The Hexboard

Ganryu

I am working on making a copy of the axis-64. It is based on cherry MX switches, I am using a different method to achieve the velocity sensing. See the attached diagram: post-7892-027032100 1291685595_thumb.jpg

So far I have used din_velocity_unmuxed_v1c.zip for software and have achieved good results, but this project is limited to 64 keys. I have seen the fast scan project for the 32 bit core, but even that project is limited to 128 keys. Does anyone have ideas for achieving 192 keys (384 inputs) or is this not feasible for a single core?

• 2 weeks later...

TAG: registered just to see your diagram...

I'm building a "jammer" but with ALPS keys from an old keyboard instead of Cherry keys.

post-8466-094297400 1292892472_thumb.jpg

It will not be velocity sensitive but I've thought about how to do it for future projects and one of the ideas is very similar to your solution. I also cut off the bottom peg on one of the cherry switches I had and was going to try it with a photo interrupter as a switch by the new opening. Haven't tried it yet, I should have some appropriate cheap photo interrupters somewhere but I just can't find them :( I was a bit skeptical about using another set of mechanical switches but maybe it doesn't have to be that bad and it would be nice to not have to drive a bunch of LED:s for the photo interrupters.

Wilba: Have you finished your keyboard?

Wilba: Yes, had to make some use of free 3d-printer access before I was kicked out of school after graduating, didn't know exactly what to do then other than some accordion inspired instrument with the ALPS-keys I got from an old silicon graphics keyboard. So the black and white ones were made then but when I made my PCB I screed up the key spacing a bit so I can't use them without the keys getting stuck because they are too tight, could always make a new PCB but while working on it I came to the conclusion that it's probably better to have rounded corners instead of a pure hexagon shape anyway. Makes it easier to press two keys with one finger without accidentally having the adjacent key follow. I printed a few Cherry MX compatible too just in case but not enough for a full keyboard, dunno if there's any good DIY mould making technique that could be used to multiply them, I'm guessing that it would be a bit expensive to use and 3D fab service or paying to use the school's printer to make more now that I'm no longe r student.

Anyway for my first jammer now I'm going with the green CNC-milled caps attached in a not to elegant way with "friendly plastic" and screws.

TAG: Seems like a solution worth investigating but I'm a bit concerned about having the second switch so close to when they key is bottomed out, should be variable though with some tweaks.

• 2 weeks later...

I found two Apple Extended Keyboard II at a thrift store for ~5€ a piece so now I got 200+ more ALPS switches... Think I'm going to try making a velocity sensitive jammer simply using two keyboard switches per key.. should make everything simple apart from making the custom caps.

Ganryu: Where in Sweden are you? I'm in Stockholm.

After some testing with a quick hack test cap it doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore. Having to overcome 2x the tactile bump probably makes it pretty useless for soft presses.

Think linear non-tactile cherry switches with complimentary secondary switches will offer a better feel.

• 2 months later...

Nicely done, TAG! What tactile switch did you use for the bottom PCB? I considered doing this for my prototype but couldn't find a tactile switch with low enough activation force.... hence my labour-intensive extra contacts idea, which got very boring to make. One day I'll get around to finishing it so it wasn't a complete waste of time and money :wink:

In the meantime, I bought an Axis-49 to satisfy my isomorphic keyboard cravings... there are some utilities to convert it to Wicki-Hayden (aka. jammer) layout. I saw this video and decided I needed a short-term fix:

People watching this thread might also be interested in this too:

I found two Apple Extended Keyboard II at a thrift store for ~5€ a piece so now I got 200+ more ALPS switches... Think I'm going to try making a velocity sensitive jammer simply using two keyboard switches per key.. should make everything simple apart from making the custom caps.

Ganryu: Where in Sweden are you? I'm in Stockholm.

Beyon: I'm pretty close actually. Uppsala.

I've personally decided to completely ignore velocity sensitivity. It makes it far too pricey and unecessarily complicated. If I ever want velocity sensitivity I'll buy the real Axis 64 instead.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...