Let's order MB-6582 parts

pingosimon

Thanks for clarification about the connectors Smithy!

I just noticed that IC sockets are included in the order list. Aren't they included in the parts kit from SmashTV?

Hehe, this definitely isnt an obvious one thats for sure!

Wilba came up with the idea of using extra IC sockets for the Sids, that would mount on top of the ones that are soldered on the board.

Standard IC sockets have flimsy legs, just like the legs on an IC are flimsy.

So what he did is use premium IC sockets, which have much stronger legs/pins,

in between the existing sockets, and the Sids,

to prevent you breaking the pins of the Sid chip, everytime you insert or remove one.

So in the kit from Smash TV, there are only enough ICs to solder to the board, and plug the SIDs into right?  We do need to buy the extras to safely swap out SIDs?

Yup.

and Yup.

Well i guess theyre not a necessity if youre careful, but you cant be careful all the time!  ;)

Its how reproduction is still possible in this age of contraceptives!

Hehe, this definitely isnt an obvious one thats for sure!

Wilba came up with the idea of using extra IC sockets for the Sids, that would mount on top of the ones that are soldered on the board.

Standard IC sockets have flimsy legs, just like the legs on an IC are flimsy.

So what he did is use premium IC sockets, which have much stronger legs/pins,

in between the existing sockets, and the Sids,

to prevent you breaking the pins of the Sid chip, everytime you insert or remove one.

I'm sort of being misquoted here - I used extra IC sockets in my prototype only temporarily, they weren't "premium", just normal dual wipe kind, and I only used them while I was developing the prototype, so I could easily remove and insert them again. I used them on the PICs too, again just for convenience. It's not a long term setup I recommend - the extra sockets do not have as long or as thick a pin as an IC and so the grip is poor and it's very easy to have bad contacts this way. Use only in the short term if you're moving ICs around a lot, something which most builders won't need to do unless there's a problem getting one of the Core/SID modules working (i.e. troubleshooting by swapping ICs).

done, I will hold one set of each for you...

I will pm you the details, let me know if your interested when you get back.

cheers

Got all of them today.  Thanks a lot!

Sorry guys, I've been super busy and haven't researched any parts.  I'm sure I'll get a burst of motivation when I start assembling my PCBs from SmashTV.

Hi - I am interested about getting control surface parts! I have smash kit and both boards, but it doesn't include the stuff I need for control surface, right? right! Ok - So if someone is gathering bulkorder set for control surface board parts, I am more than into it. How that will happen, I don't know. 110% in? ha :D

Nestle

Where do you live again ping?

I am living in California in the U.S,

bla bla, something about not minding to send orders internationally as he has done before

Im just about to start my mb-6582 baseboard, and when I'm done i'll be ready to do the bulk order for the C.S. (or something)

Thats cool,in the meantime, the rest of us can go looking for bargains on sites,

for this bulk order.

Edited by Smithy

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, finally got my kits, and I'll start soldering soon.

I started researching parts tonight, and I'll be bulk ordering far less than I thought, if at all. Sorry if this is a big disappointment to anyone, but I don't think it's worth the trouble of bulk ordering to save a few dollars per set of items.

Still researching switches and encoders.

uh ok...I really don't see a need to bulk order any of these parts. I made a thread listing where I plan on buying them:

Edited by pingosimon

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...