Midifying 4x56 inputs

Edwin

I read a lot about midibox (cool stuff!) and want to midify an organ console.

So I think I could make use of MIDIO128. Since I have 3 x 56 (keyboards) + 1 x 30 (pedal board) + 1 x 20 (stops/buttons) inputs, I need the following (if I am right):

- 2 x CORES

- 8 x DINX4 (2 for every 56 inputs, and 2 for the other inputs)

Or is it possible to connect 4 additional DIN's to a core module, when not using any DOUT's?

Another idea tot connect more inputs on a single core module might be using a 8x8 matrix. Are there people who succesfully adjusted/created an application for a scan matrix?

Thanks for your help!!

BTW: I am a newbie :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Edwin

Edited by Edwin

Well, I'm a newbie myself and I just took the plunge. :laugh:

I already asked this question and found the answer in the MIOS API documentation. A single CORE can "only" scan 128 input lines and drive "only" 128 output lines.

So, if your console uses a common bus bar to connect the contacts AND if you can't cut the bar every 8th contact like mine does, you're doomed:

you will need 56*3 + 30 + 20 = 218 contacts or 6.815 DINs rounded to 7, and 2 COREs

If you can group the contacts of your keyboards in 8x8 matrixes, you could use 1 DINx4 and 1 DOUTx4 to scan all keyboard / pedalboard / stop / buttons contacts.

The Midibox gurus on the forum might wish to comment about this architecture, because there might exist latency issues with it.

AND you will have to write your own application with a start point in http://www.ucapps.de/mios/sm_c_example2_v1c.zip, because MIDIO128 is designed to scan up to 128 independent contacts per CORE module, but not to drive many scan matrixes.

Hope that helps

Jean-Pierre

An 8x8 scan matrix is possible but I strongly encourage you to just use the extra hardware and do your organ with MIDIIO128. It is much easier and there are many successful examples of that having been done before. The scan matrix is nowhere near as mature and you are likely to spend a lot of time sorting out the Midibox side of things. With MIDIIO128 its full steam ahead on just getting your project done.