MIDI DJ CJ CONTROLLER (ATmega16)

Avarges-RU

Hi all !

I want to present my controller based on atmega16, it is in 2 variants:

1. MIDI DJ CJ CONTROLLER EASY (2 faders, have midi-out, i connect it via game port, power from game port too)

2. MIDI DJ CJ CONTROLLER 2.0 USB (8 faders, 5 knobs with led backlight, have midi and USB out and support USB-programming via bootloader)

First is complete project and it's very easy to be copied, project here: http://avargesnano.narod.ru/MIDI-DJ-CJ-Controller-EASY.zip

Second variant is almost complete ...huh, so many time need to make good face design

midi-dj-cj-controller-2.0-usb-prototype.jpg

Description will be here in 1-2 week: http://avargesnano.narod.ru/MIDI-DJ-CJ-CONTROLLER-2.0.html

First youtube video of device testing:

I had spent about 1 month of free time and it's very interest to make that kind of device day by day. Idea about handmade variants is from that site, from midiboxes.

• 2 weeks later...

HI!

Very good project!

I would have a question:

LED1-LED6 (6 piece)

S1-S5 (5 piece)

Which LED to belong to which switch?

Thank you!

One of the LEDs is 3-pin (2 color LED). One part of it is knobs-only midi-activity LED (LED4), second color is for switch (LED3 = S1). Other is: S2 - LED5, S3 - LED6, S4 - LED1, S5 - LED2

Today i have released english-interface software and new firmware: http://avargesnano.narod.ru/MIDI-DJ-CJ-CONTROLLER-2.0-USB-14.02.10.zip (page http://avargesnano.narod.ru/MIDI-DJ-CJ-CONTROLLER-2.0.html )

midi-dj-cj-controller-2.0-usb-software.jpg

*Software has crash on the start if no MIDI input devices is in the system (so i start it after connecting my device). i will fix it in new version.

Thank you for the answer!

Like this already understandable for me.

(I learned a Russian language little...)

I would like to build the controller.

But sliding potentiometer I would like it...

Very good the software!

There will be a newer hardware version?

Newer plans?

Thank you for the answer!

Like this already understandable for me.

(I learned a Russian language little...)

I would like to build the controller.

But sliding potentiometer I would like it...

Very good the software!

There will be a newer hardware version?

Newer plans?

Sliding potentiometers are nice. Now i'm try to build something like Midibox 808 (drum midi seqeuncer). I think first of all i try to build this site variant because of firmware. So now i have din/dout modules = it's really nice hardware and in any way i will use them. Now the question is: to use midibox core or self made core module. It's really hard or expensive to find PIC18f4620 in Russia and also i would like to work with Atmel controllers.

I was building first a MIDIbox FM. (New full SMD PCB with own planning.)

My second work a sammichSID clone. (Not kit, own pcb.)

I built it up yet a MBHP USB-PIC module. (Totally new own pcb.)

I would like soon a MIDI DJ CJ CONTROLLER...

I like it better the ATMEL AVR.

In Hungary expensive the PIC...

I was looking the 808.

A drum seqeuncer would be good for me...

Return to the MIDI DJ CJ CONTROLLER!

Will a newer controller be next? (For example instead of a potentiometer rotary ecoder.)

Edited by Fred

I think the point is that a MIDIbox is not just the MBHP_XXXX modules, in fact they are a fairly small part of it. The software that has been developed and refined by TK over the last 12 years, namely MIOS and the MB_SEQ (which the MB-808 is based on) is the biggest part.

These are 100% developed in PIC assembly so it would not be that easy to port to another platform, TK first started the STM32 port over 18 months ago and although he has made massive progress, much of it is still "beta".

The MB-SEQ/MB-808 are complex programs with thousands of lines of code and I really can't see why you would want to re-invent the wheel recreating it on something like the AVR which doesn't really offer much in functionality or performance over the PIC device.

Cheers

Phil

Return to the MIDI DJ CJ CONTROLLER!

Will a newer controller be next? (For example instead of a potentiometer rotary ecoder.)

Maybe. I try to sell my device in Russia now. If i'll have success with that i will develop newer version of device. Yes, i want to try 1-2 encoders - it is interesting for me like radio-hobby

I really can't see why you would want to re-invent the wheel recreating it on something like the AVR which doesn't really offer much in functionality or performance over the PIC device.

If you are musician and you need to receive completed device it's best idea to copy or buy midiboxes or something like MIDI DJ CJ CONTROLLER :D

But if you want to have some fun time with interesting radio-hobby, maybe better to make modifications or 100% self made devices. But i don't see problems to use experience of peoples who already have skills and completed projects, like TK.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

My MIDI DJ CJ controller was made ready.

I need your help!

MIDI OUT port does not work!

USB port and all functions works well.

PCB double check!

ATMEGA16 pin15 (PD1) always is in a logic high state.

Edited by Fred

• 1 year later...

New controller is released: MIDI DJ CJ CONTROLLER 3.0 USB

http://avargesnano.narod.ru/3/MIDI-DJ-CJ-CONTROLLER-3.0.html

midi-dj-cj-controller-3.0-usb-complete-1.jpg

Now i have 10 knobs, 4 buttons & Jogwheel@encoder, LCD 16x2 symbols.

It connects via USB and work like midi-device in Cubase, FL Studio, Virtual DJ, Ableton, ...

There are schematic, sources, PCB, .hex-flash in the article. Use google translator to read article and translate from russian to your language.

New controller is released: MIDI DJ CJ CONTROLLER 3.0 USB

http://avargesnano.narod.ru/3/MIDI-DJ-CJ-CONTROLLER-3.0.html

midi-dj-cj-controller-3.0-usb-complete-1.jpg

Now i have 10 knobs, 4 buttons & Jogwheel@encoder, LCD 16x2 symbols.

It connects via USB and work like midi-device in Cubase, FL Studio, Virtual DJ, Ableton, ...

There are schematic, sources, PCB, .hex-flash in the article. Use google translator to read article and translate from russian to your language.

I see the newest version uses the midibox 64e firmware! I think this is a good choice so you can spend your time developing hardware instead of software!