Should I get a Core 32 or the old one????

The Third Man

Hi - I have searched for answers on this but can't find anything definitive.

Can you update me on the state of play with the Core 32 - it looks like it would be much much better to have in a midibox 64, is it compatible, and if so is that pending a rewrite of the software?? (Sadly I have no programming knowledge so I can't be any help updating software)

Out of interest if in theory the new core did work with the midibox 64 does that substantially increase the number of pots one can put on the core.

Is anyone working on this software update at the mo (I know TK has much to do) - I cant reciprocate in programming skills sadly, but if I can help another way I will. So basicvally should I build with the new or the old??

Cheers

It depends on your usecase - if you only want to send/receive some MIDI events with pots/buttons/LEDs/encoders, a small application can quickly be compiled based on the tutorial examples.

If you want to change your MB64 configuration w/o a computer, a user interface like known from the MB64 firmware will be required, and the re-implementation of this would take "a bit" longer.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I already built a 64 with the old core, so I would like this to be a step up. I dont really edit on the box, although would like to in future.

I just used Serge's midibox editor program last time and never edit on the box. I take it this wouldnt work with the 32? If so would I have to get involved in the sysex stuff?

I know time and workload is an issue, but are there plans to update the software for the 64 or will it be left as is?

My feeling is to go with thte 32 and hope by the time I complete there is some progress - otherwise I guess I would then have to learn it. Thanks

I dont really edit on the box, although would like to in future.
Then you still need Midibox64 to be able to do that.

I just used Serge's midibox editor program last time and never edit on the box. I take it this wouldnt work with the 32?
Correct, it won't work with the 32bit core module, because there's no software for it to communicate with.

If so would I have to get involved in the sysex stuff?
You're going to have to get involved with more than SYSEX... You're going to have to learn to program in the C language and understand how to follow and modify the examples for controls on your box. It's not impossible to do. But if you're doing anything more complex than checking a few buttons and pots then it's going to get more complex and take you a LOT of time to learn.

My feeling is to go with the 32 and hope by the time I complete there is some progress - otherwise I guess I would then have to learn it. Thanks

My feeling is that you should stick with the current cores rather than the new one! the 32bit Core and its software isn't ready yet for end users who don't want to have to program things and write their own applications, unless they are already a software programmer or have a very large amount of time to spend to learn software programming.

In any case the current cores and midibox64 software, sounds like it does everything you need it to. So unless you have some sort of extremely custom application in mind, you should stick with the current core!

I realise that this is not the answer you're wanting people to give you. But if you haven't already done at least some software programming you're going to struggle with this, it's a heck of a lot to learn in one chunk.

You really shouldn't consider the 32Bit Cores until either the software is ready for you, off the shelf...OR you are ready and able to actually write the software, yourself. My advice would be go read all the MIOS32 documentation and check all the software code examples to see if you think you can write your own.

Best Regards,

Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Edited by Fozzy The Bear

Thanks Julian - I was more the added physical fucntionality that I was really after as from what I coudl undesratnd it looked like the Core 32 would be able to take more AINS? as from the diagram I saw it looked like it could take up to 96 inputs on the one core

Thanks for the advice though I think you are right and dont want to be left with a controller that I can't use. I guess I could then in future just update the core and leave the rest in place.

Cheers

from what I coudl undesratnd it looked like the Core 32 would be able to take more AINS?

Yes they can.... But you can get the same functionality from the existing cores and software by chaining two cores together and using the Midi Link function. It's almost like the two cores then behave as one. You can even use a single LCD for both cores when you do that.

Best Regards,

Julian (Fozzy The Bear)