Hello everyone - what setup is required for assembler?

mikee

Hi all,

I want to get into PIC assembler MB-wise, and wondered what is the minimum set-up needed to change code and upload via MIDI.

A few years ago there was a kind of Virtual MidiBox and a method of uploading sysex commands etc. Is this method still used? Can someone give a brief run down? Or is there some stuff already hiding somewhere?

Have all the software zips been 'upgraded' to C only?

All the best folks

The "Virtual MIDIbox" is totally unrelated to your intentions - it allows to configure MIDIbox64 and MIDIbox64E via SysEx, and to "emulate" the configuration. It doesn't really emulate the MIDIbox firmware, and it hasn't been updated since years...

The .zip files contain precompiled applications, most of them are in assembly language...

In order to change and rebuild assembly code, you have to install gputils and (as a Windows user) MSYS + the "make" command of "MinGW" as explained in the Quickstart Guide: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/windows_toolchain_quickstart

As a MacOS or Linux user, you only need to install gputils, everything else is already part of the Unix/Posix environment.

For C you would have to install SDCC in addition (which is a simple step)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

thanks for the quick reply TK. Yes I get you.

MPLAB goes in the bin then?  As for those Unix-system files etc, I tried but failed to install all of them, and have posted elsewhere with my experiences.

Thanks again TX and to all who have spent so much time coding the apps: THANK YOU VERY MUCH ...

Powered up my MB lash-up for first time 20 minutes ago, and it is up and running, and I am a very happy giraffe, the results are excellent!!!

:)

regards all