After a 2+ year hiatus, I finished a song!

m00dawg

After a 2+ year hiatus (partly due to building my MB-SID, at this point, a few times over :) ), I finally managed to finish a song, complete with a MB-SID cameo :) Not a very good cameo but it's there (can you tell which one it is? :)

I called the song Hello World because it's a song with quite a few firsts, both musically, and personally. I originally came up with the name because it was my first song to finish using Ableton Live (after moving a way from my old and busted version of Cubase that was about 5 years old). The name ended up encompassing more.

But don't worry, it's not a heavy song. It's simple electro-piano song with good mellow overtones. Hope you like it, but it's not that's ok too.

Just gave it a listen and I like it, esp. the percussion, the melody starting around 1:45 (SID I'm assuming?), and the arp starting around 3:15. I need to knock out a few songs myself, it's been too long w/ work, bulk orders, MB-SEQ, etc.

BTW I just got Ableton myself. It won't replace my beloved FL Studio but I was so jealous of baconjuice's monome in our last jam session that I got a Launchpad, and ended up getting Live to go w/ it. If you get Max 4 Live + a Launchpad you can get Novation's sequencer app that totally rocks. I'd love to tweak it to work w/ the MB-6582 bassline sequencer (may have to hack in some firmware changes so I can control steps from MIDI), but time is limited. Darn that irritating little thing called work...

Anyway, nice work and thx for sharing!

Yep the first simple synth lead is the SID. The fast arpeggiator is actually my Virus. I wanted to use the SID for that but was having a hard time figuring out the clock stuff. I finally figured it out using the Wavetable stuff (with help from TK) but I'm still piddling with that. I really like fast arps for fills though. Sounds so cool!

Ableton Live owns face. There are a few things I don't like though. You can't record MIDI CC events in the Arrangement view outside of a clip. That's annoying when I want, say, my cutoff to span multiple clips. You can get around that with VSTs though. So for those that have an Access Virus TI, I'm envious :P but you can use the VST to control it. Using or another VST to MBSID bridge you can do that as well.

That's really the only thing I don't like. I do wish I had more drum loops though. I was hoping Live (standard) would be chock full of them but their weren't quite as many as I hoped. If you can, getting Live Suite would be best but I just couldn't afford that all at once. I'll probably upgrade to it eventually though.

In short, I still highly recommend Live. It has had a dramatic change in the way I make music, and for the better!

Yep the first simple synth lead is the SID. The fast arpeggiator is actually my Virus. I wanted to use the SID for that but was having a hard time figuring out the clock stuff. I finally figured it out using the Wavetable stuff (with help from TK) but I'm still piddling with that. I really like fast arps for fills though. Sounds so cool!

Ableton Live owns face. There are a few things I don't like though. You can't record MIDI CC events in the Arrangement view outside of a clip. That's annoying when I want, say, my cutoff to span multiple clips. You can get around that with VSTs though. So for those that have an Access Virus TI, I'm envious :P but you can use the VST to control it. Using or another VST to MBSID bridge you can do that as well.

That's really the only thing I don't like. I do wish I had more drum loops though. I was hoping Live (standard) would be chock full of them but their weren't quite as many as I hoped. If you can, getting Live Suite would be best but I just couldn't afford that all at once. I'll probably upgrade to it eventually though.

In short, I still highly recommend Live. It has had a dramatic change in the way I make music, and for the better!

Not enough drum loops??! Time to hit the sample CD stores. :-) Though these days I usually roll my own from individual hits, with the occasional hi hat loop or something. That works great for dance-y stuff that I like.

I also recently got Audio Damage's new drum synth Tattoo which is loads of fun, and I just got it outputting MIDI to my 888. Good times ahead on the drum front!

Hmm I'll have to check out Tattoo it looks pretty cool! Live ships with *some* loops, just not a lot. And it's true I can build them but I have always found it hard to reproduce the full sound of a real recorded dancey loop. Not sure how they work that magic :) The instrument pack that comes with Live box-set, though it is also a bit sparse, is really good. I used the piano from it for this song, but it also has some nice strings and brass ensembles.

If you're into dance stuff get some of the Vengeance Sound sample CDs. Airwave Triloops is pretty good also.

I'm getting better at programming dance drum loops. Still have a ways to go. The Jomox 888 helps a bit since you get a nice, full sound with little processing (though a little pumping compression helps). You need a little swing as well. And just start adding in quiet little accents here and there as well as some toms or little clicks or bleeps. I often will add in a loop for a shaker or extra hats or something which helps. I made a pretty good loop the other night using Tattoo and some other little bits and I'm still not 100% sure how I got there, but the main gist is practice, practice, practice...

Hopefully I won't have to work this weekend and I can get in some music time!