midifying an old analog console with motorfader

mindjuice

• 2 weeks later...

i want upgrade my analog console with motorfaders, is this possible ?

Yes...

The mixer has no vca´s inside!
You don't need them to do what you say you want to do.

Analog signal + control signal for the faders in one fader ?

Think of a motor fader as two separate things...

1) It's a fader potentiometer the same as the fader pots you have now.

2) It's got a motor on it that can be controlled from a midibox and an MF Module for every 8 faders.

3) Both of the above separate things are contained in the one unit.

All you have to do to get basic midi controlled motor fader function, for controlling the analogue audio signal, is to replace your existing faders with the motor fader. wire the pot into the channel circuit where the original pot was wired and wire the motor to the MF module. See: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_mf.html This is assuming that you find motor faders with pots of the same value as your existing fader pots and the same travel.

That will give you midi control of the faders... The applications here also have touch sensor feedback as an option, and you might need a couple of other boards for that.

That is a very basic function though... It won't give you control of the pan pots or routing or muting or the EQ. But it is possible to do that as well. Gets more complex when you do, but it can be done.

The secret with this forum is to read read read! All the info you need to do this is at:

http://www.ucapps.de/index.htm

Best Regards,

Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Edited by Fozzy The Bear

I would add one caveat to what Julian said, the MIDIbox MF module controls the motor but it also relies on the CORE receiving the analogue 'position' from the track of the fader otherwise it won't know where the fader is (and won't know when to stop the motor!) so you would need dual track faders, one that connects to your exisiting fader connections and one that connects to AIN ports on your CORE or AINx4.

Cheers

Phil

so you would need dual track faders, one that connects to your exisiting fader connections and one that connects to AIN ports on your CORE or AINx4.

Good point Phil! .... Yes he would need to do that. There is a way around that one where you can read the position of a single track fader as well, but what you say is certainly the easy way to do it. Assuming he finds some dual track faders that are the right value and travel. That's going to be the difficult part.

Best Regards,

Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Edited by Fozzy The Bear

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mindjuce,

did you find a good working solution for your project?

so you would need dual track faders, one that connects to your exisiting fader connections and one that connects to AIN ports on your CORE or AINx4.

thats right I guess. But as Julian said, it's pretty hard to get these.

@ Julian: You say, that there might be some way around that problem with just a single fader. Could you please tell us more about it? Or maybe you know where to get compatible dual-motorfaderuntis.

Thanks

Best Regards

Kenji

• 4 months later...

@ Julian: You say, that there might be some way around that problem with just a single fader. Could you please tell us more about it? Or maybe you know where to get compatible dual-motorfaderuntis.

And did you find somewhere dual-motorfader units? Would be great to use analog audio combined with motorized faders.

There is a way around that one where you can read the position of a single track fader as well, but what you say is certainly the easy way to do it.

I am reading now for 2 days here (& ucapps.de) and still wondering how to get started... can only find one track motorized faders and have absolute no clue how to read a position of a single track fader. Maybe you can help me on the way, the rest I can find then out by myself (I hope!). Programming PICs should be no problem, my entire house runs on this little chips.

thx for any help :)

• 2 months later...