MBHP_ETH, MBHP_SDCARD, SSM2044, SSM2164 PCB Bulk Order

seppoman

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are soldering them by hand yourself!? Hope there were not too many ordered ;)

well not entirely by hand (although that wouldn't take that much longer). I'm using a reflow oven, then remove any excess solder by hand and finally use an ultrasonic bath to remove any flux remains. There are 65 pieces ordered and I'm estimating two evenings of soldering, so it's not that bad ;)

S

• 2 weeks later...

Update - the PCB house just informed me that the PCBs are scheduled to ship tomorrow. I was already wondering why they didn't arrive by now. Obviously they did a re-run of the ETH PCB because E-test revealed a short circuit on some of their "first try". The shipment should be here by end of this week.

The SD sockets are already at my place, so I know what to do this weekend ;)

S

I notice the ENC28J60 (for MBHP_ETH) isn't too widely available (i.e. not at all in my Australasia).

Bulk order? Or just add it to my next Mouser/Digikey order?

Any Aussies (and Kiwis) needing an ENC28J60 source can piggyback onto my next Mouser/Digikey order.

Maybe I should just get all the parts for the MBHP_ETH module in bulk... some of the other parts would be hard to find here.

Does anyone already have a BOM for Mouser?

Any Aussies (and Kiwis) needing an ENC28J60 source can piggyback onto my next Mouser/Digikey order.

Maybe I should just get all the parts for the MBHP_ETH module in bulk... some of the other parts would be hard to find here.

Does anyone already have a BOM for Mouser?

This is the one I've put together, haven't ordered yet - I'll probably put it in with parts for a 16x16 BLM. Might be best if you check it, in particular I think I wasn't sure of the Magjack.

Ethernet IC 579-ENC28J60/SP 1 $4.90 $4.90

magjack? 523-RJHSE-5381 1 $1.58 $1.58

25mhz crystal 695-HC49US-25-U 1 $0.78 $0.78

ceramic cap 18pF 140-50N2-180J-RC 2 $0.10 $0.19

ceramic cap .01uF 140-50Z5-103M-RC 2 $0.14 $0.27

ceramic cap .1uF 140-50U5-104M-RC 3 $0.30 $0.89

tantal cap 10uF 80-T351E106M16AT 1 $0.70 $0.70

electrolytic 100uF 140-LLRL16V100-RC 1 $0.46 $0.46

2.32kohm metal film 1% ¼ watt 271-2.32K-RC 1 $0.18 $0.18

49.9ohm metal film 1% ¼ watt 271-49.9-RC 4 $0.18 $0.70

220ohm metal film 1% ¼ watt 271-220-RC 2 $0.18 $0.35

ferrit bead 10uH 434-22-100 1 $0.27 $0.27

2x5 header 517-30310-6002 1 $0.55 $0.55

This is the one I've put together, haven't ordered yet - I'll probably put it in with parts for a 16x16 BLM. Might be best if you check it, in particular I think I wasn't sure of the Magjack.

Ethernet IC 579-ENC28J60/SP 1 $4.90 $4.90

25mhz crystal 695-HC49US-25-U 1 $0.78 $0.78

ceramic cap 18pF 140-50N2-180J-RC 2 $0.10 $0.19

ceramic cap .01uF 140-50Z5-103M-RC 2 $0.14 $0.27

ceramic cap .1uF 140-50U5-104M-RC 3 $0.30 $0.89

tantal cap 10uF 80-T351E106M16AT 1 $0.70 $0.70

electrolytic 100uF 140-LLRL16V100-RC 1 $0.46 $0.46

2.32kohm metal film 1% ¼ watt 271-2.32K-RC 1 $0.18 $0.18

49.9ohm metal film 1% ¼ watt 271-49.9-RC 4 $0.18 $0.70

220ohm metal film 1% ¼ watt 271-220-RC 2 $0.18 $0.35

ferrit bead 10uH 434-22-100 1 $0.27 $0.27

2x5 header 517-30310-6002 1 $0.55 $0.55

I'll be in! Cheers! Maybe one day I'll have an actual use for MB_ETH :thumbsup:

That one is completely wrong. It doesn't even have integrated magnetics ("transformer"). It's not sufficient that it has a hole where you can stick a LAN cable in ;)

The "official ones" are made by Bel Stewart (Belfuse) and have the Word MagJack embossed. And even Bel Stewart makes hundreds of different models, some are suitable, most aren't. They have different footprints, pin configurations, different setups and properties of the transformer part etc.

Part numbers:

SI-60062-F

SI-60024-F

SI-40141-F

There are a few other Bel Stewart parts available e.g. from Digikey that mainly differ in LED colors. I will make a list of more suitable part numbers tonight. It looks like Mouser doesn't sell Bel Stewart parts at all, so better check out Digikey for the other parts, too.

