FPD cut out for LCD display

LetterBeacon

I bought this LCD display for my Midibox CV http://www.futurlec.com/LED/LCD16x2BL.shtml and I'm now trying to design a front panel using Schaeffer's front panel software. Unfortunately the dimensions given in the datasheet don't seem to fully match up with measurements I have taken using a ruler on the LCD display. I've tried a few different measurements on paper but they don't seem to come out right.

Has anyone used this LCD display when designing a front panel and do they have a template they could upload?

Thanks a lot!

Hm...unless you find someone using exactly the same lce you have to measure. A decent caliper would be great. May you can borrow one from a friend or get one. Would be handy for almost every project.

But even a good ruler should give you satisfying results.

using a ruler isnt really the best idea and the drawing does show tolerances of o/u (over or under) dimension size. on the back of your lcd you will have the exact model number of the lcd, check its the right one for the data sheet, if not, google the model number and you will find the data sheet.

look on ebay and buy yourself a nice set of calipers, i have digital and dial calipers. they dont cost much anymore.

also here is an idea, there are some free cad programs on the net, grab one, draw the data sheet data to the cad software, now you dont need everything, you want the outer dimension, the 4 holes and the centre cutout rectangle, then print it on stiff paper say a 210gsm paper and cut it out with a sharp scalpel or craft knife, then put it on the lcd, that way you can check it on a 1:1 scale, this way you can check the placement of the holes to the screen centre etc.

like this

post-6406-126738812517_thumb.jpg

Edited by ssp

...what ssp said : )

if you cant get good physical measurements, then do your printout with centermarks on the hole (cross hairs) and then, when youre looking through the pcb onto the sheet of paper behind, judge how far out the hole is.

alter the CAD file, and then repeat.

can take some time, but you can get it perfect in the end.

good luck : )