MB-6582 From Smash T.V. Newbie Question

undothis

I have extensive soldering experience only on guitar pedals though. I wanted to start with the sammichSID but I am high up there on the list so I am going to try my best at building the MB-6582. I am buying the Baseboard PCB ,MB-6582 CS PCB, and the MB-6582 Baseboard Parts Kit with the PIC 18F4685s. I have 4 sid chips on the way and a power supply from one of my old commodore 64's. Other than acquiring parts for the surface mount and the case am I good to go? Also does the circuit board have all of the part names? Any other suggestions would be really appreciated. i can tell this is going to be an adventure.)

Thank You kindly,

~oO

Edited by undothis

Not sure where you are located but here's a post with a list of Mouser part numbers that you might find helpful:

(I really need to add this info to the wiki...)

You will also need some bolts, nuts, etc. I assume you've seen the wiki page for the project which has all the info:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wilba

There is a parts page that should answer most questions.

The PCBs are well labeled so it is a relatively easy build. Just go in stages as directed in the build guide and actually do the tests at each step. Trust me, this will make your life much easier. And don't insert your SIDs until everything else is solid. You don't want to risk frying those not-so-easily-replaced parts.

Have fun and post questions if you get stuck.

Regards,

C

Other than acquiring parts for the surface mount and the case am I good to go? Also does the circuit board have all of the part names? Any other suggestions would be really appreciated. i can tell this is going to be an adventure.)

As far as the case goes, I'd highly recommend the pre made front panel...

either from schaeffer, or this thread

there's a LOT of switch and LED holes (over 200) to drill otherwise. and there's no point planning on buying it after you built and tested the 6582, because you'll need the front panel before you can finish the control surface, in order to solder the LEDs in the right position.

If you're not planning on going the premade panel, you may as well skip the CS PCB too.

As for the PSU, my recently built 8 sid 6582 seems to run fine on a newer beige C64 power supply. though some people needed the black one which is a bit higher power, to get stable running. YMMV depending on the current load of your particular unit especially LCD backlight and CS LED options you go with, and the state of your c64 supply... I went with orange 70 degree LEDs from farnell in the end, and drive them with 2k resistors.

Edited by no-fi