MIDIbox of the Week: MIDIbox Minimoog by Alkex

Alkex

Hi All

I just finished my minimoog controller and thought I'd share it with you!

20245_291594571564_607621564_4577129_75624_n.jpg

Features:

Simple design: Used 1 core and 2 breadboard ain modules.

Bus powered USB: I took a cheap usb/midi cable (ebay) and hard-wired the midi input and 5v from the usb port directly to the core.

Dimensions: Front panel is considerable smaller than the original minimoog (designed to sit over my MB SID keyboard)

Front panel: 100% front panel designer

switches: Cheapo rocker switches spray painted and wired as pots (to save the hassle of building a DIN Module )

I don't have photos of the inside but you can see it's ugly guts in this video:

20245_294197871564_607621564_4588842_222291_n.jpg

20245_294197876564_607621564_4588843_4047418_n.jpg

20245_294197881564_607621564_4588844_6559845_n.jpg

20245_294197886564_607621564_4588845_4677264_n.jpg

Thanks for looking

All the best

Alkex

Oh man,

almost 2 years ago i was blown away by this:

And now im even more blown away by yours!

I love how you made it extremely close to the original, even the blue and red switches!

This is truly a thing of beauty.

Edited by Smithy

• 2 weeks later...

Nice controller indeed ...

Maybe you still have room for a hardware minimoog DSP emulation board: check the ASX board from Use-Audio:

http://www.use-audio.com/asx.htm

It could save some PC CPU power (the processing is done by the DSP)

It would provide you a good sounding cheap 12 note polyphonic Minimoog DSP emulation (150 €). You will get also some alternative plug-in you can choose to use when not using the Minimax, the Lightwave, a digital synth providing something inspired from the Prophet VS, The vVocodizer, a rather nice vocoder and the B3000 a B3 emulation. Some other plugs can be bought at a bargain price (99 €) including a Prophet 5 and an Odyssey emulations ...

post-6970-12654846587_thumb.jpg

It could save some PC CPU power (the processing is done by the DSP)

It would provide you a good sounding cheap 12 note polyphonic Minimoog DSP emulation (150 €). You will get also some alternative plug-in you can choose to use when not using the Minimax, the Lightwave, a digital synth providing something inspired from the Prophet VS, The vVocodizer, a rather nice vocoder and the B3000 a B3 emulation. Some other plugs can be bought at a bargain price (99 €) including a Prophet 5 and an Odyssey emulations ...

Exciting concept but are you sure the the ASX board is stand alone? looks like an expansion card which would require CME UF or VX keyboards.

Edited by Alex Smith

The ASX is not a standalone board: it is actually a part of the plugiator.

But I do think the ASX can be used a DIY integrated board: from what I know, the other board (3) available in the plugiator are:

- a controller board for the front panel (a kind of simple fixed setting MidiBox)

- a MIDI and power supply connexion board

- the main ASX board (integrating the DSP, the audio I/O and USB)

I will try to request more information from Use Audio ...

Edited by HUROLURA

Hi All I just finished my minimoog controller and thought I'd share it with you!

All I can say is WOW!! :yes: I love it!!....

Doing a Minimoog replica is already next on my list of projects after the Prophet 5, but your Minimoog controller is fantastic! very nice work.

Best Regards,

Julian (Fozzy The Bear)