Different between 6581 and 8580/6582A?

vintagestar

Hi,

Just wondering what is the different between 6581 and 8580? I mean the way they sound? I just load all 128 preset patches in the sammichSID. I install MOS 6581 in the sammichSID. Do I get all 128 patches sounds the same as the mos 8580 and 6582A ?

P.S The 6581 chips gets pretty hot. Is it normal? I have test the socket is about 12.13V. How come the chip gets kind of hot? Is this going to kill the MOS chip if I use it for a few hours?

Regards,

vintagestar

Edited by vintagestar

P.S The 6581 chips gets pretty hot. Is it normal? I have test the socket is about 12.13V. How come the chip gets kind of hot? Is this going to kill the MOS chip if I use it for a few hours?

Regards,

vintagestar

The 6581s do run hot indeed, do a search for heatsink in the mbsid forum and youll see heatsinks fussylizard used (i think).

Hi,

Just wondering what is the different between 6581 and 8580? I mean the way they sound?

Google will also produce TONS of info - this stuff have been discussed for the last 15 years or so. Both by C64 enthusiasts, Prophet64/MSSIAH users, HardSID users, SIDstation users.. and finally here, on our very own forum :) There are even sites where you can hear the different SIDs play the same tracks and so on, and so on, and so on.....

Try this out - 51491 SID tunes recorded to MP3 with different SIDs

http://fonix.dyndns.org:40000/soasc/

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure how many actually know it, cause it's rather "elusive", but there IS a difference in the sound between the 8580 and the 6582A SID chips. The difference is actually rather prominent, but it only shows when using the Band Pass filter... the 6582A is in my view better than the 8580R5 because it's more... erm... "throatal" (in lack of better words to describe it).

Anyways, the difference is still so small that most would probably not even care, and some might even like the 8580R5's sound better... who knows!? :ike:

I'm not sure how many actually know it, cause it's rather "elusive", but there IS a difference in the sound between the 8580 and the 6582A SID chips. The difference is actually rather prominent, but it only shows when using the Band Pass filter... the 6582A is in my view better than the 8580R5 because it's more... erm... "throatal" (in lack of better words to describe it).

Anyways, the difference is still so small that most would probably not even care, and some might even like the 8580R5's sound better... who knows!? :ike:

Are you still trying to perpetuate this myth, Razmo? :rolleyes:

Now that you have a sammichSID, put your 8580R5 next to a 6582A and do some side-by-side samples using the same MONO patch.

Then share the patch so I can hear the difference too with my SID collection.

I tried really hard to get a different sound out of my MOS 8580R5, CSG 8580R5, CSG 6582 and CSG 6582A and can't.

I stopped trying when I sent a dead 6582A to that guy who takes photos of the silicon die inside SIDs. He confirmed the 6582A die has the same "8580R5" markings.

I'd really like to know how you get different sound out of them, and whether you have a "different" sounding 8580R5 or 6582A.