SIDplayer / ASID Application for OS X?

m00dawg

Thorsten, please remember, you have to release the source publically to comply with the GPL license. This is just to make sure that someone else can pick up the work should you be hit by a bus, or lose interest. :)

You are right, since the source will probably never go into the original project (as planned), here the complete package:

http://www.ucapps.de/tmp/sidplay4-source_4_1_4_asid.zip

New files:

ASID_MIDI.h

ASID_MIDI.m

PYMIDI (framework)

Changed files:

SPPlayerWindow.mm (instantiated ASID_MIDI)

asid/libsidplay2/resid/resid.cpp (quick&dirty callback to ASID_MIDI)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I should add that if:

I start Midi Patchbay, then start the altered version of Sidplay.

Go back to Midi Patchbay and change its input to ASID OUT.

Go back to Sidplay and start playing a sid song.

The sammichSID enters in "SIDplayer Mode" and i can hear a very fast clicky sound, like if the song was going to start playing but then stops.

/end of report

Like I said in my previous post my computer operating system is Mac OS 10.8.3

It would be super to have this working :)

• 2 years later...
The OSX version has stuff in weird places it would seem. I was able to find the mixer by opening the info window (Command-I) and it has an option to mute the the 3 voices. I didn't have an option for digital in but I tested that by busting out some Turbo Outrun action. Seems to work like a champ! Also found out Jeroen Tel uses samples for the bassline too. Very clever!

Hello

My Sammich isn't playing samples.

Muting channels in the mixer via Cmd+i has no effect, it seems to only work when sound is emulated.

Everything works fine as long as there are no samples in the song!

Also, is there a way to turn off emulation when SIDPLAY is in use with the MIDI Patchbay?

Your Sammich won't be able to play samples as there is no way to transmit digital samples using MIDI data. What I used to do what mute all but the digital channel on the computer and then have the MBSID do the rest. Works pretty well. I have yet to install Sidplay after reinstalling Yosemite so unfortunately I don't recall how to answer your second question (though I have done that before).

Ohh, of course, now that you've explained makes all sense... I don't need turning off the emulation then, i need it on at all times!

Just to clear this sampling subject, technically it's impossible to play samples with MBSID, right?

Will it ever be, though?

I just love to listen samples in very low res, occasionally!

Probably unlikely. The digital audio I believe came from the C64 and used the audio pin of the SID (though I could be wrong there). Thus much of the low res sound was external to the SID. If you wanted to at least hear digital samples through the audio amplification circuitry of the SID, you could use the audio in of your Sammich and run the digital emulated output from your computer to it.

If you want the rull on real experience with digital samples, your best bet is to use the C64 I'm afraid. Playing back digital samples on MidiBox SID would require quite a bit of work is my guess. Perhaps the newer CORE32 platforms may open up more possibilities, but I would imagine implementing that would be non-trivial with a fairly narrow use-case. Code is accessible though if you want to give it a go!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Probably unlikely. The digital audio I believe came from the C64 and used the audio pin of the SID (though I could be wrong there). Thus much of the low res sound was external to the SID. If you wanted to at least hear digital samples through the audio amplification circuitry of the SID, you could use the audio in of your Sammich and run the digital emulated output from your computer to it.

If you want the rull on real experience with digital samples, your best bet is to use the C64 I'm afraid. Playing back digital samples on MidiBox SID would require quite a bit of work is my guess. Perhaps the newer CORE32 platforms may open up more possibilities, but I would imagine implementing that would be non-trivial with a fairly narrow use-case. Code is accessible though if you want to give it a go!

Actually, what jsm was referring to is 'digis'. Samples generated within the SID, typically by modulating the volume register at high speed (though other, more recent methods exist).

And no, it will never be possible to do this on the MBSID because that requires changing the SID registers at a pace that is simply not possible to achieve over MIDI.