There's dozens of manufacturers making literally thousands of different varieties of these "MagJacks". E.g. I'm using a Tyco part for another project, some people are using PulseJack parts with ENCs on the net. But at least the Tyco has a different pinout. Maybe there is even some part from a different manufacturer that has a matching pinout etc, but finding these would involve comparing thousands of datasheets, so better stick with the Bel Stewart parts.

S

ok I've searched a bit, and the known part numbers are really hard to source in the US. Also half of the shops in Germany that I knew of are out of stock and stating an expected shipping date of around October (!).

Looking at the datasheets, I've found at least two models that are in stock at Digikey that are suitable. Part numbers are SI-60001-F and SI-60005-F. Both are reasonably priced and differ only in LED colors. If you wanna build your ETH modules before end of year, I'd suggest not to wait too long to order these connectors as it looks like supply is not too dependable right now and the manufacturer has quite long lead times.

I'll try to find you some more part numbers in the next days (also I hope there might be a few compatible parts from other manufacturers).

S

Jubilee Post No. 1000, hurray :afro:

The PCBs finally arrived, and I've even already completed soldering all the SD sockets. I'm only waiting for a final Go! from TK who is about to test the ETH and SDCARD module. So the PCBs will start shipping within the next few days. Padded envelopes are ready :)

BTW I've got a few spares of the ETH and SDCARD module available, and there's about 50 spares each of both SSM PCBs.

The ETH/SDCARD spare PCBs are meant to bridge the gap until SmashTV will eventually start offering these, so please only order these if you know you won't just put them on the shelf for years but you will use them in the next months. I won't sell more than one of each per person if you don't come up with a good explanation why you would need 10 ETHs immediately ;)

S

Jubilee Post No. 1000, hurray :afro:

The PCBs finally arrived, and I've even already completed soldering all the SD sockets. I'm only waiting for a final Go! from TK who is about to test the ETH and SDCARD module. So the PCBs will start shipping within the next few days. Padded envelopes are ready :)

BTW I've got a few spares of the ETH and SDCARD module available, and there's about 50 spares each of both SSM PCBs.

The ETH/SDCARD spare PCBs are meant to bridge the gap until SmashTV will eventually start offering these, so please only order these if you know you won't just put them on the shelf for years but you will use them in the next months. I won't sell more than one of each per person if you don't come up with a good explanation why you would need 10 ETHs immediately ;)

S

Congratulations for the 1000 posts!

I won't sell more than one of each per person if you don't come up with a good explanation why you would need 10 ETHs immediately ;)

I don't even know why I would need even 1 ETH ever... ;)

Congratulations on 1000 posts!

• 2 weeks later...

A little update again - in the meantime, TK has built and tested both new modules and everything's fine, so I can start shipping PCBs now :) bad news is that I'm having a very busy week at work, so I didn't manage to do any packing and labeling yet. I'm hoping for some time on the weekend though, so I promise I'll hit the post office next week :)

S

A little update again - in the meantime, TK has built and tested both new modules and everything's fine, so I can start shipping PCBs now :) bad news is that I'm having a very busy week at work, so I didn't manage to do any packing and labeling yet. I'm hoping for some time on the weekend though, so I promise I'll hit the post office next week :)

S

Good! My SSM2044 are starting to get bored...

The first half of shipments was posted yesterday - the poor lady at the Post office got totally confused with all the different postage options etc :whistle: I'm trying to pack the rest during the weekend and post them early next week.

Uhm yes, I should probably get some docu and parts list for the SSM2164 PCB online soon so you guys know what parts to order. At least the parts list will come on the weekend.

Happy soldering :)

S

This is the datasheet: http://www.farnell.com/cad/358993.pdf

The card isn't completely centered when inserted, but I moved the socket a tiny bit to the right to compensate this. so you can assume the SD card centered on the PCB edge. Nevertheless, as the position holes on the pcb are slightly larger than the socket's plasic "pins", i.e. the socket might move around in the reflow process for maybe one or two tenths of a mm, I recommend to allow at least 0.5 mm tolerance left and right of the SD card.

S

Progress... I've shipped another bunch of PCBs yesterday and packed almost all for shipping tomorrow. After that, there's only half a dozen people left that either have ordered more than 8 PCBs or more than 4 2044 PCBs - last week I found out that the padded envelopes I bought are a bit on the small side, so I can't fit in more than two 2044 PCBs stacked whithout the envelope getting too narrow. I've ordered a pack of larger envelopes on Monday but am still awaiting delivery. I won't be in town from friday for about a week, so if they don't show up tomorrow, I'm afraid these people will have to wait for a little longer :rolleyes: