sammichSID Prototype

Wilba

What's dimensions of the case?

Approx. 160mm x 110mm x 45mm

Will be sometime available schematic?

The schematics of the MIDIbox modules are already available.

One combined schematic of everything within sammichSID is not available. It might be, eventually. I don't know how useful it would be. No one needed the MB-6582 schematics. I'll get my German slave to look into it, he's spending too much time writing some SID tracker instead of helping me with sammichSID :frantics:

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi!

Thanks Wilba!

OK!

I may to ask more PCB photos... (base PCB bottom,control surface PCB bottom) :rolleyes:

Question again:

'E1' rotary encoder only or encoder + switch?

(Part list: E1 -> 16mm detented rotary encoder,

PCB footprint -> rotary encoder + switch...)

Edited by Fred

I recently bought a broken C64 with PSU, so I could take out the 6481-chip (and PSU of course).

You may have a working c64 with broken PSU also!

I chucked out an old c64 that was giving me a black screen when i turned it on,

only to find out later that the PSU was ruined, it couldnt even power an mb sid with just 1 sid chip.

Re: T-Shirts

Maybe we could start a separate thread for them, so people can contribute designs/ideas,

for general MIDIbox tees.

You wifes art on flickr is awesome btw, maybe you could coax her into painting a design or something hehe! ;)

You may have a working c64 with broken PSU also!

I chucked out an old c64 that was giving me a black screen when i turned it on,

only to find out later that the PSU was ruined, it couldnt even power an mb sid with just 1 sid chip.

Yea the guy who sold it told also that first it was okay, he played a few games, then he switched it off and right back on again, along with the black screen of death. Thanks for heads up so I won't break the beauty into peaces just yet:) Or when it arrives, that is..

Edit: worst case scenario though is, that both the PSU AND the C64 are broken. :pinch:

Edited by unikoi

People have been asking me what power supply/walwart to buy... the specs are in the doco, but I thought I'd pass on a link to what I think is a pretty good one and a good price too (only for USA though):

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PS-1251/12-VDC-500-MA-REGULATED-POWER-SUPPLY/-/1.html

thanks for the info. I just wish they had an actual storefront as All Electronics is right down the street from me :P

Worthy of a MIDIbox of the Week post perhaps? (I'd like to see how your engraving turned out)

Here a closer lookup - due to the imperfections (see LEDs) this one isn't qualified for the MIDIbox of the Week section ;)

The engravings are painted with "Revell Email Color" (this is neither an acryl color, nor a new web 2.0 invention - email means translated "enamel"), available for 2 EUR in toy/modelbuilding departments of bigger supermarkets (at least in germany).

sammichSID_TK1.jpg

sammichSID_TK2.jpg

Now stop playing and release RC34! Not everyone wants to build it out of trunk! ;)

During the session yesterday I noticed three bugs in the Multi Engine which I would like to fix before the next release.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Here a closer lookup - due to the imperfections (see LEDs) this one isn't qualified for the MIDIbox of the Week section ;)

Hmm... maybe the top edge of the PCB wasn't totally parallel to the panel when you soldered LEDs (i.e. PCB was a bit warped).

You might want to try putting some thin washers (<0.5mm thick) between the 20mm spacers and the control surface PCB. There is supposed to be a 0.5mm gap between the 10mm spacers and the bottom of the top panel (so the top panel "clamps" the side panels when it's screwed down). So... there's a tiny bit of room there if you wanted to raise the LEDs. Did you solder the LEDs to the control surface PCB with the LCD attached? Just thinking maybe if it wasn't attached, it might have made the PCB less "flat".

**EDIT** the problem is something else, nevermind

For future reference, I like pictures of sammichSID next to other gear (keyboards, synths, bikini-clad supermodels).

If there ever will be a gallery of all 200+ sammichSIDs, it's going to be pretty boring if the only difference is the type of floor/table it's sitting on... ;-)

For future reference, I like pictures of sammichSID next to other gear (keyboards, synths, bikini-clad supermodels).

If there ever will be a gallery of all 200+ sammichSIDs, it's going to be pretty boring if the only difference is the type of floor/table it's sitting on... ;-)

I vote someone takes a picture of it next to a sammich!

and it better be a nice sammich too!

Thanks Wilba. I'm having a great time building it.

I'm pretty new to building electronics, but I think I've been doing well so far. I have a few questions. I have 4 green rectangular capacitors (I think) in my kit that are not listed in the parts list. What are these for? Also, would it be a hassle to post a picture of the finished boards with all chips, and jumpers installed in default settings, just so I can have a visual reference, and feel a little more confident with my build before powering on. Thanks!