Hello!

daleong

Hello forum! I've begun ordering parts for my MIDIbox sequencer and thought that I would take a moment to introduce myself... My name is Dale Ong. I'm 50 years old and began creating experimental/electronic music at about age 10. I have no formal education in either music or electronics, but I have worked with synthesizers my entire life. The highlight of my career was working for Robert Moog at Big Briar in 1982 and '83. During those years Big Briar was mainly a small custom shop. I was the only full-time employee, so I had a unique opportunity to work very closely with Bob.

I'm very excited about the sequencer, and the MIDIbox platform in general. I haven't done any coding for years, and I never really learned "C", but I have experience with Pascal, and have designed some MIDI projects using assembly language programming for the 8031 microcontroller. Most recently I've been building in Reaktor and my Nord modular G2X. MIDI processing and algorithmic composing are my main areas of interest, and I look forward to moving some of my newer creations into dedicated hardware as I become more familiar with the MIDIbox system. Right now I'm still overwhelmed by all there is to learn, but I have no doubt that the rewards will be worth the effort.

Hi Dale and welcome to Midibox.org :twitch:

for building complete projects like the SEQ, you won't need real programming skills, but as you'll move along towards the development of algorithmic stuff etc, you'll find out that especially the new MIOS32 platform is a very powerful environment for custom implementations. At first C looks a bit strange if you don't know it but for someone with ASM and Pascal experience it shouldn't be too difficult to accommodate. Just prepare for a lot of compiler errors because of "x:=5" statements in the first week :ahappy:

As soon as you're getting more serious about programming, there's a forum section called "Programmers' Lounge", you can ask TK to grant you access to that lounge.

Have fun,

S