Another way of playing .sid files

nILS

I've recently been fiddling around a bit with ways to play back .sid files. What came out of it is a custom hardsid.dll that doesn't work with hardsid(4u) but with the mbSID via the ASID protocol :drool: Technically that means mbSID is now supported by all apps that support hardsid. Oh, and the sidstation as well.

It's in early beta state and for those of you that feel lucky, the (constantly updated most) recect version will located here.

It's been successfully tested to work with sidplayw (not sidplay2w atm), goattracker, ACID 64 Player, and my own little tracker :) WinVice support will follow once I found time see which version it expects... Any other candidates?

Usage: Copy the .dll to the folder that has the .exe you want to use. When the app loads the library it creates a tray icon. Clicking that icon will let you set the MIDI out port (careful - if you don't have a midi device at all it'll prolly just crash, burn and turn off your freezer so your ice cream goes all melty). Select the one you want and check the "try to reopen..." checkbox so you don't have to select it everytime the driver gets loaded.

post-3579-125932489112_thumb.png

It seemsthe driver has issues with some MIDI devices, gm5s work really well :thumbsup: The M-Audio Delta 1010LT seems to be trouble for Wilba and some EMU device for Smithy. If you have a midi device that creates problems, send it to me for testing :angel:

If you try it out, please give some feedback about if and how it works for you with some info on your system (CPU, midi device, OS, software used with it).

Have fun. :yes:

Intel C2D e6300

gm5

ACID 64

Works like a charm!

Danke!

Edit: after about 1 hour of chiptune-madness an error occurred, ACID kept on playing for 5 minutes, then crashed.

It said: "Acces violation at address 0C81C14 in module 'HardSID.DLL'. Write of address 0000001E."

Edited by Imp

Works perfectly with SidPlay1, I'm rocking out to MULE right now! Some system specs per request: Intel Core2 Quad 6600 2.4ghz, PreSonus Firebox, Windows XP, Sidplay1. It does seem to be playing really fast, I tried some different settings in the emulation (NTSC PAL etc) but no changes, I think this is typical of Siplay1 though.

You're right, I had the wrong output selected, sorry about that.

I have the Hardsid selected now, and it played the first 0:09 seconds of the tune and then froze. I tried a few other tunes and it's doing the same thing. The asid program is running, and I do have the midi output device selected, and the 'try to reopen' checkbox selected.

Crashes are to be expected, it's an early version and heavily under development :)

There's a new version up that seems a lot stabler and even plays evil stuff like most Hubbard tunes :yes:

There seem to be 2 flushing methods that yield good results. One of them works on about half of the sid files, the other on the other half :wacko: So I guess that'll have to become an option - "doesn't work, try the other one". Also the .dll behaves differently on different players. For instance Dwayne Bakewell's "Old Friends" works like a charm in ACID64 and sounds like a raped goat in sidplayw.

Does it play Matt Gray´s Last Ninja II tunes? :D Those perform god-awfully at least with my Midi-interface (the Terratec 88 I mentioned earlier).

This version seems much stabler, yes!

Let me know how you get on with them Enth, a personal favourite of mine!

With ASID XP the appreggiated lead used to mute after a few seconds, for me,

and when i tried Sidplayw it had a lot more serious problems!

Let me know how you get on with them Enth, a personal favourite of mine!

With ASID XP the appreggiated lead used to mute after a few seconds, for me,

and when i tried Sidplayw it had a lot more serious problems!

Yeah, I got the same issue with ASID XP, muted arp note on few songs. I think I remember this happening before with the build-in SIDPLAY (which is to blame)? Although I don´t remember what I used to play back the .SID file to Midibox or how, so I can´t reproduce it...

Edited by Enth

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I appreciate this is a bit of a niche question, but has anyone managed to get the Hardsid.dll working in Linux? I am trying to use the windows version of GT (which loads fine) but it wont trigger the hardsid.dll to allow me to select the output device.

oops! DLL in the wrong folder...

Ok, I can select my Midibox SID, using the aSID tray icon but the applications I have tried GoatTracker and Acid64 both hang on startup. This is slightly off topic I appreciate but have any 'nix users managed to get this working?

I am using

Ubuntu 9.04

Wine 1.1.42

and I have tried GT 2.7 and Acid 64 3.03

Any help much appreciated.

Edited by lazerbeat

• 11 months later...

Hi, I've got this working great with sidplayw, but whenever I load goattracker it just slows down and goes nuts. Any ideas?

FYI... using Goattracker 2.71 with SBLIVE EMU (joystick/midi output) with sammichSID on Windowsxp (normally like Linux for this stuff)...

Edited by downerczx

From what I can tell, this is a windows only dll? Right? I don't think it's meant for Linux. I would really like to get Goat Tracker working in Linux. I wonder if there's a direction we could take this...? I think there's a thread about midibox sid support in Linux VICE and another sid player.

I appreciate this is a bit of a niche question, but has anyone managed to get the Hardsid.dll working in Linux? I am trying to use the windows version of GT (which loads fine) but it wont trigger the hardsid.dll to allow me to select the output device.

oops! DLL in the wrong folder...

Ok, I can select my Midibox SID, using the aSID tray icon but the applications I have tried GoatTracker and Acid64 both hang on startup. This is slightly off topic I appreciate but have any 'nix users managed to get this working?

I am using

Ubuntu 9.04

Wine 1.1.42

and I have tried GT 2.7 and Acid 64 3.03

Any help much appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

hello just to resurect this, im trying to use a sammichSID for my emulation duties , but when the game loads it plays about a second of sound then freezes the emulator , ive tried all the builds of winvice i can find, also all the builds of CCS64, is there a older version of the hardsid.dll i can try?

as i cannot get it working , my asidxp plays back sids just fine so i dont know where the problem lies.

Thanks

• 11 years later...