Any interest in more 19" MBSeq v4 panels? - LIST CLOSING END OF TODAY (Monday 15th)

julianf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Julian, got my panel today, pretty nice work! ;)

Me too. Thanks!

By the way I need to get some spacers now. I have some 30mm ones and I am thinking I will cut them all different heights if I try to use my dremel. I just wanna get some futurelec ones cause I have no local stores that carry them but I am gonna hate the long wait for the spacers from futurelec (yes I should have planned ahead) Anyways, futurelec is dirt cheap I can get 24 for less than $4 + shipping.

My question is: What size should I get? I measured the distance from pcb to panel and came up with 10mm. Should I get 10mm spacers? I might have to get them from mouser or digikey to feed my lack of patience with shipping from futurelec. I could get all 19 needed for like $8 + shipping. they have so many kinds though and I get fustrated with the mass amount of options.

Me too. Thanks!

By the way I need to get some spacers now. I have some 30mm ones and I am thinking I will cut them all different heights if I try to use my dremel. I just wanna get some futurelec ones cause I have no local stores that carry them but I am gonna hate the long wait for the spacers from futurelec (yes I should have planned ahead) Anyways, futurelec is dirt cheap I can get 24 for less than $4 + shipping.

My question is: What size should I get? I measured the distance from pcb to panel and came up with 10mm. Should I get 10mm spacers? I might have to get them from mouser or digikey to feed my lack of patience with shipping from futurelec. I could get all 19 needed for like $8 + shipping. they have so many kinds though and I get fustrated with the mass amount of options.

Generally you need 12mm spacers for the "main" mounting holes of the PCB (as the mounting 'blinds' are 2mm deep) and 10mm for any additional surface mounted spacers that you use (although I found that I didn't need any)

I then glued 10mm spacers into the blinds for the LCD but that depends on what LCD you are using.

Cheers

Phil

Yep, 12mm for the main mount holes + 10mm spacers for extra support, just tested yesterday using only 12m spacers, the pcb bends a little when pressing switches in the middle, like 1 mm so I guess after a while this could be a problem(broken solder joints), better to add extra 10 mm spacers.

Beware, get 5mm thick spacers as 5.5mm thick won't fit into the panel mount holes.

btw. is it just me or the 3mm leds don't fit into the holes, any tip to make them fit?

im out of town at present (only on dialup) so not saying much...

the led holes on the panel were not altered from wilbas design, and all the panels were cut the same.

most electronic components vary in size a little, so you could try a different brand? matching the leds to the existing holes would certainly be easier than opening out the exising holes, but, of course, we're not talking mb6582 panels, so if you do need to open up the holes, thats possible too.

if you do want to open the holes up, id advise drilling from the rear of the panel, and making very sure that you lie the front side of the panel on somthing relativly soft, like, for example, paper.

id drill them with a battery powered drill too, as they generally run slower, and are more controlable.

but, again, it may well be easier to try a different brand of leds first?

(again, im away at the moment, but will be back on dsl next week)

julian