Recommended Cans

Artesia

found two exceptional pairs of headphones, after looking for something to replace my flimsy, battered Sony MDR v700's

sonymdrv700dj.jpg

* excellent compared to average cans, but bass heavy, dull & distort abit (good for djs i guess, but that was the target market).

* construction is utter crap, too much plastic, designed to break no matter how much you care for them. the novelty swivel hinges always snap & after afew years the leather always starts to flake off.

needed something which was sonically flat, uncoloured & 'affordable' & good as a subsitute for studio monitors on the move & solid enough for live mixing.

the two i found to be truely excellent (there are many crap headphones out there, due to bad design), are the:

AKG K702 - £200-370:

* open back ('best' disphram loading, but poor isolation)

* excellent, uncolored, crisp sound ..so flat, some people may initially perceive them as a little bright.

* as typical of open backs tho, they are a little light on bass.

* somewhat insenstive, need the volume ramping up a little to get them going.

* plasticy construction, but never the less, solid & exhudes quality due to thoughtful, good design.

akgk702thumb.jpg

and for the win, is:

Denon - A-HD2000 - £200:

* closed back (good isolation)

* sound is on par with that of the k702's

* good senstivity, plenty of volume vs input level.

* Has bass !

* built like sodding tanks, plenty of aluminum & attention to engineering detail.

...works well all round :)

denahd2000pic1.jpg

cans compared:

das01f.jpg

das02d.jpg

das03i.jpg

not so sure about the distortion measurment, as i dont quite hear that with the akgs in reality & the sonys definately generate a good wedge of distortion (possibly imd ..which is not accounted for here ?) ..and also i suspect that the objectionables occur at certain levels/ranges outside of their benchmark standard ? curious, in anycase.

denon 2000 & 5000 compared:

d04c.jpg

flatter hf response available in the 5000 version with the wooden can ends (about £500 !), but they exhibit marginally higher distortion it seems.. thinner cone comprimise ?

d05d.jpg

(a little general hf boost/or low cut on monitoring should level out the response of the 2000's nicely :) )

(test info source) - a wealth of info on many cans here:

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/

..ended up with both pairs, as i bought the akgs in from the states first.

Edited by Artesia

I changed the topic from "Reccomeneded Cans" to "Recommended Cans" ;-)

Oh and: Sony MDR 7506 FTW

spelling fail.. :)

the dyslexics bites again..

for the geek out.. heres the insides of the denons:

8806ahd2000inside2.jpg

8806ahd2000inside1.jpg

even has accoustic damping 'wool' in the back (not shown here)

nicked from this review:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/review/2...0-Headphones/p2

also, i have now added some plots for the cans :)

What he said.

not heard them to comment.. sony really put me off with their later efforts, wasnt aware of these.. tho will keep an ear out for those :)

mind.. heres a plot comparing the 2000's and sonys predecessor, the v6 ..mixed bag of pros and cons based on their measurements.. assuming that its similar, allbeit slightly improved for the new version.. sony would certainly seem to be offering a really good bargain there for £119 at DV247 :)

(however that very same dip in the hf 10k+ made the sony v700's sound dead in the top end)

take your pick :)

sonym.jpg

less apparent bottom & top end extension on the (older ver 6) sonys, but 'flatter' by default thru the passband.

Edited by Artesia

apparently, this is the plot for the sony mdr-v7506:

mdr7506.gif

from here:

http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/mdr-7506.html

& here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sony-mdr-v6-too-bright-fatiguing-how-does-jvc-ha-rx700-compare-466419/

hmm..

note thats 20db between the lines on the graph !

..ill give them a chance & go listen.. but feedbacks been abit mixed :)

Edited by Artesia