That said, I'm working on a pet project to build a USB SID playback device that would be driven by SIDplay, a la HardSID. I've got a working proto but there are still quite a few things that need to be ironed out. Digis playback is one of the required features :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That said, I'm working on a pet project to build a USB SID playback device that would be driven by SIDplay, a la HardSID. I've got a working proto but there are still quite a few things that need to be ironed out. Digis playback is one of the required features :)

For the record, it's coming alive: http://hacks.slashdirt.org/hw/exsid/ ;)

Well done and nicely documented! :)

The assembly code remembers me on the cycle accurate hacks that I did for MBHP_TV years ago - it's a nice experience to work on this level, as long as users don't start with enhancement requests ;-)

But it seems that your solution is simple & powerful enough to satisfy requests at host level :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Well done and nicely documented! :)

Thank you :)

The assembly code remembers me on the cycle accurate hacks that I did for MBHP_TV years ago - it's a nice experience to work on this level, as long as users don't start with enhancement requests ;-)

But it seems that your solution is simple & powerful enough to satisfy requests at host level :)

That's indeed the general idea ;)

Best, T.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Thread necromancy I know but I just built this and it's working fine. Just thought I'd mention that the SIDPLAY won't start if my MIDI interface is connected to my MBP. I have to start SIDPLAY and then connect the interface (MIDISport 2x2 but same behaviour with my generic China 1x1 interface).

• 1 year later...

UPDATED: These steps work with MacOS Catalina 10.15.2:

1. Download and compile midi_patchbay from here: https://github.com/notahat/midi_patchbay

2. Download and compile SIDPlayer 4.2, with TK's modified ASID code here: https://github.com/mselin/sidplay4-asidmod

3. If you're a N00B like me, you'll need to create a developer ID with Apple and substitute this for the DevID in the code, as well as the team name, in order for builds to work. This might be obvious for a real developer, but I had to feel my way through that

4. Start midi_patchbay, then start SIDPlayer

5. Go back to midi_patchbay and configure the MIDI input as ASID OUT and set the MIDI output to your MIDI interface

6. Power on your MIDIBox SID, then switch back to SIDPlayer. You should now be able to play SIDs with no issues! (very cool indeed!)

However, you'll notice that SIDPlayer doesn't seem to recognize or support any 2SID or 3SID files (I.e., tracks from Jammer, PCH, MCH, etc.).

Would be wonderful to know if someone has managed to work that out!

Cheers~  

Edited by dwestbury

• 8 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 9:04 PM, dwestbury said:

UPDATED: These steps work with MacOS Catalina 10.15.2:

1. Download and compile midi_patchbay from here: https://github.com/notahat/midi_patchbay

2. Download and compile SIDPlayer 4.2, with TK's modified ASID code here: https://github.com/mselin/sidplay4-asidmod

3. If you're a N00B like me, you'll need to create a developer ID with Apple and substitute this for the DevID in the code, as well as the team name, in order for builds to work. This might be obvious for a real developer, but I had to feel my way through that

4. Start midi_patchbay, then start SIDPlayer

5. Go back to midi_patchbay and configure the MIDI input as ASID OUT and set the MIDI output to your MIDI interface

6. Power on your MIDIBox SID, then switch back to SIDPlayer. You should now be able to play SIDs with no issues! (very cool indeed!)

However, you'll notice that SIDPlayer doesn't seem to recognize or support any 2SID or 3SID files (I.e., tracks from Jammer, PCH, MCH, etc.).

Would be wonderful to know if someone has managed to work that out!

Cheers~  

I managed to get this working, sort of. I built the to two applications and it runs, but the performance is bad.

The playback is very choppy and distorted. I think I read somewhere that this could be due the midi interface. Which interface are you using?

On 9/28/2020 at 4:27 AM, johnnymeek said:

I managed to get this working, sort of. I built the to two applications and it runs, but the performance is bad.

The playback is very choppy and distorted. I think I read somewhere that this could be due the midi interface. Which interface are you using?

The streaming ASID over MIDI signal has been steady and stable for me over both my portable iRig (https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmidi2/) and my full sized iConnectivity mioXL (https://www.iconnectivity.com/mioxl).

Best,

-Darrell

Edited by dwestbury