I know i'm in way over my head

zunkdrummer

I'm wanting to put together a midibox 64, with 50 pots/faders (12 faders, 38 pots to be exact if it matters) and 22 buttons with LEDs to control the mixer section of ableton live.

The only experience with electronics i have is wiring up guitars and basses.

The only programming experience i have is BASIC from years ago (which i sucked at then) and basic HTML.

I think I have a good grasp on the limitations of the hardware, as well as a veeeeerry basic understanding of how it works.

I just need to figure out what i need (aside from the obcious lcd, core, pots, faders, and buttons.

I'm thinking i need a core module, an LCD, two AINX4 modules, one DINX4 module, one DOUTX4.

I'm considering using the 2x2 buttonpads from sparkfun if they'll work for my buttons.

Here's what i'm trying to acheive: l_3c962a36bc524e6e9b4ab38280f4c523.jpg

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

So i've come to the conclusion i need to add another fader and 2 buttons to the master section, and another 8 buttons for the menu functions. I'm pretty sure this will still take the same setup with the modules, though.

Can anyone tell me if i've got the right idea here? i'm pretty sure I understand what's going on with all this, but i'm still a little hazy and some confirmation from someone with a little experience with the midibox platform would help in settling my plans.

Also, what type of pots/faders do i need, as far as their resistance? i've got a BUNCH of 250k pots laying around from previous guitar and bass rewire jobs. If i could simply use those that would be great.

Edited by zunkdrummer

Welcome aboard! :flowers:

2x AINx4 = 64 analog inputs => you want 51, all good

1x DINx4 = 32 digital inputs => you want 32, all good

1x DOUTx4 = 32 LEDs => you want 32, all good

+ Core, PSU, LCD, CS parts

You want linear ~10k faders/pots.

I was hoping that was the case. Found some real pretty ones that match my desired color scheme.

So far my experience here has been good. Seems to be a very helpful and caring environment. I haven't even touched any of this stuff yet and I'm pretty sure I'm addicted already, due to the community being so kind. Not the usual forum for sure.

I've priced out my controller, plus an extra 50 bucks in case i screw something up. Not a bad price, beats the hell out of anything commercial. Nooooowww to allocate the funds... somehow.

Anyone have any experience with the button pads from sparkfun?

Edited by zunkdrummer

Yes, we're a nice and helpful bunch around here :flowers:

(except for that Aussie Wilba-dude, he's a meanie :poke:)

Generally your DIY controller won't be a lot cheaper than a commercial one, especially if you factor in the time. But it's going to be exactly the way you want it ;)

The sparkfun button pads are nice and (sh)rubbery.

I'm actually surprised at the cost. I was expecting juuuuuust about double what it's going to be. Time I've got... Money, not so much.

Hopefully this is just the start of my projects with controlling ableton. I'd eventually like to have a nice clipmatrix and step sequencer to go along with it. I've been triggering clips with a MIDI keyboard, but I'm sick of not having control over the effects and the mixer section.

Very interesting actually. Not of too much use to me for this particular controller, but once I get to the others I'll be needing those. With this one i can simply map everything out from within ableton as-is, since everything on this controller will serve a dedicated purpose. For a clipmatrix, on the other hand, I'll probably not only need to do a little bit of programming as far as firmware is concerned, but also doing a bit of API work to get everything working as i want it to.

Thank you nILS for the reading material =]