MIDIbox 64 questions

harrywright88

Hi guys,

Just a couple of simple questions that I can't seem to find an answer to. I'm planning to build a midibox64 with about 24 potentiometers.

Im going to upload the bootloader myself with a pickit2, then upload the MIOS via MIDI once its in the core board.

My question is, when the firmware and MIOS is on the chip, and I have some pots connected, will the controller be outputting MIDI data, so I can control parameters on say Max/MSP?

I ask this, as I have read about having to upload application software as well, but I'm quite unsure of what it does.

Finally, I'm planning not to include an LCD, but if I was to include one, what advantages would there be?

If anyone can shed some light on these issues, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Harry

The CORE8 module has 3 'layers' of software.

Bootloader: Only knows how to send an upload request and program the flash if it receives a response. If no response, it starts MIOS if it exists, or reboots if not.

MIOS: Handles all communication with all devices but not very useful on it's own (displays READY on an LCD !!)

Application: This is the bit that tells MIOS what it wants to do.

Once you have the bootloader on your PIC then MIOS and the application can be uploaded over MIDI (use MIOS Studio or MIOS Studio v2 to do this) http://www.ucapps.de/mios_download.html has downloads for all of TK's completed applications. There are other apps available as well that people have created for other projects. Take a look at the wiki for more information on these.

The advantage of an LCD should be fairly self-evident. It lets you see what is going on :)

Cheers

Phil

I'd include the LCD, as Phil says, it really will show you what is going on. Not only that, when you turm your pots a nice little bargraph is displayed which will impress everyone.

Don't forget that you will need to ground any unused pins on the AIn board as this will cause the PIC to output streams of data wehich you don't want.

S

Thanks guys,

I've taken a look at the link that Phil provided and I assume that "midibox64_v2_4d.zip - The complete PIC18F port of MIDIbox64" is the application I should be using if I'm building a midibox64?

If I'm to include an LCD screen, am I right to think I'm going to need some buttons to navigate it?

Regards,

Harry