Desktop Case Concept

Altitude

So I am considering designing an all aluminum desktop case for another x0x build and it occurred to me that it may be a good fit to the SEQ also. This is the "side profile 1" FPE enclosure which just consists of two extruded sides, front and back panels, and top and bottom panels with a groove down each side. I have used this case for my TM3030 rack and they work out great and are not expensive. I paid $70 for the 1u with machined front and back panels but I did not do the top and bottom panels at FPE (they were $40 ea.) and just used 1/16" aluminum sheet from the local metal supply. What I would like to know from someone is what is the PCB + component height off of the face plate when all is said and done? There are two different side profiles height wise but a 1u would be really nice and thin.

The FPE enclosure

SP1right_big.jpg

someones implementation of it:

blue_x0x_backpanel.jpg

Edited by Altitude

Those profiles come in 42mm and 56mm (most common), even with 42mm an LCD is not really an issue when it comes to height.

I'm more concerned about stuffing an ultracore or core32 in there and having it clear the mainboard. So does anything stick out past the 10mm spacer and PCB?

Edited by Altitude

I'm more concerned about stuffing an ultracore or core32 in there and having it clear the mainboard. So does anything stick out past the 10mm spacer and PCB?

Do you mean the MB-SEQ control surface PCB that I made? The backs of the LCD stick out a few mm past the CS PCB back... and the datawheel encoder is "panel mounted" to the PCB, so the body of the encoder is behind the PCB (maybe 5-7mm?). Plus if you use standard IDC connectors on the headers, allow for their height, plus the plastic part of the header.

Do you mean the MB-SEQ control surface PCB that I made? The backs of the LCD stick out a few mm past the CS PCB back... and the datawheel encoder is "panel mounted" to the PCB, so the body of the encoder is behind the PCB (maybe 5-7mm?). Plus if you use standard IDC connectors on the headers, allow for their height, plus the plastic part of the header.

yeah, looking at your board. So i'll just call it at 20mm from the front panel and see if it will fit..