, then that's "commercial" and against the "rules".

Personally, though, I don't care what people do with their sammichSID, and I care even less about someone who thinks their SidStation is worth keeping over the sammichSID :tongue: I'd be the first to admit the case is more pro-looking than the sammichSID but from a synth sound perspective, MIDIbox SID V2 with two 6582A vs. SidStation with one 6581? No contest. :thumbsup:

Yeah i heard the crackling SidStation once.. no contest at all.

Thats why i am building a fully loaded MB-6582 :) Not because i need it, i just dont want to start things halfway. No need to start building it when not aiming at the whole cake, not just a piece. I think its gonna pay my rent soon when i see how much they ask for a single 6582 SID Chip on ebay :sorcerer:

I dont understand people that want to keep a crappy elektron sidstation, also i cant explain why they sold so good, and still hitting prieces beyond good and evil.

Greets from Austria/Tyrol

PS: i thought that the "rules" where as follows: If you sell something you are only allowed to ask the priece of the parts. no money for the work or the hours you sit there sweating horror-stricken. I may have been understanding something wrong then if after building it, and just selling one single piece, you can ask whatever you want ?! (maybe 10 % should go to TK,Wilba and the crew for research purposes)

Edited by iZZE

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PS-1251/12-VDC-500-MA-REGULATED-POWER-SUPPLY/-/1.html

If anyone is adventurous and buys one now to see if it's definitely not switchmode and perfect for sammichSID, then please post your experience here and give it a recommendation.

just picked this up, and looked inside. definitely a transformer. outputs 12.01V according to my meter. can't comment on sid compatability yet, eagerly awaiting my kit!

To whoever bought an orange sammichSID T-shirt, congratulations, you're the first (other than nILS and myself).

BTW....

Red Bubble (the site where I've set up to sell T-shirts) just sent me a discount code. So until November 14th, use discount code Wilba_is_on_sale_3028 to get 15% off the price. That's a good deal, T-shirts are normally US$19.95 and they're good quality fabric and printing. Also, buy 4 T-shirts from Red Bubble and get free shipping (there are lots of other good T-shirt designs on Red Bubble, I'm not suggesting you get 4 of mine!)

I make no profit on these shirts, it's just for fun.

work.4115679.4.fig,red,mens,fbfbfb.sammichsid-white-print-v3.jpg

http://www.redbubble.com/people/wilba/t-shirts

Available in three printing colours, many fabric colours, long-sleeve, even hoodies.

work.4115679.4.fig,asphalt,mhoodie,ffffff.sammichsid-white-print-v3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post of vid of me putting my sammichSID to use. Apologies for the low camera angle, it's just a camera phone propped up.

Kit : RM1x providing drums & pads and MIDI sync, Low-Gain LSDJMC^2 (just being used as a though box in this case), Access Virus providing some FM sounds and the arps and of course, the lovely sammichSID provding some PHATT bass. Using my own patch, and I switch to the Monty Lead 1 at the end, just so you can tell it's a SID ;)

EDIT : Oh, yeah, the sammichSID is the flourescent green box :D

Edited by Bitpop

Shhh. Don't tell my girlfriend. I just finished her Sammich.

post-8060-049476900 1289910256_thumb.jpg post-8060-030984600 1289910259_thumb.jpg post-8060-013253700 1289910260_thumb.jpg post-8060-011366600 1289910261_thumb.jpg post-8060-068939200 1289910262_thumb.jpg post-8060-044589600 1289910264_thumb.jpg post-8060-030914100 1289910266_thumb.jpg post-8060-026568500 1289910268_thumb.jpg post-8060-088024900 1289910268_thumb.jpg post-8060-062907100 1289910269_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna try and hold out until christmas, but if she gets all greedy with mine I'll let her have it early.

