Infill Paining Techniques?

m00dawg

Was just curious on what people's techniques were for infill painting, specifically with the Sammich. I have the back panel complete and it looks pretty good. But both the back panel and, particularly the top panel, kept having gaps where the paint didn't fill in properly as it dried. I used a watered down mix of acrylic paint but if I have gaps does that mean I need to thin or thicken the mixture? I think I started too thin with the back panel since it just went everyone and didn't seem to stick at all. Oddly enough, the Sammich graphic actually seems to be in pretty good shape - it's the lettering that's giving me problems.

I think the mixture between the yellow paint I used on the Sammich graphic and white on the others must have been different but it was hard to tell how watered down each one was.

Thoughts?

there are some bottles you can get that have acrylic bonding glue in, they have a very fine metal tube that comes from the tip to give you a fine glue line. my local model shop seels these without glue in and i use these, i fill the bottle with my paint and gently squeeze the paint into the lines with the tube tip in the indentation.

Ah both of those are great ideas! I'll have to remember them for the future, although I was sort of stuck on using acrylic paint for the Sammich - I already started it that way so I went ahead and finished it. The results aren't pro but aren't all that bad either - could have been a lot worse anyway.

Thanks for the insight!

Oh wow that looks pretty good! Thanks for all the input everyone!

Alas, I didn't get to use any of these techniques for my Sammich but the acrylic method didn't turn out too bad. Not as good as I hoped but good enough to keep me from wanting to do it over ;) I'm going to keep this in mind for the next project, though - particularly the lacquer / injection method.

Oh wow that looks pretty good! Thanks for all the input everyone!

Alas, I didn't get to use any of these techniques for my Sammich but the acrylic method didn't turn out too bad. Not as good as I hoped but good enough to keep me from wanting to do it over ;) I'm going to keep this in mind for the next project, though - particularly the lacquer / injection method.

I can remember as a kid using sharpened up matchsticks to paint the rivets on aeroplane models....very fiddly and needs a steady hand though.