SEQ4 Pattern Loading Glitch?

creatorlars

Hi everyone --

Been really enjoying getting to know my SEQ4 the past couple weeks. Can't express my appreciation enough to TK & company.

I've noticed a small glitch when loading patterns. Sometimes when using the pattern or song screens to change the pattern, gatelength and/or velocity get "locked". So for example, a pattern plays a note on every step whether or not its supposed to. Or all velocity levels get fixed at a certain spot. In both cases I can't change it, but if I switch to another pattern, then switch back, sometimes a couple times, it will load the correct gate/velocity parameters.

Could this be an issue with my SD card or a problem with my build? Or is it a potential glitch in the software?

It's not a huge deal to me, but I wanted to report it.

Thanks,

Lars

Been really enjoying getting to know my SEQ4 the past couple weeks. Can't express my appreciation enough to TK & company.

:)

I've noticed a small glitch when loading patterns. Sometimes when using the pattern or song screens to change the pattern, gatelength and/or velocity get "locked". So for example, a pattern plays a note on every step whether or not its supposed to. Or all velocity levels get fixed at a certain spot. In both cases I can't change it, but if I switch to another pattern, then switch back, sometimes a couple times, it will load the correct gate/velocity parameters.

Could you please upload following firmware:

http://www.ucapps.de/tmp/mbseqtest.zip

Toggle between the patterns until you notice the glitch again.

Thereafter go to the "About this MIDIbox" page, and dump out the System and SD Card informations to the MIOS Terminal (part of MIOS Studio).

This firmware uses the Stopwatch to measure the time between Pattern changes. If it takes too long, I've to adjust the timings.

Otherwise I need more informations how to reproduce this.

E.g., if this happens while switching between two certain patterns, then write them into the preset directory (Track Events->Presets->Save as New Preset") and attach the files to this article.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi,

did you make sure that you have a SD card with an appropriate speed factor?

FROM THE WIKI:

If you've the choice, buy a SD Card with speed factor 100x or more - it directly affects the access time to files. A speed factor of less than x60 is not sufficient for the realtime requirements (e.g. while changing patterns), the sequencer could sporadically block for a couple of mS which can result into temporal hang-ups.

(A speed factor of "1" equals 150 kB/s)

I use a 2GB card with 20 MB/s read and 11 MB/s write without any problems.

When i powered my box for the first time, i used an old 256MB card as a guinea pig.

With this card i experienced real long waiting times.

Best Regards

Gridracer

I am using a 2GB SD Card of the SanDisk brand... it was brand new from RadioShack. So it should be fine, right?

I found no specs about this card on RadioShack's or SanDisk's web page.

But Conrad Electronics also sells a 2GB SD Card from SanDisk and they specify the transfer rate with

3.5 MB/s read and write, which would be a speed factor of x23,3 which would be below the recommendation of

at least x60

But I guess TK's test app. will show if your SD Card is too slow.

Best Regards

Gridracer

I consider to write a benchmark to determine the true speed under MIOS32, since there is no standard for rating SD Cards - as you noticed, "60x" is just a housenumber - It's printed on a noname card that I bought from a supermarket some time ago, and the speed was comparable with the SanDisk SD Card which I'm normaly using.

I've another noname card (2GB from Reichelt), which is extremely slow, especially when writing files. No speed infos are print on this card...

Some kind of "benchmark" is already part of the firmware I gave you. Nothing is more realistic than directly comparing how long it takes to load a pattern or to process the FAT. :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.