Regarding the painting of the Sammich: I painted this one with enamel instead of acrylic and I'm a lot happier with the results. The acrylic was good, but it took a bit too long to dry and didn't really fill the engravings in a manner that I thought was super effective. It made the whole painting process kind of tedious. The enamel was a bit more viscous and tended to fill the engravings more evenly. It dried quickly too. That was a bit of a double edged sword as it allowed me to knock out all the painting over the course of a single day instead of several days. On the bad side, should you accidentally get some enamel some place you did not intend it to be, you have to act fast to clean it up. Also, having to have a bit of paint thinner around to clean brushes and tidy up accidents was kind of a drag but, in my opinion, the results were worth it.

She's gonna be stoked.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a linky to a page on the sammich with 3 nice audio samples at the bottom:

http://www.bodyia.cz/sammichSID

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT GUY IS SAYING ON THAT PAGE BUT I LIKE THE SOUNDS AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THAT PAGE CAME UP WHEN I WAS REALLY SEARCHING FOR PICTURES OF THE BEHRINGER DDX3216 BUT A sammichSID ONE CAME UP INSTEAD AND I WAS LIKE THAT IS PRETTY COOL.

Well my Czech isn't perfect but essentially it's very positive build report, at the end he concludes that it would be nice to have the model with 8 SIDs and CV but this sammich will keep him happy for now.

I'm glad to see a Czech midiboxer :)

Hehe, i was just being a drama queen! going to read the translated version now.

Edited by Smithy

After seeing Seimpre La Luna's painting, I decided it was time to give enamel paint a try, and I am so much happier with the result.

I have perfected the technique, I think. I use a 5mm x 15mm piece of thin flexible plastic, cut from the clear plastic that you find in packaging. I use this piece of plastic a a mini-squeegee. Just like silk-screening, I use the squeegee to wipe off excess paint.

Here's the step-by-step guide:

1. Use a good enamel paint. I'm using Tamiya Gloss White (X-2)

2. Apply paint to the engraving so it fills up to the backing paper. Do one word or about five letters at a time.

3. Remove excess paint using the squeegee. Use firm pressure, but avoid scraping off isolated pieces of mask, like inside "A" and "P". Scrape off in two directions.

4. Leave to dry at least one hour. The paint should have lowered into the engraving.

5. Do a second coat (repeat steps 2 and 3).

6. Leave to dry overnight! (I guess 6-8 hours would be enough).

7. Peel off mask. Paint should not be stringy, and the mask should not pull paint out of the engraving.

It only takes two coats of enamel paint to give a solid fill, and still be lower than the top surface of the acrylic. Wiping off the excess using the squeegee means you can fill the engraving to the top... my previous method of using a paper towel to remove excess paint would soak up the paint in the engraving and require more coats.

POIDH? Here you go. Note the triangle inside the "A" of "SAMMICH" came off during the squeegee phase... this was fixed with a craft knife, and I could touch up the black line to the right... but I won't bother. It looks better in real life - the camera picks up every spot of dust and paint flecks.

gallery_3590_6_206557.jpg

gallery_3590_6_109653.jpg

I pulled off another triangle in an "A" doing the kaffeSEQ case... but this is actually easy to fix, just scrape off paint after it is tack dry. I also wasn't so vigorous with the squeegee on the kaffeSEQ panels, and it doesn't cause any problems, i.e. lots of thinned paint around an engraving is OK, mask peels off cleanly.

I think the most important thing to remember is leaving the paint to dry fully before peeling off the mask, or you end up with smudges, strings like melted cheese, lifting or pulling out paint from the engraving, etc.

BTW I did a sample using red but it came out too dark. How did you get the red so bright? What brand of paint are you using?

Hi,

I am trying to figure out what paint I should use for my Arctic Ice sammichSID (which I should receive from the last batch soon)..

Is the blue you used for the device in not enamel but acrylic? I think it looks great.. but should I still rather go for enamel paint if I'd like to have somewhat similar look?

edit: nevermind, I read the above posts and decided to order enamel paint. Remains to be seen how well it works with arctic ice sammich :)

By the way, hopefully KaffeSEQ will be made available in Arctic Ice too!

Edited by jaans