Outputs #3 and #4 question... possibly issues?

buhler

Heya guys! It's been awhile... Anyhow, I've got my MBFM up and running but I'm curious. I haven't hooked up any banksticks yet so all I've got is the Rhodes patch. (here's the question) Is it normal, with just this patch, to have sound only out of the #1 and #2 outs and no sound out of the #3 and #4 outs? If this isn't normal, then I've tracked my problem down to most likely a bum OpAmp or DAC... I got my YMF and 2 DACs from Wilba a while back and I can't see why they wouldn't be top notch! ;) I re-flowed all my solder joints between the #3 and #4 outs and the DAC for those two channels... Anyhow, the reason this seems fishy if it is normal, is that it takes 3 or 4 key strokes before I actually trigger a note on my MIDI controller. Real curious, huh? Any info is much appreciated! Thanks a bunch dudes, it's great to be back!

P.S. for testing purposes, I've been using a 2x20 LCD so I can't see the audio channels on the screen. Also, I have no C.S. aside from said LCD. I'm working off the barebones setup basically.

Good call Wilba! I read your thread back when it was breaking news but had forgotten all about it! After a third re-flow and shortening the cables between the core and the OPL3 module (by about 75%!!) it works! No problems!! Now on to sorting out the Jsynthlib issues with my PC and getting together a C.S.! I knew my bad habits would catch up to me eventually. I need to make sure I'm not using too much cable! Thanks again Wilba, for the tip and the chipset!

• 1 month later...

Hi to all. I have also problems with that outputs #3 and #4. When playing there is no sound on those channels.

As first shorten my cables between core and OPL module to 15cm - NO SOUND

Tested voltages with mbfm_interconnection_test_v2 - OK

Tested audio with mbfm_testtone_v1c - OK all channels played 1kHz testsound (but only after upload and restart, not by switch off and then on)

then uploaded again midibox_fm_v1_1d but NO SOUND again on those channels.

So I tried to route instrument sound from mainmenu OP12 and OP34 to various audio channels but without change, still played only channel #1 and #2 even if there was Audio on frontpage set to ---- nothing.

Is there maybe bug in a chip? my OPL is YMF262-M 9514 FAKC or something else? I was trying it at two PIC18F452 - all the same.

Any ideas?

And one thing is to me yet unclear, how do the Operators 3 and 4 affect the sound of instrument. Because when I am turning the knobs - change wave or volume ... there is no change on the sound played.

Many thanks for the replies.

Tested audio with mbfm_testtone_v1c - OK all channels played 1kHz testsound (but only after upload and restart, not by switch off and then on)

Thats strange, but interesting! It could explain, why Buhler doesn't get output on Channel #3 and #4 as well.

So I tried to route instrument sound from mainmenu OP12 and OP34 to various audio channels but without change, still played only channel #1 and #2 even if there was Audio on frontpage set to ---- nothing.

To ensure that this is no SW issue, I doublechecked this with the latest MIOS V1.9g and MBFM v1.1d release - still works (when an instrument is assigned to Channel #3 and/or #4)

Combined with the first issue: what happens when you store this setting in the default ensemble, and power cycle the MIDIbox?

And one thing is to me yet unclear, how do the Operators 3 and 4 affect the sound of instrument. Because when I am turning the knobs - change wave or volume ... there is no change on the sound played.

Change the ADSR settings, especially Attack (should be low) and Sustain (should be high)

Also the modulation mode ("Con." setting in INS page) affects the way how operator 3/4 affect the sound - see also the pictures in the User manual.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

@grexA_178, you may want to check all the pins of the OPL3 chip to make sure that there are no cold solder joints and maybe reflow some of them if possible. Sometimes with these SMD chips, you try not to heat them up too much and end up compromising some of your joints! ;) My OPL3 is running nice and smooth, audio out of all 4 channels and no issues, it just needs and enclosure and a CS! Good luck!

So, this week was hard for me. After 100 times checked pins and traces I decided to build new OPL pcb (cannibalized another sound cards). Result is that is not working too. First what i got from the second board was very low and crunchy audio signal but from all four channels, then I changed whole core board which i had prepared for sequencer and to my surprise it worked well but without audio on first channel. What i observed was that OP1 has no function as before the OP3 and OP4 when i had no audio on channels 3 and 4 (they worked now). So i think that must be there something between No of OP and No of Channel...

YES I am trying not to heat them up too much, my solder station is set to 250`C and heating pin last about one second.

In next days i will try that improved layout for OPL and also try to improve my soldering skills. No drunken monkey anymore!

:frantics: IT WORKS

Except the fourth channel and some little bugs. But sounds perfect with all 4 operators.

On the channel no 4 I hear the test tone but very low, seems to me like there was no ground connected or is not amplified, I dont know.

And sometimes when I power it on makes only that "DWUUM" sound and there is some crunchy audio as written above... but on the next power on everything works fine.

Edited by grexA_178